• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Creationism be taught along with Evolution?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I like how he said 'in certain situations' as if it only happens to certain animals lol

Leaf Storm

Goldenrod City
Maybe we should teach the theory of gravity either. I mean, it isn't proven or anything.
-sarcasm-

AKRy100

Shockingly electric!
Well from an atheist's point of view, no, it shouldn't.

But I suppose if we would all be happier deluding ourselves then yes, it should.

Clever-Mird

Shiny total 16
Yay, someone listened to me!

But, like a woman, evolution likes it when you go deep!
I agree that it should be taught as an elective. Maybe by a volunteer?

Exactly! An elective would be great! If someone who wants to learn about creationism wants too, they can, if they want to learn about evolution, (My personal favorite) they can!

Also, I know that religion goes beyond "God created everything", but why did we create religion? To explain the unexplained. (I.E. there is no SCIENTIFIC proof (or any proof). At least evolution has some backbone (Don't say I am bias, I already know that).)

Yes, I do like parenthesis. :)D)

Clever-Mird

Shiny total 16
It is a theory because it has not yet been proven.

Yet the informational backbone supporting this greatly exceeds that of creationism.

And another thing, Scientists can't explain the mechanism for evolution. In other words, they can't explain how it happened. How did eyes develop?

They were just light sensors at first, then over a period of billions of years they became eyes. Microorganisms still have those same organelles today, and it would be easy to understand how those could develop further into eyes. Also, animals adapt, that is WHY evolution happens.

Take into account the sheer complexity of DNA (which every plant and animal has) and it is laughable to think that they could have arranged themselves by pure chance.

Why do you think it took sooo long for humans to evolve?

Now, for me to tell all that of where I stand on this argument.
1) I don't believe in creationism and I never will. Nor do I believe in a god.
2) My own (and probably incorrect theory) is that evolution sped up due to extraterrestrial intervention (thus being the representation of a god).
3) I believe in evolution and am going to grow up to be a scientist.
4) Finally, no one can change my opinion.

I believe that if people want to learn about creationism, they very well can, but don't expect me to take an elective about something that I think is pointless. No offense to any who believe in god. Evolution may only be a Theory, but it is a theory with quite a lot of information to support it. It may be a very low chance for the proteins to line up correctly, but Earth was in perfect condition to make it happen. Perfect atmosphere, temperature, and it had water. Life was created in a chemical reaction somehow.

It may have not been proven yet, but eventually this case will be finished. It probably won't be in any of our lifetimes so why don't we drop this topic. It was a lot of fun and all but we all have our own opinions and arguing about it for hours is just bringing each of us closer to the end when we could be talking about things we agree upon. In other words, lets drop this topic.

Obviously they should be taught differently.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
... I really have to reply to this. I mean, I'm on your side and all, but come on.

2) My own (and probably incorrect theory)

If you yourself believe it's "probably incorrect", why the hell do you believe it?

is that evolution sped up due to extraterrestrial intervention (thus being the representation of a god).

And what leads you to believe that?

4) Finally, no one can change my opinion.

If there's no way to change your opinion, it's pointless for anyone to debate you, and therefore pointless for you to be posting here.

Clever-Mird

Shiny total 16
... I really have to reply to this. I mean, I'm on your side and all, but come on.
If you yourself believe it's "probably incorrect", why the hell do you believe it.
I just am trying to give a more probable look at what "God" could be.

Also, I tried to state this to stop this pointless argument.

And finaly, I am not going to start to believe in a religion all because of someone posting on a forum.
I mean come on, are you going to change your opinion?
Are you going to become a more religious person because of someones post on this argument?
I THINK NOT!!!
Unless you are that kind of person. Then, I am sorry for insulting you.

BTW, I just think that it could potentially be possible that Extraterrestrial intervention could have sped up the evolution of humans. Humans evolved pretty quickly, and I was just posting my opinion. No point in being rude, because I will just lose respect for you. You could have said that without making yourself seem like a complete jerk.

Last edited:

Upa

Pink Floyd Never Die
No, man. Its wrong.

Besides, there are many children of perhaps differing religions and forcing then to believe a religious concept is wrong. Morally and educationally.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
I just am trying to give a more probable look at what "God" could be.

