• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Gamefreak Update The Pokemon's Cries?

I feel that...

• ...Gamefreak should update/change the cries of Pokemon.

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • ...it makes no difference whatsoever, as it doesn't affect gameplay.

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • ...Gamefreak should not tamper with the cries of any Pokemon.

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
For the past 4 generations of the main series of Pokemon games, a Pokemon has kept the same exact cry that it debuted with. Many people feel that Gamefreak should replace these cries with newer versions, or something completely different alltogether. Where do you stand on this?

Personally, I find it odd playing HeartGold and SoulSilver, with all of these new features and an overall new-feeling twist to the gameplay, and encountering Pokemon from past generations with cries that still use ancient GameBoy sounds. But it makes no difference to the gameplay, so I'm not complaining. Just thought I'd get a discussion going.

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
Yes. They should, instead of computer generating them, record them!

Dattebayo

Banned
Keep them the way they are; I am so use to hearing them and I spread out of enjoyment from hearing them.

Aurath8

It makes no difference to the gameplay. Some 4th gen cries were interesting like Mismagius and I don't exactly hate most older gen cries. A very small amount from gen 1 like Geodudes cry might need revamping but they should leave the pokemon's cries alone. I still like goofing off and listening to Jynx's and Exeggutors rythmic cries.

Xweek

Diligent Shipper
How much storage would the cries of both the new Pokemon and the updated old Pokemon take, out of curiosity?

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
The only, and I mean the only thing they could and maybe should change is the pokemon with the same cries.
Like Rhyhorn and Charizard.
Alter Rhyhorn's voice alittle or something like that,
But I don't see them doing any of that, so yeah.

White Wizard

Hundred acre Woods
i dont it really makes a different

I think it would be nice if they used updated sounds while keeping the cry basically the same. Though some Pokémon such as Mew, Mewtwo, Paras, and Parasect, all of which have extremely similar cries, should have their cries sound more different from each other.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Nope, leave 'em. They're really fine, and more effort can be put into features or changes that will actually matter.

mewoxeys

id really keep it the same or else a bunch of fannerd rages would happen from 20-30 year old gamers claming they want everything to stay the same plus id like to keep the sounds even without the fannerds complaining but if they do i wont throw a hissy fit

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
id really keep it the same or else a bunch of fannerd rages would happen from 20-30 year old gamers claming they want everything to stay the same plus id like to keep the sounds even without the fannerds complaining but if they do i wont throw a hissy fit

*raises hand* Oh hi there.

Actually, I wouldn't be upset if they were changed, but my personal preference would be for them to stay as they are.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
I'm fine with either, but I'm sure they could update, in the Super Smash Bros games the pokemon make the sounds they do in the anime (their own names) I wouldn't mind hearing that in the pokemon games themselves.

BCVM22

in the Super Smash Bros games the pokemon make the sounds they do in the anime (their own names) I wouldn't mind hearing that in the pokemon games themselves.

Because any given Super Smash Bros. game contains a fraction of the entire Pokédex, making it significantly easier and more feasible to sample the voice work, use it and pay the necessary royalties to the voice actors and not nearly as much of a hassle to make those same tasks necessary for every localization team worldwide.

Take all of that and suddenly make it necessary for every single one of what will soon be 600+ Pokémon and the ease and feasibility goes right out the window, particularly because not every Pokémon has a voiced animé appearance, making it necessary to not only sample existing voice work, but to bring in actors to perform new voice work.

They don't do all of that for a reason - it would add a ton more to development work and costs for minimal benefit.

Serebii!

I dont really care that much I have the sound off a lot of the time
They could change some but keep them similiar just update them a bit
They could give things like Zubat 2 different cries so you wouldn't hear the same thing all the time, or have different sounds for male and female

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Because any given Super Smash Bros. game contains a fraction of the entire Pokédex, making it significantly easier and more feasible to sample the voice work, use it and pay the necessary royalties to the voice actors and not nearly as much of a hassle to make those same tasks necessary for every localization team worldwide.
Take all of that and suddenly make it necessary for every single one of what will soon be 600+ Pokémon and the ease and feasibility goes right out the window, particularly because not every Pokémon has a voiced animé appearance, making it necessary to not only sample existing voice work, but to bring in actors to perform new voice work.
They don't do all of that for a reason - it would add a ton more to development work and costs for minimal benefit.

If the anime is willing to do it why can't the games, the games make more money than the anime. Plus 600 pokemon means only 600 words needs to be put in 1 for each pokemon, 600+ words does not seem like a lot since other games have way more and really 600 words just turns into 600 more sounds. Plus 1 person can do a big majority of the voices for pokemon all in all you probably wouldn't need more than 10 voice actors to say 600 words.

I don't think it would take that much longer to develop the games since many voices are already pre-recorded from the anime. But I guess for tradition sake it's not all important that they do it. Also negotiations between voice actors don't always go the way the company wants. Again I'm not saying they should do it, I'm saying they could do it and I wouldn't mind if they did nor would I mind if they didn't.

Kojinka

An Inside Joke
Updating the cries would kill much of the nostalgia for me. If they want to update the cry of a pokemon whose cry is identical to that of another, fine, but keep it retro. ie: Goldeen, whose current cry is sometimes confused with caterpie's, would be given Seaking's 'tune', but keep Goldeen's high pitched chirps.

Sorry guys, but I am one of those 20-30 year-old players that would throw a fannerd hissy fit if they completely revamped every classic cry.

Last edited: