• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Ash get a new love interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I Choose You

As in Pokémon: I Choose You the Movie. Which is an AU retelling of the first episode plus a Ho-Oh quest.

Psajdak

I Choose You

As in Pokémon: I Choose You the Movie. Which is an AU retelling of the first episode plus a Ho-Oh quest.
Ah that...

Well, I know that that reboot movie is AU, but Ash in main Pokemon series was always the same person.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Pokemon anime series Ash was always the same Ash.
Did you not put together the acronym that is right next to what I was saying. I Choose You! Ash a.k.a. (as known as) movie version of Ash is not the same as Ash from the anime series.

Psajdak

Did you not put together the acronym that is right next to what I was saying. I Choose You! Ash a.k.a. (as known as) movie version of Ash is not the same as Ash from the anime series.
Ah, now that you've mentioned it, you did say something like that...

Well, whatever.

Falconmaroni

Technically Ash already did. In the OS they did have Misty intended as a love interest in the first two seasons but killed it off in Johto when they realized the show would never end, and because Takeshi Shudo never cared for Misty.

Serena technically was the "new love interest" as she came roughly 10 years after Misty left from 2002 to 2013. So for those asking this question, it already happened. That's why so many original fans were surprised Serena's crush was a thing, because it wasn't something we had since the old Kanto/orange era of Misty. Pokeshipping was dropped and replaced with Amour.

bmw9413

I'm not the biggest Amourshipping fan but at this point if the show ends or they do a timeskip then Ash should definitely be with Serena. The writers didn't go all out of their way to create that backstory between them to not set them up for a future relationship/marriage.
Misty has been gone from the show for YEARS (until S/M) and even now she shows 0 interest in Ash, she clearly has outgrown him. That and Serena is the first and only girl to truly confess her feelings to Ash, and even kissed him ON THE LIPS.

Naruto/Hinata was a one sided crush and yet they married and had children. So if they can live happily ever after I don't see why Ash/Serena cant.

KukuiFanatic501

I'm not the biggest Amourshipping fan but at this point if the show ends or they do a timeskip then Ash should definitely be with Serena. The writers didn't go all out of their way to create that backstory between them to not set them up for a future relationship/marriage.
Well lets not pretend this wouldnt be the first time the anime does a 180 on a storyline that goes absolutely nowhere because...it certainly isn't. And its highly likely that this is exactly the case with making up superficial romance as bait for ratings.
Misty has been gone from the show for YEARS (until S/M) and even now she shows 0 interest in Ash, she clearly has outgrown him. That and Serena is the first and only girl to truly confess her feelings to Ash, and even kissed him ON THE LIPS.
Serena never confessed that she loves Ash, Ash doesn't even know she has a crush on him in the first place. The kiss is the only arguable anchor to keep Serena's chances a float and a first kiss, one that was brushed off like nothing for Ash, hardly means anything in the end.

And as a non shipper, I wouldn't say that about Misty. After all, she's the only one of the main girls that Ash has actually blushed infront of when the idea of them liking each other was brought up by TR, and she was pretty much flirting with Ash in their gym battle in SM.

Besides, even if Misty doesnt have feelings for him (which ofc is very possible), why does her backing out mean Serena's the only one in? We have other poke girls, both past and future, that can end up in the same position as well. Lillie was even implied to try confessing to Ash before Gladion interrupted her at the end of SM.
Naruto/Hinata was a one sided crush and yet they married and had children. So if they can live happily ever after I don't see why Ash/Serena cant.
NaruHina wasn't one sided on the absurd levels SatoSere is though. For one, unlike Ash, Naruto has always been into girls and romance, hence his fanboyish crush on Sakura, or whatever woman Jiraiya hanged with around him.

More importantly to the matter, unlike Serena, Hinata made an ACTUAL confession to Naruto. Outright telling him she loved him. And before Boruto came up, The Last was literally a movie that was focusing on NaruHina.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Because she doesn’t. They’re both 10 years old and incapable of having a serious relationship of that age. Brock and Clemont can’t even stay in an actual relationship. The only relationships that’s been made canon and are serious are the adult characters. And there’s nothing wrong with a simple crush.
There is so much discussion in this thread about romance and love. But @satopi highlights the key point here. It doesn't matter what "ship" you're a fan of, it's not going to be a romance or "love" because they're kids.

Serena never confessed that she loves Ash, Ash doesn't even know she has a crush on him in the first place. The kiss is the only arguable anchor to keep Serena's chances a float and a first kiss, one that was brushed off like nothing for Ash, hardly means anything in the end.
NaruHina wasn't one sided on the absurd levels SatoSere is though. For one, unlike Ash, Naruto has always been into girls and romance, hence his fanboyish crush on Sakura, or whatever woman Jiraiya hanged with around him.

More importantly to the matter, unlike Serena, Hinata made an ACTUAL confession to Naruto. Outright telling him she loved him. And before Boruto came up, The Last was literally a movie that was focusing on NaruHina.

Serena doesn't "love" Ash. At least not in the sense that adults would think of it. She's 10 (-ish), and she doesn't know what love is. She has a crush on Ash that she confessed with a kiss before she left for Hoenn, and it was left at that. The only thing different here is that we have Word of God from the post-series interview about the production staff's intentions.

Ash is a 10 year old boy. 10 year old boys, as a general rule, are dense. That doesn't mean Ash doesn't "feel something" towards someone. He may, but he won't understand what he's feeling or why he may "feel weird" or nervous or different around that person.

