• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Ash (along with May and Dawn) have actually learnt about being Trainers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I imagine they're like Driving Schools in the US. Where I live you must have your Learner's Permit before enrolling in Driving School.

Similarly you must have your Pokemon Training License before going to Training School.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I've been thinking about this, and I realized something: in the original series, Ash wasn't that dumb. Sure he did dumb things, but he could recognize Pokemon, he knew Caterpie's moves, he knew how to camp, swim, etc. He thought more with his heart than with his head, so he seemed dumb, but he wasn't a complete idiot. He needed to mature, that's all.

I don't know about May; I haven't seen much past the original series.

Last edited:

matt0044

I've been thinking about this, and I realized something: in the original series, Ash wasn't that dumb. Sure he did dumb things, but he could recognize Pokemon, he knew Caterpie's moves, he knew how to camp, swim, etc. He thought more with his heart than with his head, and made him seem dumb, but he wasn't a complete idiot. He needed to mature, that's all.

You got that right. But even then, I question Oak's decision (movie four or otherwise) to give the kid Pikachu who was very distrustful. Sure they got along but if they didn't, Ash wouldn't been made into Swiss cheese by those Spearows. Just saying that a lot could've gone wrong and it's these reasons the "ten year old" aspect of Trainer is frequently questioned.

pacman000

You got that right. But even then, I question Oak's decision (movie four or otherwise) to give the kid Pikachu who was very distrustful. Sure they got along but if they didn't, Ash wouldn't been made into Swiss cheese by those Spearows. Just saying that a lot could've gone wrong and it's these reasons the "ten year old" aspect of Trainer is frequently questioned.
True, but Ho-oh was near by, so it he would've been ok. ;)

Perhaps he needed experience to mature? The games implied that being a Pokemon trainer was a coming-of-age, right of passage type thing. Perhaps the show's writers picked up on that and decided to use it. (Here I go mixing continuities again; please forgive me.)

Last edited:

matt0044

True, but Ho-oh was near by, so it he would've been ok. ;)

Perhaps he needed experience to mature? The games implied that being a Pokemon trainer was a coming-of-age, right of passage type thing. Perhaps the show's writers picked up on that and decided to use it. (Here I go mixing continuities again; please forgive me.)

I guess so but it begs the question: have any Trainers actually died on their journey?

And out of the three, May and Dawn are the biggest offenders as they seem to forget or just not know even the most basic knowledge at the beginning when they should've had. Ash didn't start out so bad but BW... oh boy.

pacman000

Arguably, Ash has died a few times, but he always came back.

I imagine the most powerful, most dangerous Pokemon are either rare, or fully evolved forms in the hands of experienced trainers. There are also plenty of Pokemon Centers and friendly way stations to protect young trainers, so the journey's not as risky as it would seem.

Last edited:

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I guess so but it begs the question: have any Trainers actually died on their journey?

Sure, but it's a relatively rare occurrence.

We saw that at least two Pokemon outlived their Trainers in Johto. They did not detail how they died, but only that they were deceased.

matt0044

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I can just imagine the conversation.

Ash: Hi mom!

Deliah: Hi Sweetie! How was your trip?

Ash: Aw, it was all right. I died once but now I'm not dead!

Deliah: ...

... and thus was the end of Ash's Pokemon Journey.

matt0044

I can just imagine the conversation.

Ash: Hi mom!

Deliah: Hi Sweetie! How was your trip?

Ash: Aw, it was all right. I died once but now I'm not dead!

Deliah: ...

... and thus was the end of Ash's Pokemon Journey.

Hell, I'm surprised that she never heard of him sinking with the S.S. Anne when an Officer Jenny knew and threw roses down at the sinking sight because they were believed to be dead.

Hell, I'm surprised that she never heard of him sinking with the S.S. Anne when an Officer Jenny knew and threw roses down at the sinking sight because they were believed to be dead.

Considering they never run into THAT Officer Jenny, better to let that be swept under the rug.

matt0044

Considering they never run into THAT Officer Jenny, better to let that be swept under the rug.

What about the news? Surely the sinking of a ship would've caught the media's attention.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The whole concept of this discussion is silly. This is the same universe where 10 year olds are allowed to travel with no adult supervision.

iraqmaster

I always wondered that to become a licensed pokemon trainer by the pokemon league, one's child is entered into a special program where in addition to basic stuff like arithmetic, writing, and reading, the kid learnns pokemon techniques like battling, caring for a sick pokemon, type matchups, and whatnot. And at the end of the course, they would have a chance to demonstrate their skills in a series of battles. If they get a high enough score, then they would be allowed to start off on their pokemon journey...

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I always wondered that to become a licensed pokemon trainer by the pokemon league, one's child is entered into a special program where in addition to basic stuff like arithmetic, writing, and reading, the kid learnns pokemon techniques like battling, caring for a sick pokemon, type matchups, and whatnot.

That's how it worked in the manga inspired by the anime.

The key difference there was that Ash was only given leave from attending school. He was not exempt from coursework because he was a Pokemon Trainer, so he cycled between time on the road and going back to school.

Status
Not open for further replies.