• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Bioware Team Up With Nintendo For A Super Mario RPG Sequel For The Wii?

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Well, I like many fans of Super Mario RPG have been wanting a sequel to the 1996 game for years. (Going on 13 years) But seeing as how a Nintendo/SquareEnix reunion is next to impossible now, what do you think about BioWare and NIntendo working together for Super Mario RPG 2?

I've heard and read how BioWare is a great company when it comes to role-playing games, plus made Sonic Chronicles a good game to play, so it might be a good thing for them to pair up for a long awaited sequel to SMRPG. (NOT PAPER MARIO)

Of course, there would be no Mallow or everyone's favorite Geno, seeing as how they are characters of Square, but there would be new characters for BioWare to create that would turn out to be really great, and within a few years time, memorable favorites. Plus, it would be on the Wii (or possibly next gen) with A+ graphics, sound, music, and maybe even CGI animation for cut-scenes. There could be endless possibilities and worth a shot.

I would be all for it if it was to ever happen. What do the rest of you think?

Silverwing

Sea Ruby Trainer
Actually, I think a SquareEnix/Nintendo partnership is not as long a shot as you think it is. SE has been very, very kind to Nintendo in recent years, especially to Nintendo's handhelds. If Nintendo wanted another Super Mario RPG, then I'm sure they could talk with Square about it. The only problem is something that you already stated, which is Paper Mario. Nintendo's Mario RPG on consoles is the Paper Mario series, and it's RPG's for the DS are the Mario and Luigi series. There is just no need for another Mario RPG series out there.

Slick

Banned
That would actually be swell, but doesn't Square own Geno?

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Well, I like many fans of Super Mario RPG have been wanting a sequel to the 1996 game for years. (Going on 13 years) But seeing as how a Nintendo/SquareEnix reunion is next to impossible now, what do you think about BioWare and NIntendo working together for Super Mario RPG 2?

What're you, high? Nintendo's current relationship with SquareEnix is the best it's been in years, so why would Nintendo get Bioware to make SMRPG2? Not to mention that Bioware is a North American company, and Nintendo is Japanese. The only reasons that SEGA partnered up with Bioware rather than a Japanese company is because

1. Sonic is and always was bigger in NA, so getting in a company in touch with it's primary market is a bit of a better idea
2. The farther away a Sonic game is made from Sonic Team, the better

Besides, Paper Mario is basically SMRPG2, seeing as that was its name in development.

gremhiilzoone

Beginning Trainer
yeahh! It would be cool to see a sequel, but I think than Square Enix would develop it and not Bio Ware. But I think that the sequel already exists and it's the Paper Mario series made by Inteligent Systens.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
I swear, I feel like I'm the only person who is perfectly fine with keeping Super Mario RPG the freakin' awesome game that it was and not fudging its legacy with a sugarcoated direct sequel. Whether the Paper Mario games or the Mario & Luigi games are better or worse is debatable, and they've become an independent series with a steady stream of titles, but I see no problem with SMRPG being a stand-alone title that kicked off said genre in the Mario universe.

I generally don't give a rat's about continuity, but even if the rights to Geno were obtained elsewhere, bringing Geno back in a timeline after returning to true form would strike me as being just as contrived as bringing Shadow back after Sonic Adventure 2 (though granted, unlike Shadow, Geno was actually a cool character). Barring that whole clusterf*ck known as the Smash Bros. debate, the best we're likely gonna get is that cameo in Superstar Saga.

Though I never fail to get a kick out of people who still believe Nintendo and Square aren't on level terms. Just like how I'm baffled when people act surprised that Rare makes games for Microsoft. Anyways, Nintendo & Square actually did develop a fairly recent Mario collab. It was called Mario Hoops for DS, and according to most sources, was terribly mediocre.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Anyways, Nintendo & Square actually did develop a fairly recent Mario collab. It was called Mario Hoops for DS, and according to most sources, was terribly mediocre.

That's cause it was a Square-Enix Game that wasn't an RPG.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
If Bioware can make a good Mario PRG, then I can't comlain. Though, Sonic Chronicles and the upcoming Sonic Chronicles 2 is enough.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
I think a SMRPG is unnecesary, not just because Bioware shouldn't develop it, but because we already have Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, which are like SMRPG, but in different art styles and [somewhat] different game mechanics.

Ilex

Oddish plzkthnxbai
http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_RPG_2

Paper Mario=Super Mario RPG 2. If it's Paper Mario, then it's Super Mario RPG 2. If it's Super Mario RPG 2, then it's Paper Mario. If it's not Super Mario RPG2, then it's not Paper Mario. If it's not Paper Mario, then it's not Super Mario RPG 2. They're the same thing.

G4PokeFan said:
I've heard and read how BioWare is a great company when it comes to role-playing games, plus made Sonic Chronicles a good game to play, so it might be a good thing for them to pair up for a long awaited sequel to SMRPG.
G4PokeFan said:
made Sonic Chronicles a good game to play
G4PokeFan said:
Sonic a good game
Haha, good one.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
Well, it should be real time, so thats where the engine would come into play. And the graphics would just make it look cool

Then why not just have a real time RPG with its own engine? Same with graphic, because Nintendo and whoever they team up with would know better than to recycle things from older games.