• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Creationism be taught along with Evolution?

Everyone should just come to their own conclusions about the meaning of existence. Even though we're probably all wrong anyway. :p

Creationism (and religion in general) is fine providing it is kept out of the science classroom. I shouldn't even have to explain how it isn't science.

However, a another class that teaches about religion is fine providing it at least covers the majority of mainstream religions and not just Christianity. This gives students a much better grasp of how other people in the world think and what their beliefs are etc ect.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Evolution is just that, a theory. You claim that a Scientific Theory can't be false, but Darwin himself proposed the Theory of Pangenesis (which states that inherited traits are passed down through particles that move throughout the body) yet that theory was proven false when it was discovered that genetic information was coded in DNA. A theory is not the same thing as a fact. It is a theory because it has not yet been proven.
You still must understand the idea of what theory means in a scientific concept. Yes, theory isn't "100% true" but at the same time the facts supporting the theory IS. It IS a fact that all animal share a common ancestor, but as I've said earlier, the theory comes in the order of how it happened. It is pretty much established that we are all related from almost every scientific field. Even if Evolution wasn't true, this would still be true.

Hey, can can you tell me more scientific theories? I suggest you try and look up what you might have thought was a fact!

And another thing, Scientists can't explain the mechanism for evolution. In other words, they can't explain how it happened. How did the first cell arise? How did eyes develop? Scientists can't give a straight answer to these questions.
The first cell isn't even related to Evolution; it says nothing about how life BEGAN but rather progressed.

As for the eye there actually is an answer for that. This gives a viable explanation as to how it can happen. It's just worth a read.

NINJA PENGUIN

Hmm, Well should Evolution be taught at all? I mean its just a theory isn't it? It can't be proven until we can see the effects multipule times to make the theory a Reliable fact - This will take millions upon millions of years, so we can't prove it.

Im might be wrong but there isn't really historical accounts for evolution as such, but apperently there is one for creationism... apperently its called Genesis

So i think NEITHER should be taught in schools until either of the THEORY's become FACT

james2791

Dragon Sneeze
Well IMO, we induviduals must make a choice in what account you choose to believe in. In my own experience, my Religion class last year was based around the whole spectrum of Creationism (Genesis Chap 1) and Evolution - Darwins Theory. To answer the question of this thread, I think they should both be taught, (maybe not in the same class) but really it's totally up to the person themselves to make any sort of conclusion about where their beliefs lie.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...

Clever-Mird

Shiny total 16
Well, I believe if it HAS to be tought, make them an elective in high School. People can take them if they please, and everyone is happy! One problem though, why would a teacher go through a bunch of years to get a teaching degree to say "God created everything..."...

Scrible

Personally, to be fair, I don't think either should be taught. When the kiddies grow up they'll be able to find out for themselves. You can't please both ends, and honestly you shouldn't. Religious parents will teach their kids religious beliefs and their children will agree and disregard the schools teachings. On the other hand a child from a non-religious household will disregard religious teachings because they were taught otherwise.

Evolution and Creationism; people make these two so controversial. And really, for no reason. People just get butthurt so easily because they can't take their coveted opinions being challenged. This goes for both religious and non-religious people.

But I suppose you can't blame them. Humans are built upon their opinions; what is a man who has no voice?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Why can't they teach science, Scrible?

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Evolution is a scientific theory, which means it's not just a guess, but a guess educated by 200 years of research...

For all those arguing about the validity of a theory, what about Algebra and math? You can't prove a theorem, and that's why it's still stuck as a "theory" (albeit with a different connotation). Nonetheless, would you take the Pythagorean Theorem out of math books just because it can't be proven?

Evolution is much the same way. You can demonstrate the idea of both the Theory of Evolution and the Pythagorean Theorem, by comparing fossils, and by drawing triangles but ultimately neither of them are fact.

The want to teach evolution has nothing to do with trying to stick it to Christianity or some belief system - it is propagated by a want to give humanity the ideas most advantageous to survival. Math helps people survive, and the idea of evolution does as well, I mean look at the engineering of fruits and vegetables and even certain animals. It's not taught because we believe it's true, it's taught because it's useful.

Living in general is motivated by many assumptions and deductive reasoning, and that's what our technology runs on sometimes...just because we can't prove an idea, does not mean it doesn't benefit us.

Tyrant Tar

One problem though, why would a teacher go through a bunch of years to get a teaching degree to say "God created everything..."...

You could probably simplify the Big Bang, evolution, and even life itself as "chemicals created everything..."

But we'd miss the point of science, just as saying "God did it" misses the point of religious teachings, which, unfortunately, seems to be the case with those people trying to have science classes teach creationism.

Scrible

Why can't they teach science, Scrible?

No no, you misunderstood me. Or maybe I phrased it improperly...

Evolution does not make science. It's a part of science, but it doesn't define science. Meaning, you can teach science without deeply touching into evolution. And that's what I meant, deeply touching evolution. Like holding class after class dedicated only to evolution. A quick lesson on evolution that ties into the lesson is okay. But it becomes a problem when the teacher feels the need to force the students to accept evolution and preaching it like religion. Hell, I'm a religious Muslim and I don't mind a deep lesson on evolution. I also don't mind a deep lesson on creationism. But parents mind. The school I attended, which was a private Islamic academy, taught us evolution in science and we had religion as another course (it was mandatory, of course). But the school never harassed us over evolution and it never bothered with creationism either (because, hello, growing up a Muslim means you already know about it).

