• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Ash Be More Serious Or Comical?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The Sun & Moon Satoshi has been great. He's entertaining outside of battles and inside of battles. I can't wait to see how he gets hurt in gags and he's had nice serious moments, too, like the death of Moolander. I seriously hope the next Satoshi doesn't abandon this.
Yeah I really don't want another op, battle robot Ash. He works best as an underdog imho

DatsRight

I could argue it's not just comedy but also being emotive AND being taken out of the formula and his comfort zone far more often. As mentioned SM Ash relies on the battling formula way less than other incarnations and they are more liable to play an episode with him all the way through instead of using the usual short cuts like Team Rocket, COTDs or DEMs, meaning he is granted more opportunities to hold a story on his own, giving him versatility and character agency. Some of the usual cheap elements still exist here and there (eg. plot armour moments or being 'the chosen one' to the legendaries) but they don't overtake his actual involvement as a character, which I sometimes felt with other versions of Ash.

That extra whimsy and expressiveness definitely does help, though I do see what some fans mean when it could be toned down a little (but not completely). And I do love when a clownish hero proves to have WAY more depth and competence than what is expected (I think there's a better contrast between him and Gladion than with Alain for this reason). Comedy isn't the whole solution however, just substance to it, some of the other cast members in SM don't do nearly as well after all.

Last edited:

Shooti

Uber Trainer
If being serious means a better battler then I would prefer Satoshi acting more serious (or more maturely) for the most part. Otherwise, A fine blend of seriousness mixed with quirkiness would work best for me. I'd say DP Ash and Ash is the early XY are my most preferred Ash in general as for the personality traits.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Shooti said:
If being serious means a better battler then I would prefer Satoshi acting more serious (or more maturely) for the most part. Otherwise, A fine blend of seriousness mixed with quirkiness would work best for me. I'd say DP Ash and Ash is the early XY are my most preferred Ash in general as for the personality traits.

I'm fine with quirkiness, but in recent sagas it just doesn't feel genuine when Satoshi acts that way. What I wish he had is more sass, like he had during the beginning of OS.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Rewatching the OS episodes, really makes you appreciate all the sarcasm and humor from the OS. I do think Ash should be somewhat serious to show his progress but not become bland like he occasionally was in XY and DP. I think comedy is essential and that he should have a perfect mix of the two.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Here’s what I want: A combination of both serious and comical that is equally balanced most of the time until certain situations occur such as banter with TRio or a League battle. When interacting with TRio, Ash is mostly jaded because he knows that they really aren’t much of a threat a majority of the time and he acts cynical and says ridiculous things to them. Occasionally TRio come up with something that completely is unexpected and Ash acts comical because he is actually surprised and doesn’t know how to respond to TRio’s surprise attack. Don’t make him a total idiot that is oblivious to his surroundings but also don’t turn him into a Batman character that is too serious and rarely laughs or smiles. Give him some emotion and a personality that isn’t annoying or boring. That is what we need.