• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should every Dragon type Pokémon be able to learn Flamethrower ?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 96.3%

• Total voters

Everlasting

Everything stays.

Simple question here.
Dragons are known to be fire-breathing mythological creatures and to destroy villages by burning their enemies and everything around .

To date, few Dragon type Pokémon can't learn the move Flamethrower in any ways. These are Axew, Fraxure, Haxorus, Latias, Latios, Zekrom, Kyurem, Kingdra, Vibrava (Flygon, however, can), Giratina, Deino and Zweilous (Hydreigon, however, can).
To you, should every Dragon type Pokémon be able to learn Flamethrower ? I personally think that they should. Many other Pokémon that shouldn't really be able to learn it can, such as Cleffa, Igglybuff, Happiny and Togepi, while some Dragon types like Haxorus and Zekrom can't. What do you think about it ?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Honestly, that list of Pokemon in the first post really ought to be bigger. Can we talk about how Dialga and Palkia, one of which is half Steel and the other of which is half Water, somehow learn Flamethrower?

Keegan™

Well I never saw it as a reference of fire breathing dragons. I always saw dragon Pokémon learning flamethrower to counter their ice weakness.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
And Zekrom and Kyurem aren't even associated with Fire unlike Reshiram.
This. There's some that just don't make sense (along with the Kingdra line), and I also don't think that younger forms should necessarily be able to learn the move too. Final form of most knowing it makes decent sense, but maybe not the likes of Axew.

Pokemon~Master

I can't see Kingdra or Kyurem learning it, either, due to their habitats and abilities. I mean, even Flygon makes sense, living in the arid desert, and Garchomp, too, according to the dex, an tropical beast, likely originally from somewhere hot and humid like Hoenn. The rest make sense, Gyarados being a Eastern dragon like Rayquaza and Dragonair, and Salamence and Dragonite, representing the classic description of Western ones, all associated with fire.

Ditto B1tch

It's understandable why non-adult forms of dragon-type Pokemons cannot learn Flamethrower as you can suppose that their firebreath gets stronger in adult/final stage.

About Kingdra, Kyurem and Palkia, it would be very weird if they could learn Flamethrower as fire is opposite to the element they were typed.

About Latios and Latias, I cannot imagine why they aren't able. I got shocked some days ago because I have noticed that when I was trying to include a fire move in my Latios in Black2.

Dragon-type Pokemons cannot be accurately like dragons are described in mythology. Traditional dragons spit fire, but an ice dragon, for example, will logically spits ice instead.

Last edited:

ECM

No. Not all dragons are necessarily fire-breathing dragons. That's just the most commonly known one. Don't get me wrong, it'd be way cool to see a Kingdra using flamethrower, especially since I recall Gyarados being able to use flamethrower, but it shouldn't be required to know the move just because it's a dragon.

EDIT: Slowpoke, Remoraid and Palkia are also water types that can learn Flamethrower, though only by TM

Last edited:

The Musician

Heracross trainer
Dragons can be based on all kinds of different elements in various mythologies. A dragon based on the element of ice would breath ice, not fire (Kyurem). Just take the dragons in Dungeons and Dragons lore for example.

GoldenHouou

antagoonist
Hell no. The fire-breathing-town-destroying dragon is purely a Western concept. One Western idea of a dragon != all dragons ever. Asian dragons are nothing like them, for example. That, and most of the "dragons" Pokémon has don't even follow any myth or legend - it's just a type. If all dragons equaled fire, they'd just be part of Fire type instead.

Enjolras

Master of the House
It's a definite no. Not Every dragon can breathe fire, in myths, so no every Dragon type should learn flamethrower. Also, like previously stated, having Kingdra use flamethrower would be absolutely ridiculous.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I'm with the people who don't mind not all of them being able to do it. A lot of the ones that don't are kind of justified. Kingdra's water type (that hasn't stopped octillery and as pokemonsquared pointed out, gyarados, but eh), vibrava's kind of a doodlebug, which would be pretty weird to see breathing fire, and the latis are psychic dragons which the idea of reckless blazing onslaught like flamethrower wouldn't suit. The dragon type is different from the fire type, so I say there's no reason dragons should automatically be required to be able to use fire moves just due to being dragons.

Honestly, that list of Pokemon in the first post really ought to be bigger. Can we talk about how Dialga and Palkia, one of which is half Steel and the other of which is half Water, somehow learn Flamethrower?

Aren't there flamethrowers that are at least partly made of metal? I don't see why dialga shouldn't be able to use flamethrower, though palkia I'm not so sure about.

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Mh, there's some interesting answers, thanks!
About the case of Water types, Palkia is still able to use Flamethrower and it doesn't stop it from being part of a Water type Pokémon. But I don't understand the point of being the complete opposite, such as Kyurem and Zekrom. Kyurem is able to learn Sunny Day, wich I can't see how it can. Such Dragon types, like Dialga, aren't even related to the fire so I don't think this...
And Zekrom and Kyurem aren't even associated with Fire unlike Reshiram.
... is valid. It's not because Reshiram was introduced with two other Dragon type legendaries that it automatically include the unability for Zekrom and Kyurem to learn fire attacks, if we follow my thread subject.
I'm concerned not every dragon can unleash fire from their bodies. But some Dragon types, such as Haxorus, can't learn a move that definitely fits with their skills and physical appearance. I still wonder why it can't.
How do you see Kingdra using Flamethrower?
How do you see Octillery using Flamethrower ? By its mouth, of course. Kingdra has a similar mouth and I don't know why it couldn't. If it can unleash bowling water, it should be able to unleash simple fire, no ?
Thanks everyone for answering!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I figured it made more sense for octillery to have flamethrower because its line is based on firearms and it can use about every projectile move you can name, but the horsea line's also seems to be slightly based on archerfish and shoot stuff, so maybe it doesn't make no sense at all.

Still, out of the dragon types, it probably would make the least sense for kingdra to have it.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
I think only if it is heavily based on Western dragons such as Dragonite and Salamence are, are based on destruction like Hydreigon or are part Fire should they learn Flamethrower. Otherwise, it wouldn't make too much sense. Dragon-types are already powerful, that's why Fairy-type was introduced. If all of them learned a strong move of a type that provides near-perfect coverage with Dragon-type attacks, they would be too strong.