There are definitely some hints in XY that Ash might feel something towards Serena, but this isn't something the show is going to explore until the end.

Because authors know that some of viewers are also manchildren who never outgrew this anime.
You just broke my irony meter...

KukuiFanatic501

Serena doesn't "love" Ash. At least not in the sense that adults would think of it. She's 10 (-ish), and she doesn't know what love is. She has a crush on Ash that she confessed with a kiss before she left for Hoenn, and it was left at that.
No I know what you mean. My response was tailored to the ones who think she "loves loves" Ash, but I get what you meant with the quotation marks.
The only thing different here is that we have Word of God from the post-series interview about the production staff's intentions.
We don't know what level of seriousness behind their intent with that is though to be fair. The anime has a big track record of not staying consistent on following through with promises. That and the word of god came from someone who's no longer the series director of the anime since SM.
Ash is a 10 year old boy. 10 year old boys, as a general rule, are dense. That doesn't mean Ash doesn't "feel something" towards someone. He may, but he won't understand what he's feeling or why he may "feel weird" or nervous or different around that person.
Yeah, but it's also possible that Ash isn't that much of a moron and does know something about romance but just isn't interested. But this isn't the discussion on to talk about whether he does or doesnt.
There are definitely some hints in XY that Ash might feel something towards Serena, but this isn't something the show is going to explore until the end.
See above. It's debatable, but again, a different discussion from this thread.
You just broke my irony meter...

AARTX

Dead inside…
Well lets not pretend this wouldnt be the first time the anime does a 180 on a storyline that goes absolutely nowhere because...it certainly isn't. And its highly likely that this is exactly the case with making up superficial romance as bait for ratings.

And as a non shipper, I wouldn't say that about Misty. After all, she's the only one of the main girls that Ash has actually blushed infront of when the idea of them liking each other was brought up by TR, and she was pretty much flirting with Ash in their gym battle in SM.

Besides, even if Misty doesnt have feelings for him (which ofc is very possible), why does her backing out mean Serena's the only one in? We have other poke girls, both past and future, that can end up in the same position as well. Lillie was even implied to try confessing to Ash before Gladion interrupted her at the end of SM.

A fair comparison would prolly be inazuma eleven instead of naruto. Both have the same target audience and an oblivious MC (he gets married after a timeskip iirc)

Unless they let Ash age, Serena, or any attempts by the writers for a romance would be for naught.

Last edited:

bmw9413

I'm still shookeeth that Serena returned at all, it was very unexpected and I was afraid the writers would completely ignore (I'm glad they didn't).
Obviously the writers has some plan for Amourshipping. They kept her return a secret for months, she was STILL voted most popular Pokegirl in Japan, tried their best to hide and deny it until it was leaked on Twitter when Animedia indirectly confirmed the poster as copyright...The writers KNOW it's the most popular shipping to this day and they are teasing and toying with the fans, hence why Serena and Ash met at the very end of the episode...whether it will happen at the end of Journeys or whenever Ash leaves the show and the series does a time-skip...I don't know.

But i will screenshot this so when they DO wind up together, you can't say we didn't tell you so. Lol.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
No I know what you mean. My response was tailored to the ones who think she "loves loves" Ash, but I get what you meant with the quotation marks.
OK. I apologize then. I think some of your intent was lost when I read your replies.

Yeah, but it's also possible that Ash isn't that much of a moron and does know something about romance but just isn't interested. But this isn't the discussion on to talk about whether he does or doesnt.
I'm not intending to go down the rabbit hole of what he feels or how they show it in the anime. Just pointing out that 10 year old boys are usually "dense."

See above. It's debatable, but again, a different discussion from this thread.
Agreed. I definitely don't want to go there in this thread.

Sham

The Guardian of War
That’s the baffling part. As soon as the new head director came in we have implications that Lillie was about confess something to Ash and Misty flirted with Ash several different times during her return. The XY head director words isn’t law and he isn’t even there anymore as that role.

That’s the baffling part. As soon as the new head director came in we have implications that Lillie was about confess something to Ash and Misty flirted with Ash several different times during her return. The XY head director words isn’t law and he isn’t even there anymore as that role.
Lillie doesn’t have a crush on Ash

KukuiFanatic501

A fair comparison would prolly be inazuma eleven instead of naruto. Both have the same target audience and an oblivious MC (he gets married after a timeskip iirc)

Unless they let Ash age, Serena, or any attempts by the writers for a romance would be for naught.
Yeah this is a much better example. But interestingly enough, Inazuma Eleven I feel is an even worse case of romance than Pokémon since the girl Mark ended up marrying never once expressed any romantic feelings or crushes on him before the time skip. In that series, girls were either tomboy soccer players or just a benched cheering section.

Pokemonfan5

Yeah this is a much better example. But interestingly enough, Inazuma Eleven I feel is an even worse case of romance than Pokémon since the girl Mark ended up marrying never once expressed any romantic feelings or crushes on him before the time skip. In that series, girls were either tomboy soccer players or just a benched cheering section.
Didn't Nelly shown nervous or blushing around Mark and even jealous when other girl kiss him

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I am surprised Koharu never developed a crush on Ash.
It’s because not every girl who’s friends with a guy develops a crush on said guy.

Men and women can be friends, even in anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.