• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Creationism be taught along with Evolution?

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
Okay, I am a student (I hope that's fairly obvious). And I was reading about teaching creationism in schools with evolution. This annoyed me for a few reasons. First of all, it doesn't represent other religions at all (wouldn't a devout Buddhist like to know that teachers are trying to convert his/hers children!). Secondly, if I wanted the Bible, I would have gone to a Catholic school. Instead, I hope to be educated in real science, since that's what I hope my parents' taxes pay for. And thirdly, I think Christianity has too much influence already and needs to leave certain things alone.

I understand that evolution would be represented as an "alternative", but that still seems like time would be wasted teaching two things that cancel each other out.

What's your opinion?

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
I'm pretty sure there's a thread already like this if I'm not mistaken.
Either way to teach creationism alongside evolution in public schools is absurd, because then you'd have to teach all the different versions of creationism for the various religions. Since evolution is more scientifically plausible and fits with the curriculum of classes, it's what is taught.

the jman

Ak47 I choose you!
Your retarded.

Creationism isnt allowed to be taught in school dipshit, not since the big Evo vs. creation case in PA (better known as the "Panda case") in which the US ruled out that Evolution is to be taught and creationism banned. Obviously You do not go to school, or your in a low grade K-5 or you read a bunch of BS

Erienne

Anime high :D
Okay, I am a student (I hope that's fairly obvious). And I was reading about teaching creationism in schools with evolution. This annoyed me for a few reasons. First of all, it doesn't represent other religions at all (wouldn't a devout Buddhist like to know that teachers are trying to convert his/hers children!). Secondly, if I wanted the Bible, I would have gone to a Catholic school. Instead, I hope to be educated in real science, since that's what I hope my parents' taxes pay for. And thirdly, I think Christianity has too much influence already and needs to leave certain things alone.

I understand that evolution would be represented as an "alternative", but that still seems like time would be wasted teaching two things that cancel each other out.

What's your opinion?

Exactly. The Bible isn't science, and religion isn't a substitute for science. Creationism is fake anyway, we have more than enough evidence for evolution, and more than enough to disprove creationism.

Dan The Poke Man

MEGAMEGAMEGA
Well It all depends on who you are. You can believe in whatever you want. You can be whoever you want if you ask me though even though I don't know excactly what we're talking about I think that we evolved though.

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
Your retarded.

Creationism isnt allowed to be taught in school dipshit, not since the big Evo vs. creation case in PA (better known as the "Panda case") in which the US ruled out that Evolution is to be taught and creationism banned. Obviously You do not go to school, or your in a low grade K-5 or you read a bunch of BS

Are you calling me or the OP retarded? Because I was saying you can't teach it in schools..

No. To make it short:

- Evolution is a scientific theory with a scientific and logical basis.
- Evolution does not explain WHY we came to be, but how
- Evolution does not cancel out Creationism
- Many of your standard high school biology classes don't even focus on human evolution
- Religion shouldn't even be a discussion in a chemistry or biology class
- If you want to learn about religion in school, go to a private religious school or take a religion class

muumajii23

Your retarded.

This is why I'm ashamed to even go on this forum sometimes... Did you even read the post?

Anyways, with the variety of religions in North American society, teaching about one religion would force all to be taught, lest discrimination arguments in sue. (If you want a good laugh, look up the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Pastafanarism, you will die of laughter) Also, just because many religious ideals have no basis in science, so teaching it in a Science classroom would be completely contradictory...

Slightly Insane

like a BOSS
Exactly. The Bible isn't science, and religion isn't a substitute for science. Creationism is fake anyway, we have more than enough evidence for evolution, and more than enough to disprove creationism.

"Evolution is true because it hasn't been proven false, therefore the Bible is false because evolution is true."

"The Bible is true because it hasn't been proven false, therefore evolution is false because the Bible is true."

This logic fails. I could say that a polka-dotted pink elephant from the future has told me that evolution is false, because he has seen the past and has seen that evolution never took place, or vice versa with Creationism, and you couldn't prove it false. Does that make it true? Absolutely not. "If not false then true" logic fails.