Because "aliens did it" is more probable.

No, seriously, it is, but not by much. I do believe somewhere out there in the universe there are extraterrestrials, but if they do exist we wouldn't be able to contact them, and vice versa. If they were as technologically advanced as we are, they'd still have to travel lightyears to get to us from where I think they might be. And seeing as how you can't really go the speed of light, they'd either run out of food or die of old age, depending on whether or not they have lifespans roughly similar to ours.

But anyway, I'm going to assume you have no evidence for this, which is kind of a smoking gun. In that sense, it's no better than believing creation, even though apparently it's supposed to be more likely.

Also, I tried to state this to stop this pointless argument.

Hold on, you expected to stop the whole debate with just your one post? Or

And finaly, I am not going to start to believe in a religion all because of someone posting on a forum.
I mean come on, are you going to change your opinion?
Are you going to become a more religious person because of someones post on this argument?

If they have good enough arguments and evidence, I will admit to being wrong.

I also like this implication that changing your opinion because someone in person is speaking to you makes so much more sense (for some reason) than changing your opinion because someone over the internet is debating you.

BTW, I just think that it could potentially be possible that Extraterrestrial intervention could have sped up the evolution of humans. Humans evolved pretty quickly, and I was just posting my opinion.

Just one post ago you were saying

Why do you think it took sooo long for humans to evolve?

But yeah, this might be your idea on how it happened, but WHY DO YOU THINK THAT? "Humans evolved quickly" isn't really evidence for extraterrestrial interference. Is there evidence that supports your belief? Some scientist who brought up the idea? Pull it out of thin air?

No point in being rude, because I will just lose respect for you. You could have said that without making yourself seem like a complete jerk.

I don't think I was being a complete jerk. Maybe the first line was somewhat jerkish, but the rest was honest inquiry.

Last edited:

Swampert_guy

Personally, what seems the most plausible to me is that a process of evolution did occur over billions of years, but I also think that, more likely than not, God or some higher power "guided" the process of evolution to a certain conclusion (e.g, us).

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
Here's what I think about Evolution. I agree completely with Mr. Garrison.

In all seriousness, all this religion bashing is turning my mind to mush. Creationism and Evolution are not mutually exclusive. As the Great Stan Marsh once asked, "Couldn't evolution be the answer to 'how' and not 'why'?" Also, evolution explains progression, not origin.

Last edited:

Clever-Mird

Shiny total 16
Because "aliens did it" is more probable.

No, seriously, it is, but not by much. I do believe somewhere out there in the universe there are extraterrestrials, but if they do exist we wouldn't be able to contact them, and vice versa. If they were as technologically advanced as we are, they'd still have to travel lightyears to get to us from where I think they might be. And seeing as how you can't really go the speed of light, they'd either run out of food or die of old age, depending on whether or not they have lifespans roughly similar to ours.

But anyway, I'm going to assume you have no evidence for this, which is kind of a smoking gun. In that sense, it's no better than believing creation, even though apparently it's supposed to be more likely.

I have SOME proof, that might not be entirely true... And I know you said you agree with me but I still am in a bad mood from both this argument going on and my bad day.

The Hopi Indians believed in their "god" being an extraterrestrial.

"Another myth states that the Hopi descended to Earth from Alien life. The Earthlings were set up in underground caves ( 3 caves ) and left to procreate. The Alien project was so successful that the Cave people overpopulated the underground world and were forced to learn to survive in the harsher climates on the surface. This of course would have take milleniums to play out."

http://2012-predictions-review.blogspot.com/2008/01/hopi-indian-mythology.html

And the Anasazi Indians were said to maybe BE aliens, or abducted by them.

