1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Should Ash Be More Serious Or Comical?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by DatsRight, Aug 17, 2018.

1. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Okay, here's another one that comes up a LOT in other discussions. Given the very divisive nature of how Ash is portrayed in various series (especially XY against SM) what light do you think Ash's personality works better in? Light hearted and clownish, or seriously taken and dignified?

2. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

well, what makes a Pokemon series interesting with Ash's character dynamics for me would be a perfect mix of the two. Take Ash's XY characteristics, but make him feel more light hearted and clownish at times when appropriate. Make him feel like he can be serious when the situation calls for it concerning Pokemon or a person, but make him feel light hearted in touching moments.

3. light hearted and comical is best, but either option is better than swapping back and forth between the two each generation

"i dunno let's try both!"

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Dragalge, satopi, JC317 and 4 others like this.
  4. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ The Moonlit Raven

I'd like a balance between the two, similar to AG Ash. Just please don't do another XY Ash and to a lesser extent DP Ash again.

5. Darthlord7

Darthlord7 Let me hear the voice of your Pokémon!

Light hearted and clownish in his everyday life while being serious and badass when the situation needs him to be.

6. Ignition

Ignition Let's Go supporters are worse than the complainers

Make him a loveable goof ball who knows when to get serious when it comes to justice. I like Ash for the fact that he gets involved no matter if it's to bond with his Pokémon or to help those in need. He shouldn't need to be strictly serious or comedic. He's serious when it comes to having fun and means well when it comes to getting serious.

Think about it: would you react the same way to every situation life throws at you? Ash shouldn't be serious over some side competition(I.e a COTD tells him about some anime exclusive event) to the point where he'll lash out for losing or be immature over people's lives being at risk. It's unrealistic to expect Ash, a 10 year old who lives in a world full of mysterious creatures that he centers his life around, to be static.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  7. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

Also, it would help to make him serious while having a ton of fun in League battles and battles in general when facing someone of great caliber. Like in the Kalos League, where he knew a lot of stuff was on the line if he wanted to win.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    DuquÊ?, keepitsimple and Ignition like this.
  8. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist A caustic critic among überfans

Light-hearted is better but I feel SM is already doing the balancing act fairly well. He's still got his competence from all his experience and being super serious is pretty boring if you ask me.

9. Ignition

Ignition Let's Go supporters are worse than the complainers

I think another issue is that we exaggerate what being serious and fun loving is. Being serious doesn't equate to being edgy and pessimistic. Likewise being light hearted doesn't mean being immature and unable to take on marture themes

10. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

More like AG Ash. Perfect mixture of serious and funny, actively works towards his goal..... has an actual goal.
    Not another SM, BW, or XY Ash pls

11. Ashton Ketchum

Ashton Ketchum Well-Known Member

Serious! Because - we have enough this comical Ash in SM for the rest of our lives.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  12. Genaller

Genaller PeaLyZard GreScepIn

Well Ash’s progression from OS to DP gradually saw him become more serious and XY Ash also continued that trend as the true successor of DP Ash though honestly I’ve never understood the notion that DP/XY Ash isn’t light hearted. Ash at his core has always been overzealous which results in plenty of light hearted moments in every series though people tend to not factor that in for DP and especially XY because his serious side was more pronounced in those 2 series. Honestly while I admit that AG Ash was the most “balanced” I’d rather not have that again since it would be an insult to the character growth Ash had in that series (he improved his patience, humility, concentration and became less impetuous though he’s still reckless when the situation requires it). At the same time though I wish Ash had retained his OS/AG wit in DP/XY (and his wittiness was actually hilarious back then unlike the Trubbish slapstick side of him witnessed in SM); I understand that loosing his wit was to indicate that Ash has become more humble though it did sort of take away from his personality. Ultimately though I respect Ash’s OS -> AG -> DP -> XY progression, so in terms of personality I’d like him to progress from where he was in XY though admittedly his character doesn’t have much left to improve on from there. Here are some things an Ash continuing from his OS -> AG -> DP -> XY progression could do:

— Learn how to use Entry Hazards
    — Take a more active role in instructing a younger trainer
    — Learn how to cook

I’m particularly interested in seeing him do the first 2 someday.

13. DatsRight

I feel like Ash's personality should kinda translate to the tone of each series, which again would work better if he was a capable of being comical and serious. I don't think the companion dynamic works as well if you restrict certain characters to JUST serious or JUST comic relief, it works out better if they're equals. Some thought XY gradually put Ash on too much of a pedestal for example, while others think SM singles Ash out as the group butt monkey a bit too much. This can have effect on not just Ash, but the others as well, since they're being robbed of balance and risk becoming one note to accommodate him.

Granted I think substance is important to how tone is depicted. Comedic is different to being straight up comic relief for example. A character whose serious or comical in a one dimensional way that stops them merging with the rest of the show is different to one who actually uses said traits to give them a unique role and chemistry. Maybe this is why SM Ash feels a bit better balanced because they accept him being comical doesn't demote him to being incompetent stagnant comic relief whose 'unworthy' of the more earnest moments in the show, and even contribute some of his more whimsical elements to what makes him effective at times.

Notice a similar treatment in his Pokemon, Poipole and Rowlet are comical but aren't begrudged important moments, while Lycanroc and Torracat aren't safeguarded from the silly antics and losing their dignity like previous evolved aces like Greninja.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  14. Satomine Night

Satomine Night The Power of Z!

I think Ash should be both—serious when the situation calls for it, and comical when the situation calls for it. And for the most part, I think Ash has always been both, albeit to varying degrees depending on the tone of each series. His tendency to be overzealous and brash, jumping into a situation without thinking it through first, often leads to comical moments. On the other hand, he also has a serious side to him, such as when he is an important battle.

15. cmarston1

cmarston1 Animation Enthusiast

Depends on how serious or how comical we are talking about. Personally I just want to see more of a balance, such as in AG.

Captain Jigglypuff likes this.
  16. pokedigijedi

pokedigijedi Saiyan Jedi

He should be an edgelord, I'm joking of course.

But in all seriousness, yes I would like Ash to be serious, I have had enough of goofball Ash for several lifetimes

17. DatsRight

I do think Ash has a bit more depth to him as a clown at face value (at face value being different from his entire depth), since I think he has more of a unique touch to him as something of an eccentric weirdo like he is in SM and early points of XY. That such a character can still be serious and insightful when the time calls for it only makes it more effective.

There's plenty characters in franchises who are by technicality the comic relief of the cast, and yet somehow provide some of the most emotionally powerful or gratifying scenes in the franchise they inhabit. If anything I think the idea that SM Ash is a character that often acts like the bumbling comic relief and yet constantly proves to be far more effective and depthful than such is pretty awesome. He's an enigma.

FlygontheRavager likes this.
  18. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

A balance would be nice: he was essentially in the middle during Advanced Generation, and I hope he'll go back to that state of being in Gen VIII.

19. SH65

SH65 Well-Known Member

I say he should be Serious with a bit of a Comical side.

20. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

If you’re familiar with King Bumi from Avatar, I believe that’s the best direction for Ash: someone who is smart but also completely crazy.