• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should field moves return?

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I'd say yes. I like the idea that Pokémon can help you interact with your world, & that you may need to train to reach certain areas.

Never been into competitive play, so field moves don't hurt me there.

Ultra Beast Lover

No, field moves shouldn't return. Even if they can be forgotten you'd still have to have an HM slave take up at least one slot. No what they should do is just have Pokemon who can swim/fly/move rocks already able to do so, that way no moves take up the move slots and nine times out of ten you'll have a Pokemon who can already do it without HMs.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I dislike obstacles in the games in general, so the idea of having field moves in future games isn't appealing to me. S/M/US/UM handled them better than most previous games, but I still prefer not having to use specific moves to clear objects.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Just added a easy reminder, after being accustomed to Charizard Glide, Corviknight Taxi and Eon Flute for transport...they are all so much better compared to keep a pokemon that using Fly. Kalos areas are huge and still complex and i always hate keeping a Flyer because of that. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are just as bad. If it wasn't for the Eon Flute (Mega Latias) when you forgot your flyer that it would be tedious to maintain.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
They definitely should be back in the form of field abilities, i. e. without taking up moveslots, but unlike Secret Techniques, they should be usable by each and every Pokemon that looks like it can use them, not just a select few. They also should be required for progressing the story, reducing the number of NPC roadblocks to an absolute minimum. Also, since the boulders now stay permanently pushed into holes, the Strength puzzles should be larger and more complex, like on Route 23 in Unova.
In other words, you can have a Latios knowing Draco Meteor, Psyshock, Thunderbolt and Mystical Fire, and still be able to chop down thorny bushes, light up the darkness, clear fog, fly around, cross the water, climb waterfalls, pass through whirlpools, and dive in the sea. You can have an Arcanine with Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Wild Charge and Extreme Speed - and still be able to move large boulders, smash rocks, and climb cliffs. Each field ability (barring those that allow you to fly around, light up darkness, and clear fog) is unlocked after winning a certain Badge/its equivalent. This way, you won't have to waste moveslots/party slots, but it will be a great demonstration of the theme of the franchise, which is getting to explore the world thanks to your Pokemon.
You keep being sad about people not wanting a dumb thing to come back tbh.

WaterTypeStarter

Can you two stop it please? This is a post for discussion on the return of field moves, not bothering others for being "sad" about something.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I'd be okay with the gen 7 style field moves, where you don't need an extra slot in your party. But I'm glad HM's are gone. I don't want those back.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
What if Pokemon had a 5th slot, but moves in that slot could only be used outside of battle?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
To a certain extent I do. Sweet Scent, Milk Drink, Softboiled, Dig (with a change that it can dig up hidden items in dirt and sand instead of escaping since the Escape Rope is now permanent and can be used anywhere), and Teleport need to return as field moves and Foresight (reveals hidden Pokémon and other dangers in the overworld), Vine Whip (helps swing you across large gaps), and Electify (powers up special devices that light up and cause other mechanical objects to function properly) should also become field moves.

Ultra Beast Lover

To a certain extent I do. Sweet Scent, Milk Drink, Softboiled, Dig (with a change that it can dig up hidden items in dirt and sand instead of escaping since the Escape Rope is now permanent and can be used anywhere), and Teleport need to return as field moves and Foresight (reveals hidden Pokémon and other dangers in the overworld), Vine Whip (helps swing you across large gaps), and Electify (powers up special devices that light up and cause other mechanical objects to function properly) should also become field moves.
That'd actually be pretty nice

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
They should not be required for the main plot. But needing them for secret areas for post-game Legendaries and all that should be fair game.