"scientists scoff at any explanation involving extraterrestrials, but their theories are no less far-fetched. the anasazi were not the only ancient civilization to disappear without a trace, they are joined in infamy with the mayans, a race of egyptians, the fabled atlantians, and the builders of easter island. could aliens have abducted an entire population? or could the anasazians have been aliens themselves, living on the land for generations before returning to their home world? their advanced society proves that they were vastly different from any other inhabitants of the planet, and their mysterious exodus may be evidence that they didn't abandon their homes, but rather returned to them."

http://www.envasion.net/2003/anasazi.html

Lucos

Willful ignorance it not something we should support, so I think we should at least teach the facts and the fact is... well.. evolution. Evolution is a fact, it happens on daily basis. Though, the evolution theory is just the big picture of how we might have came into existence through evolution. So indeed, the evolution theory is "just a theory", but you have to keep in mind that a scientific theory such as this one is based on gathered facts and evidence, if it's not, it's not called a theory, it would've been a hypothesis. Look it up on the internet, there is a big difference between a (scientific) theory and a hypothesis.

So in general, to keep it simple and short: Theories should be teached in school, hypothesis' shouldn't. The evolution theory is (like the name says) a theory, creationism is just a hypothesis and therefor shouldn't be teached in school, at least not alongside evolution.

LucarioMan101

HGSS ftw!!!!!!
Lucos-you were on the verge but i feel the need to continue where you left off and to expand

Excuse me, but lets take a poll: how many of you idiots know what the definition of a scientific theory is?

Don't bother raising your hands excitedly because its blatantly obvious 90% of you don't have a clue.

Scientific Theory-a hypothesis that has been proven to not be disproven multiple times, all tests of which have occurred separately and with consistency in their results, individually and collectively.

Science works backwards to most logic. We don't prove something by seeing if it works, but by testing all possible ways that it could not work.
Proof by Disproof

You think Darwin pulled the Theory of Evolution out of his ***? HELL NO!!! Many scientists were coming to similar conclusions. He was just in the right place at the right time and got his book published first. The Theory of Evolution is the collective pull of thousands of experiments and observations that all point towards the same result. Stop thinking in your small little minds that because the word theory is in there that it is a simple guess or something that can be proved false at a whim.

Yes, scientific theories are meant to be able to be disproven if there is an experiment to do. It is one of the laws that describes the way a scientific theory must be written. It must be testable. BUT the reason it is a scientific theory in the first place is that it has stood up to all the damn tests thrown at it.

The Theory of Evolution, as said before, is 99% true(it can always be expanded and changed a little bit), BECAUSE it explains HOW, not WHY. I am a devout Catholic. I believe in God with my whole heart and in His creation of everything. HOW CAN I DO THAT?!!?!?!? Because I freaking know the two ideas can be easily blended. God created the universe, evolution took it from there. Done story.

Now that I'm done with my little rant about how you guys are fighting with ill-conceived logic.....of course creationism shouldn't be taught in schools! thats ridiculous! To excite so many different religious and anti-religious views in doing so would be a political nightmare! Religion has its place in all parts of life surely, but not in classrooms based on teaching science.

Oh and lastly, clever-mind please go take a couple psychology courses and then come back and tell me if it is logical that superior creatures would come down, aid us, and then leave :/

MrPostman

Viceroy
Someone explain to me how evolution and creationism is compatible, because they are not. I see people putting it forth, but there are no reasons being provided. (Outside of liking science and being unable to abandon touchy-feely crap)

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
Someone explain to me how evolution and creationism is compatible, because they are not. I see people putting it forth, but there are no reasons being provided. (Outside of liking science and being unable to abandon touchy-feely crap)

Actually, plenty of reasons have been provided. Many people believe God created the first forms of life and they then evolved on their own.

MrPostman

Viceroy
Would you point one out for me? It's certainly not "biblical", and as a metaphor with no basis it still fails.

Last edited:

Lucos

Clever post there LucarioMan101.

To add one more thing to your post:

What if we would accept creationism to be "taught" in our schools, then seriously, WHAT'S NEXT? Next thing we know we're going to get taught about INVISIBLE PINK UNICORNS! Seriously...

Tyrant Tar

Someone explain to me how evolution and creationism is compatible, because they are not.

Evolution isn't "the beginning." Nor does it outright make it impossible for an omnipotent being (particularly one that seems to use natural forces to establish it's goals) to exist. If anything, the Big Bang clashes with creationism.

Evolution is like a tree: it grows and branches out, each branch being unique from each other yet having the same source.
But someone (God) could have planted it and someone could have guided it's growth.

Curiously, the Bible's Creation story loosely follows evolutions basic path: fish>land creatures>humans. Hmm...