• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Extinct Animal Species be Revived?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
The fact that we've already proven cloning IS possible, despite a lot of the problems, shows that it will eventually be possible to do it. It's just a matter of when.

As for IF we should, I want to say yes, because we could learn a lot, but at the same time, it could be dangerous.

grayzoroark

Dark Type Gym Leader
Well if we do it, some big company guy will destroy our ecosystem from stealing the formula of watever and making a park, something bad will happen and either all the mammoths will die once again or the ecosystem now gets completely SCREWED, and if we do clone them,who knows watll go wrong,never play the role of god

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
I agree completely with ShadowSplash. Reviving extinct animals would create so much of an interest, but still be very dangerous. However, dangers may also be reduced seeing as there would be 0 chance of these animals ever even entering the wild.

Typhlosionvsworld

Y u mad bro?
My personal opinion would be no. Reasons for this would be that they most likely would never be able to survive in the wild again and so would all need to be kept in captivity. Not to mention this would cost millions of dollars. I think we should focus more on the endangered species and stop humans hunting them down.

Exactly. Why use all the money to clone a mammoth that can't live i its natural habitat and may not even act like a mammoth because of its mother?

Jimmy1

Pokemon Master
I think that we shouldn't bring them back...they will bring deceases from which we won't be able to defend ourselves. They won't live the way they were made to...

Imagine a dinosaur in Times Square?

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
I'd like to see a Dodo bird.

SurfingHaxorus

No we shoudn't. There are already tons of animals and plants that are heading towards the extiction cliff due to changes in the world's climate. There is no need to bring back species that already failed that game of survial. Plus with all are mucking on Earth Mammoths and Dinos won't live long any way.

Well if we do it, some big company guy will destroy our ecosystem from stealing the formula of watever and making a park, something bad will happen and either all the mammoths will die once again or the ecosystem now gets completely SCREWED, and if we do clone them,who knows watll go wrong,never play the role of god

Do people actually read previous pages in debates? I already said that they can't have a big influence on the ecosystem. First of all, there wouldn't be a diverse amount of genes. Because each animal you clone from the same source will be identical. That'll increase the amount of genetic diseases within the population, making the entire species very weak and unlikely to survive. And if you only have one source all of the animals will be the same gender.

Second of all, they're not adapted to the environment. Unless they died out pretty recently. The temperature is different, the atmosphere is different and the food sources are different.

Lastly, there would only be a few individuals to start with. If species where there's only a few hundred left of are at the brink of extinction, don't you think a species where there's only a few individuals of is doomed to die out really quickly? Besides they've already proven they don't breed that fast or can't adapt that well because they already went extinct once.

I think that we shouldn't bring them back...they will bring deceases from which we won't be able to defend ourselves. They won't live the way they were made to...

Err you mean diseases? Cloning is a process that happens on an intracellular level. So there's no possibility that it can bring back extinct diseases.

And if a dinosaur would be in Times Square, they'd just catch it. If it was a big one they'd just use tranquillizers or shoot it. You could kill a Tyrannosaurus with a normal handgun if you have a good aim.

legendarypokemonmaster

The only situation where I could see a good reason for reviving a species is if we disrupt the balance and wipe out the species. Even then it might be risky because we aren't perfect at cloning.

We should bring back the neanderthals. We can get them to do the jobs that no one wants to do.

Neanderthals actually had a bigger brain. They're also your ancestors if you're not from African descent. According to this article from Discovery News they crossbred with Homo Sapiens. Which isn't really surprising because they were more closely related to each other than tigers and lions are while those can breed with each other too and their offspring can breed as well.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Neanderthals actually had a bigger brain. They're also your ancestors if you're not from African descent. According to this article from Discovery News they crossbred with Homo Sapiens. Which isn't really surprising because they were more closely related to each other than tigers and lions are while those can breed with each other too and their offspring can breed as well.
Maybe we should bring neanderthals back so we can breed with them.

lexigurl97

Ace Trainer
i think bringing back extinct animals that can live in this world without causing harm to any of the current animals, is fine. for example- the dodo bird (spelling?). wht harm does a dodo bird pose. its a bird! another example- the dinosaurs- BIG N O! first of all, they wud b the top dogs, not humans. sure we have guns, bombs, etc. but the dinosaurs are bigger, can prob destroy society, and they wud prob b people tht wud oppose bringing back dinos and people who wud fight back FOR the dinos. so my point- depends on the animal.

i think bringing back extinct animals that can live in this world without causing harm to any of the current animals, is fine. for example- the dodo bird (spelling?). wht harm does a dodo bird pose. its a bird! another example- the dinosaurs- BIG N O! first of all, they wud b the top dogs, not humans. sure we have guns, bombs, etc. but the dinosaurs are bigger, can prob destroy society, and they wud prob b people tht wud oppose bringing back dinos and people who wud fight back FOR the dinos. so my point- depends on the animal.

