• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should employers be able to disqualify candidates with tattoos and piercings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Pretty straight-forward topic. It's a known fact that blatant tattoos and piercings usually aren't considered business etiquette in the professional world. Many employers would argue that the person must look professional and presentable to the public. They must not stand out too big or "scare" away potential customers.

However, many others would think that it's wrong to make a decision not based on actual qualification relating to the job. Also, many think that in this day and age, tattoos and piercings are a normal everyday thing.

The question is: is this wrong?

My first response to this type of topic is wondering why we even feel entitled to ask for the rights of the employer to be cut short?

Last edited:
Depends what the job is.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
Depends what the job is.

Basically this.

Some clothing stores look for people with tattoos/piercings as that is part of their style and that would appeal to customers. Others (half tempted to use the word "mainstream") might want people to be without visible tattoos or piercings to appeal to majority of people without them.

I would also consider what it is a tattoo of.

Blazeing Man

proffesional artist
I think so.
people with a bunch of peircings are creepy.
sometimes tattoos have naked people wich is gross.

Takeo

If your whole wardrobe consisted of cloths from the gap, old navy, H&M, etc. preppy boy ****. No 'dark' clothing what so ever. Had no knowledge of rock, alternative, punk music, or what have you. And had no tattoos or piercings you shouldnt be applying at a place like Hot Topic, chances are you wouldn't get it, works both ways.

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
Why restrict it to just tattoos and piercings, though? What about people with dyed hair or weird hair styles? Or the colour of your skin or your religious or sexual preferences.

The way you present yourself to a potential employer is important. Often, people who want to make good impressions will remove their piercings or make their hair look more socially acceptable to present a more socially acceptable image. While I don't know about denying a job to someone based solely on that, you likely won't impress most serious employers by presenting yourself in a way that many interpret as being rebellious, unsanitary and unattractive. (Not my own opinions, but that's how many people think.)

It's not so much that an employer will not hire you for having a tattoo, but rather that being covered in tattoos may create an overall negative impression that won't score you many points in many "professional" environments. You have to be aware of the impression you make depending on how you present yourself, and this is a combination of everything from how you dress to how you give a handshake.

I think so.
people with a bunch of peircings are creepy.
sometimes tattoos have naked people wich is gross.
Not everyone with piercings is creepy.
Not all tattoos feature naked people.

Don't make generalizations.

~Psychic

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
The right or wrong of the question lies in what the job entails. Piercings in my line of work can lead to industrial accidents if hoops or dangly. Mills and Lathes are quite unforgiving when they grab dangling objects.

As a waiter, again dependent on where the job is. Biker bar... tats and piercings would be fine. Upscale club... Gaged ears are probably not the image they want to project.

So depending on they type of employment, yes appearance should be important to the employer.

Takeo, good point about places like Hot Topic.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Implying that they want to force the employer to employ a specific person?
I'm just saying, many say that if they aren't hired, it has to be because the person is overall better at performance and not looks.

Well since this world is extremely bias and loves to judge people based on how they dress, how they look, if they have piercings/tattoos ..then I guess it is what it is.
I personally hate that some jobs refuse to hire anyone who has a few piercings and/or tattoos, cause they could be an amazing employee. Piercing your skin does not damage your brain or working abilities.

But I guess they might lose customers since so many people find others with these things creepy or disgusting. Another reason why people are such stuck up morons who think they're the best thing on earth and everyone must bow down to them and look like what they want them to. Pretty sad IMO.

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
Should employers be able to disqualify candidates with tattoos and piercings?

No they shouldn't even though piercings looks really stupid expect for ear piercings on girls
Ear piercings look stupid on guys since they normally only get small earrings

Kingsley

do my dance
I kind of think it's the same thing as turning someone away from a job just because they're ugly. If someone has piercings, they can take them out. If someone has tattoos, you just have to deal.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Mandi... When was the last time a fancy dressed person beat to death or shot some innocent person? Now look at a police suspect book and see how many individuals are tats and piercings and how many are clean cut. Just saying.

Yes Glass eye you should be able to appear however you want... so long as it isn't in a professional environment.

That's really stereotypical. No offense.
I can see what you're getting at, but not everyone who gets a nice tattoo or a piercing here or there should be considered a threat to society, no matter how many criminals are out there who have these tattoos and/or piercings.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I'm not offended Mandi. As a dishwasher I could dress and look however I wanted, as long as I had on long pants and a Tee. But as a waiter or Bar Tender at Red Lobster, I had to have the Corporate waiter look. I admit I am taking the stereotype to an extreme... two of my fellow Bus boys(I did 4 jobs at the store to max my hours!) were Skinheads (card carrying bigoted Neo Nazis!) They had most of their tats covered and only wore studs on the job, and actually looked "respectable" as Bus boys.

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
Yep, they can totally disqualify candidates with tattoos and piercings if they want to portray a certain image. They're a private business, so they can do what they want to.

ChinpokomonOh?

In my opinion you should dress for the job, most employers are looking for the "professional look" as many have said before. Clean cut and dressed nicely. You should always go to a job interview that way, it shouldn't matter if it's not your style. It's work, once you get the job you're probably going to be required to wear some type of polo, shirt or kakhis after you get hired anyway. Piercings just simply take out for the interview, put them back when you get hired. If they ask you to take them out on the job, not a lot you can do, you have to follow the dress code, a lot of places probably wouldn't care though. For tattoos, you're kinda screwed if it's showing, not much to do with it.

Is it right? not really, appearance doesn't determine what kind of person you are or how hard you work. Not a lot you can do, best to just follow dress codes for jobs and don't get any tattoos that you can't cover up with a long sleeve shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.