ChedWick

Your retarded.

jman you once again demonstrate hypocrisy and vast amount of ignorance as well as a lack of comprehension of reality. You should really just unplug your internet and never come to it.

There was a thread like this previously. I'm not sure if it was the evolution vs creationism thread that ethan closed for the lame general religion thread or if it was one exactly the same as this. Regardless its out there somewhere on serebii.

Either way... No, religion has no place in the public school system seeing as it is not science; a fundamental aspect of our education. However if schools want to introduce some elective courses in religion I'd be 100% fine with that just so long as creationism is no where near the science classroom.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
No, it breaks the rules of the Lemon test, especially the one that says an action can't be advancing or prohibiting a religion.

Otherwise, it is rather pointless to teach Creationism in school because to be blunt, it isn't a science. It's a religious belief.

the jman

Ak47 I choose you!
I was reading about teaching creationism in schools with evolution. I hope to be educated in real science, since that's what I hope my parents' taxes pay for.

jman you once again demonstrate hypocrisy and vast amount of ignorance as well as a lack of comprehension of reality. You should really just unplug your internet and never come to it.

edited out for rudeness. this is the point im trying too show

Last edited:

the jman

Ak47 I choose you!
God would not approve.

too you, Jesus is a pothead with a 666 tat across his back, with a Gold cross around his neck, ciggaratte in his mouth, and a NY hat.

Last edited:

Erienne

Anime high :D
STFU too you, Jesus is a pothead with a 666 tat across his back, with a Gold cross around his neck, ciggaratte in his mouth, and a NY hat.

... That's all I can say.

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
Something about the stench of a hungry troll just screams at me "FEED IT!"
Buttttt... That's a bad idea

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
"Evolution is true because it hasn't been proven false, therefore the Bible is false because evolution is true."

"The Bible is true because it hasn't been proven false, therefore evolution is false because the Bible is true."

This logic fails. I could say that a polka-dotted pink elephant from the future has told me that evolution is false, because he has seen the past and has seen that evolution never took place, or vice versa with Creationism, and you couldn't prove it false. Does that make it true? Absolutely not. "If not false then true" logic fails.

We have plenty of physical evidence for evolution. Fossil records, genetic similarities between species... and then there's just the pure logic of natural selection. Having gone to a Baptist school, I know all the ways Creationists try to bend it around and make it look false, and I can tell you, that is what fails.

I believe in God, but we should never blind ourselves to the world around us just because it challenges our beliefs. I did have a problem with evolution for a long time, though. The reason was fear. I'd gotten the impression that it somehow disproved God, or gave me less reason to believe in it, and with fears of my own mortality... that wasn't something I could deal with.

I always had the impression that evolution was true, though. Because of that, I avoided knowing anything about it. I didn't want to believe in it. And I see that same fear in the people who try to reason out Creationism. They don't know anything about what they're arguing against, and their own arguments are weak and fallacious. I think they're just trying to cling to their own beliefs, though.

I think belief in Creationism is harmful. People give the impression that it's necessary for God's existence, and that's simply not true. It makes people afraid to learn and ignorant, and in the end, it threatens their belief in God. Also, it makes people who belief in God look ignorant to the rest of the world, which doesn't help their belief any.

Plus, blind faith can be dangerous. How do you know the people you're listening to are right? Because they told you so? I'm not saying that Creationists are evil, but consider what would happen if you were raised to believe something else. That's how suicide bombers and the like get to where they are. Creationism is not violent like that, but my point is that you have to gather information and make decisions yourself. You have to decide for yourself what is right. It doesn't mean anything to you until you figure it out for yourself, anyway. There's a reason for... reason.

All that along with the all the previous arguments that Creationism isn't science. I mean, our science books at my old school said things evolutionists don't want to believe in God so they won't have to face moral responsibility. Come on! That's not even a fallacious scientific argument, it's pure opinion! And not an informed one at all. I guess if they were teaching both, it wouldn't be like that, but... teaching Creationism in school would discriminate against other religions. You'd have to teach all creation myths, which would be impossible due to the shear number of them. And it's still not science.

Last edited:

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
Creationism is neither fact nor theory, and it is not something children are required to know as it is inapplicable in the real world. Evolutionism is a theory at the very least, and has scientific background.