Why do so many people think all dinosaurs were big? Most of them weren't that huge. Their size reached lengths between the size of a pidgeon to 50 meters. Also, big carnivores were rare and bred pretty slowly. They also wouldn't destroy society. They're just animals. It's funny how you think that birds aren't harmful to anything and think dinosaurs are the biggest monsters that ever existed while birds are technically dinosaurs from the Maniraptora clade.

Also if they'd clone a big dinosaur like a giganotosaurus or something, don't you think they'd notice it that it'd be gone before it gets too far away from the lab?

Maybe we should bring neanderthals back so we can breed with them.
If thick brow bones turn you on, you maybe should try to clone them.

Last edited:

MegSuicune251

Pokemon's #1 Fan
I think they should revive some extinct species. I think they already revived the Tazmanian Tiger but one animal I wanna see again is the quagga. Basically, a quagga looks like a donkey/zebra hybrid and were killed off in the 1800s for their fur. Also wanna see a dodo, Stellars sea cow and moa.

I think they should revive some extinct species. I think they already revived the Tazmanian Tiger but one animal I wanna see again is the quagga. Basically, a quagga looks like a donkey/zebra hybrid and were killed off in the 1800s for their fur. Also wanna see a dodo, Stellars sea cow and moa.

Sadly, they never were able to clone the tasmanian tiger (thylacine). However there's a cloning project that started in 1999. But the only breakthrough they made was extracting replicable DNA. They also activated a gene that was unique to the thylacine in a mouse embryo but so far that's the only progress they made.

I don't think there's much hope to restore any of those species. Most thylacine DNA is already too degraded to use as cloning material while the last thylacine died in 1936. All the remains of the species you mentioned are older than the thylacine remains, making the chance that there's any usable DNA in it way smaller. Unless you'd find a really well preserved frozen specimen or something.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
The fact that we've already proven cloning IS possible, despite a lot of the problems, shows that it will eventually be possible to do it. It's just a matter of when.

As for IF we should, I want to say yes, because we could learn a lot, but at the same time, it could be dangerous.
Agreed. It would be interesting to see if we COULD bring back a mammoth, in the interest of science. The kinds of things we could learn are numerous. Plus, it would help us deepen our understanding of genetics, and how animals lived in certain epochs.

You're kidding me, right? Take a newborn tiger from his parents in the San Diego Zoo. Move him to a solitary enclosure in that big cats refuge in Florida. As he grows, he will act like a tiger because it is in his DNA to act like a tiger. He may not learn from his parents how to hunt and kill and swim and what have you, but he will learn from his base instincts. The same would apply with a revived species. While they would not have others of their kind to guide them, they would certainly learn from instinct.
I only quoted this one post, but this response is to the entire "bring back neanderthals" thing. think of it this way. In almost every fantasy book I've ever read (and I've read lots), if there were more than two race of sentient creatures, there was at least some tension between them. If we introduced Neanderthals into the modern world, eventually they would learn our ways (maybe not for centuries, but they would eventually), and reach an intellectual level close to ours.
Today, we can't get along with people of the same species. We look down on people because of their skin color. Imagine if we had two different races of "humans" or rather... humanoid creatures. It'd be terrible.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
Reviving and cloning mammoths/dodo birds/whichever would be a great advance in science. However, if this were to happen, it could promote illegal cloning of various other animals, potentially causing problems in nature.

The invention of time machines has the same problem. We could invent time machines one day, but one of them might get stolen. This bad person, gun in hand, could go back to George Washington's time and kill him.

With the great power gained in the form of information, there also comes the responsibility. It'd be high risk, high reward if they decide to do this. The power to clone something has an almost infinite amount of power. And no doubt somebody would kill to lay hands on that machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.