• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Ash Get a New Rival in D/P?

Should Ash Have a New Rival in D/P

• Yes

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabattousai

Hikozaru Trainer
Assuming Ash is in D/P, please don't respond with, "We don't know if Ash will be in D/P yet" answers. Thanks

I miss the tradition of seeing Ash compete with Gary in the Pokemon League and I don't really count those that he met in the Hoenn League. When I say Ash should have a new rival, I mean a rival that shows up in some episodes and maybe this time around fights Ash and we can watch his Pokemon grow in evolution and experience. That way we know Ash has another reason to win in the Hoenn League instead of just getting the badges and going in to compete.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The problem here is that Ash is such an experienced trainer now that some newbie rival wouldn't be able to keep up with him.

If Ash is taking down legendaries for goodness sakes, why does he need a rival to push him along? The whole point of rivals are to constantly make the main character improve to get as good as them.

dannyphantomhott

Ash fan girl! Cute!
Sounds like Ash will def be going to Shinou now, so I think maybe add an experinced trainer for Ash. Not a newbie one like CyberCubed said, it would be a waste of time.

dabattousai

Hikozaru Trainer
The problem here is that Ash is such an experienced trainer now that some newbie rival wouldn't be able to keep up with him.

True, but the rival doesn't have to be a newb, it could be someone like Richie making a comeback and just like Ash, started anew and we could see both experienced trainers go at it during their journey.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
If Ash is taking down legendaries for goodness sakes, why does he need a rival to push him along? The whole point of rivals are to constantly make the main character improve to get as good as them.

That's only half of the equation though, the other half is the pokemon themselves, Ash is taking down legendaries but it is his most powerful guys doing it. Besides i remember back at the beginning of jouto where Casey' Chickorita almost beat down Pikachu, so if he were using his more powerful guys than yes i could see him not losing, but otherwise there is still that chance.

Last edited:

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
I don't know if he should have a rival persay, but I would really like to see him encounter interesting reacurring characters that he would occasionally battle.

I hope Ash has some kind of rival person in Shinou. We always see him battle filler person, gym leader, or TR. Never a recurring character since Johto.

Judai-and-sho

The Best of the Best
I would like for Ash to get a new rival yes, but also for an old rival to be seen more. I would actually like Richie to travel with Ash. Ash has yet to beat Richie and they both appear to be on the same level. I think them traveling together would make them both stronger trainers. Maybe Richie could be the gang's new cook. At least we would get to further explore someone who definetly needs further exploration.

Pikafan

Ashfan for life
Ash's is going to get a rival anyway because in all the season of Pokemon Ash always had rivals in each region. It's clear to me that he will have rivals in Shinou.

Fizban

Propaniacs
Ash didn't really need a rival in the past season because there isn't much a badge rival can do before a tournament. Contests created a situation where your rivals were constantly fighting you, and could actually prevent you from getting further as a coordinator. The closest Ash ever came to this was when Gary went to challenge the Viridian Gym Leader before him, forching Ash to wait his turn (gasp!).

It wouldn't be bad if there was somebody who could get Ash fired up, but the role of a rival really does seem more suited for coordinators now.

Alfonso

Derpgull
Fair enough, this thread is slightly different from the others, but I feel D/P discussion for now should be limited to the main thread for Discussion/Speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.