• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should college athletes be paid?

ThePokemonmaster11

There's an ongoing debate in the sports world about whether or not college athletes are receiving a fair share for their services as athletes. Where do you fall on the issue?

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I guess it depends on the school for how much money is being spent to bring them to their institution. Having a full ride to a division I school along with paying for meals (not counting into consideration whether or not they're from out of state which makes it even more expensive) sounds like a good deal to me. So, no, I don't think college athletes should be paid, personally.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
The reason so many underclassmen are jumping to the draft now is because they don't get paid. They don't get any extra money outside of the scholarship, and they're extremely limited on outside jobs due to time and/or things like not being allowed to take jobs that tip. Plus one injury and they could be done, or fall so low in draft ranking they don't make the draft. Even a year or two on a team will provide enough money to go back to school. Just listen to all the players who've talked about starving just because of how restricted they were.

Also there is the whole licensing issue. How many other places are allowed to use someone's likeness without their permission, where they see none of the money from it, and aren't allowed to opt out. Regardless of the school and education issue they deserve money from that.

Psychic

Really and truly
Also there is the whole licensing issue. How many other places are allowed to use someone's likeness without their permission, where they see none of the money from it, and aren't allowed to opt out. Regardless of the school and education issue they deserve money from that.
This is the part I personally feel strongly about. Others shouldn't be able to make money off of someone's likeness without that person either having a say in or or receiving some form of compensation. That is super skeevy, in my opinion. Considering how much institutions profit from their athletes, this is one thing that can certainly be changed so that either athletes have an option to opt out, or they can receive some share of the profits, perhaps at the end of their contract or something.

Just listen to all the players who've talked about starving just because of how restricted they were.
I was unaware of this, it's news to me. Can you elaborate?

The entire concept of college athletes and the celebrity that they receive is very foreign to me. I find the whole thing a bit gross, to be honest, but I don't know if I know enough on the subject to make an informed contribution to the discussion.

~Psychic

bobjr

Staff member

ThePokemonmaster11

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/07/us/ncaa-basketball-finals-shabazz-napier-hungry/

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-napier-was-right-players-go-hungry-at-night/

This is the basis, and when the coaches are against it it's kinda hypocritical because they're often among the highest paid public employee in the state. Dabo Sweeny, who believes college athletes are too entitled, is making 5 million dollars as a coach this year, along with booster bonuses.

Don't forget NCAA ticket sales, bob, there's a lot more money than that involved.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I despise sports on the whole and think the proper solution is a mass reduction in the attention given and paid to athletics of all kinds, but as long as they're going to continue existing... they are a source of revenue for the school, yes? Then they damn well should be paid. They are, at that point, (almost?) employees.

Oh yeah, there's also this.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/07/us/ncaa-basketball-finals-shabazz-napier-hungry/

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-napier-was-right-players-go-hungry-at-night/

This is the basis, and when the coaches are against it it's kinda hypocritical because they're often among the highest paid public employee in the state. Dabo Sweeny, who believes college athletes are too entitled, is making 5 million dollars as a coach this year, along with booster bonuses.

Oh lord, I completely forgot these kinds of numbers. This guy's a gigantic shmuck, too, but sadly not at all surprising in terms of how this kinda stuff works.

bobjr

Staff member
It's not even paying them NFL level salary either. Just enough where they get a fair share.

ThePokemonmaster11

It's not even paying them NFL level salary either. Just enough where they get a fair share.

Honestly, I'd have no problem with that. I think that some of the rules on college athletes are absurd, now my fear would be that it snowballs into an NFL style thing; but as long as you stop that from ever starting I could see a deal like that working out.

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
I still don't understand why these athletes should be paid. They stay with a college for four to six years and have a chance to play professionally and get more money in a year than most get in their entire lives. If they have to play ball unpaid for four years, so be it.

bobjr

Staff member
I still don't understand why these athletes should be paid.

Anyone else who does a job with health risks this severe gets paid and usually has a union.

They stay with a college for four to six years and have a chance to play professionally and get more money in a year than most get in their entire lives. If they have to play ball unpaid for four years, so be it.

By chance you mean about 1%, where the average NFL career is a little over 2 years, where a lot of players end up in poverty.

Plus if you want to make the point that they get free college, I would counter with all people should have affordable education and college.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Every athlete in college should be getting the same amount in college unless there's a selective bunch that have a high potential to be a future star in the pros,so what I'm saying is they should work to get the kind of money they want.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
College sports in the states receive WAAAAY too much media coverage and what not. From another country's POV, it's pretty ridiculous how much people care about college sports in the US.

If they want to pay athletes, take away scholarships imo. People in sports get paid waaay too much for their careers. I think if anyone could commit that much time to a sport and be that good and be paid that much, they would. The "risk" and "not seeing your family enough" are far outweighed by how much they get paid. I am not aware of any other justification for why they get paid too much.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'm not a the person that's into this stuff, but don't athletes get like tons of cash in scholarships? I don't think we need to pay them if we do that.

bobjr

Staff member
Limited scholarships, where they're not allowed to make extra money of any kind like most college students. The issue came about when these athletes were starving from lack of food options.

Though school should be affordable for everyone, and that's an entirely different issue.