As I said, what is a man who has no voice? It's very apparent here.

EDIT:

I'd like to add that I'm not trying to encourage the idea of closing the doors of science for religion. My statement was based and aimed towards shutting parents of both ends up, because that's really where the problem lies. Most kids today really don't care what they learn, but their parents would die to have a say.

Last edited:
For all those arguing about the validity of a theory, what about Algebra and math? You can't prove a theorem, and that's why it's still stuck as a "theory" (albeit with a different connotation).

I agree with the rest of this post, but I have to bug you about the comparison here: theorems, by definition, are proven. They use axioms and sometimes other theorems, but they in themselves are proven.

I had to write out proofs of a ton of theorems in Calc last year, and it wasn't all for naught! =(

No no, you misunderstood me. Or maybe I phrased it improperly...

Evolution does not make science. It's a part of science, but it doesn't define science. Meaning, you can teach science without deeply touching into evolution. And that's what I meant, deeply touching evolution.

But, like a woman, evolution likes it when you go deep!
I agree that it should be taught as an elective. Maybe by a volunteer?

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I agree with the rest of this post, but I have to bug you about the comparison here: theorems, by definition, are proven. They use axioms and sometimes other theorems, but they in themselves are proven.

I had to write out proofs of a ton of theorems in Calc last year, and it wasn't all for naught! =(

*slaps self* Would postulates be a more correct comparison?

Scrible

But, like a woman, evolution likes it when you go deep!
I agree that it should be taught as an elective. Maybe by a volunteer?

Hahaha, that's cute :p

But I also agree on the elective thing. That way interested students can learn and parents will have nothing to go on. They can't complain since the students aren't forced.

I don't think a volunteer though, maybe a teacher that comes in twice a week for 45 minutes would be better.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
Hmm, Well should Evolution be taught at all? I mean its just a theory isn't it?

Hey, guess what else is a theory? Gravity. Are you gonna start saying we shouldn't teach that either, since it's "just a theory"?

Here's the thing. "Theory" does not mean "random guess that sounds good". It's an idea that's been well established enough that it should probably be taken as fact.

It can't be proven until we can see the effects multipule times to make the theory a Reliable fact - This will take millions upon millions of years, so we can't prove it.

We have seen evolution happen. Not to the extent where, say, a dog species branching off into some entirely new "kind" of animal, but we have witnessed flies, bacteria, and even species of lizards undergo evolution.

Creation, however, has nothing going for it save for the Bible, the few shortcomings in evolution, and invocations of the God of the Gaps fallacy.

Im might be wrong but there isn't really historical accounts for evolution as such, but apperently there is one for creationism... apperently its called Genesis

*facepalm*

So i think NEITHER should be taught in schools until either of the THEORY's become FACT

Here's the thing. Nothing can ever be 100% proven. No one can 100% prove, for example, that there's not an invisible, intangible unicorn behind me. We can get close, though. At some point we have to realize "well, there's a crapload of evidence for this, so we should probably treat it as fact unless some other discovery comes along and shoots it down".

Personally, to be fair, I don't think either should be taught. When the kiddies grow up they'll be able to find out for themselves.

Evolution isn't a theory you just summarize in ten seconds and let the kid work out for themself. Evolution is scientifically backed, is an important part of modern science, and thus should be taught in a science class. Creation has no scientific backing, and should be taught in an elective religion class.

You can't please both ends, and honestly you shouldn't.

So schools should pretend neither side exists?

Evolution does not make science. It's a part of science,

Teaching science is the entire point of a science classroom. Lessons should not be entirely removed from classrooms just because people could get offended or "kids should be able to make up their mind". If a few kids' parents are Holocaust deniers, should we remove the Holocaust from social studies lessons?

A quick lesson on evolution that ties into the lesson is okay.

A "quick lesson" does not really do evolution justice. Like I said, it's not something you can summarize in ten seconds without removing some important parts.

But it becomes a problem when the teacher feels the need to force the students to accept evolution and preaching it like religion.

You mean teaching it as it is, a scientific theory with plenty of backing?

But parents mind.

Parents should not have the right to keep their kids ignorant of opposing ideas. If neither evolution nor creation was taught in school and we left that up to the parents, they would teach their kids only what they want them to believe. Hyper-religious kinds will teach them creation, while more scientific parents will teach them evolution. In the end, you're not fixing anything in terms of letting them decide for themselves.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Evolution does not make science. It's a part of science, but it doesn't define science. Meaning, you can teach science without deeply touching into evolution.
Not you can't. Evolution is the foundation of biology and it is found in ALL areas of science just about. Leaving out Evolution would be like leaving out Gravity (since that is also practically found in all areas of science as well WHILE being a theory)

And that's what I meant, deeply touching evolution. Like holding class after class dedicated only to evolution. A quick lesson on evolution that ties into the lesson is okay. But it becomes a problem when the teacher feels the need to force the students to accept evolution and preaching it like religion.
No teacher 'preaches it' like religion. Most of the time it is a full chapter and many teachers also give out a disclaimer that you have to at least know about it to pass the chapter.

But parents mind.
That's their problem. Some parents mind that we teach the world is round. Are we going to stop doing that too?

what is a man who has no voice? It's very apparent here.
What on earth are you talking about?

poketoon

Space Core
God created creatures. He also allowed them to evolve. So evolution, in certain situations, goes under creationism.