• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Dawn and Serena Meet Up With May and their rivals?

DatsRight

Problem with Nando is he disappeared for 80% of DP and he never battled Dawn in a single contest. I always saw him as more of Zoey's rival than Dawn's, which makes sense since Zoey battled him. Dawn and Nando actually never battled again after episode 4 which was really weird. It's difficult to say he was a rival to her since they never faced one another in a contest.

I liked Ursula but a lot of her antics felt like the writers were re-doing Harley but as a girl this time and without the villain antics. The way she'd get angry when she lost and sneer at Dawn from a mile away was the same thing they did with Harley. And sadly we never get to see Ursula beat Dawn at least once, Dawn beats her 3 times in a row making the rivalry look one-sided.
I feel like Ursula maybe came off as an underplayed lite-Harley because Jessie was being boosted more in the DP contests so they technically already had a jerk rival. At the same time however Jessie wasn't actually as antagonistic that series and her actually making some progress legitimately was portrayed kind of sympathetically, so Ursula kinda took over the more spiteful antics without Harley's plus of being more menacing. Really I think DP and XY might have had too many rivals to juggle.

Granted I feel like the 'spiteful rival' in contests was sometimes difficult to achieve. I'm all for antagonist rivals that play dirty but still technically within the rules, but some of Harley's backstage sabotages like playing embarrassing things about May through a speaker feel like things that he only could get away with due to idle judges. Even Team Rocket are usually smart enough to try to cheat in ways that aren't meant to be caught out.

It would work even worse in audience-involved stuff like showcases, you'd need heavy plot armour to excuse them rooting for a bully, likely why Amelia didn't get developed in that role any further and Jessie once again is playing more legitimately.

Last edited:

KukuiFanatic501

It would work even worse in audience-involved stuff like showcases, you'd need heavy plot armour to excuse them rooting for a bully, likely why Amelia didn't get developed in that role any further and Jessie once again is playing more legitimately.
Yeah this was why I never expected them to give Serena her own Harley or Ursala type rival in XY because of Showcases being much more audience focused.

That said, it would’ve been so much better if she had a snarkish, b****y attitude type gal to start cat fights with her or something lol, especially since showcases were female only as opposed to contests.

DatsRight

Yeah this was why I never expected them to give Serena her own Harley or Ursala type rival in XY because of Showcases being much more audience focused.

That said, it would’ve been so much better if she had a snarkish, b****y attitude type gal to start cat fights with her or something lol, especially since showcases were female only as opposed to contests.
I feel like a spiteful rival could work if them going too far was actually the whole point.

Like let's say they pull even dirtier tactics than Harley, and that earns them constant warnings or even disqualifications from the officials or leaves them getting booed by the audience. Heck, this would arguably develop their hatred of the protagonist even more, since from their POV they have everyone on their side working against them. A full on toxic rival that can't let it go even for their own benefit, if probably too much of a self disposing one to be a real threat.

Did you forget Jessibel?
I could imagine Jessie returning in another disguise, and the Pokegirls getting some serious deja vu from this weird red haired diva. :p

Last edited:

Uh Miette is literally that