• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Gyarados have it's Type Changed?

Should Gyarados have it's Typing Changed?

• Yes

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 45 76.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
No, I doubt any Pokemon will ever get its type changed. People seem to forget that the only Pokemon who ever got its type changed was Magnemite/Magneton, and that was 14 years ago. Seems like if they wanted to change a Pokemon's type they would have done it already.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
They could remove the flying type. I don't see why Gyarados has it, it doens't fly it just swims in the water and crawls on land. How the heck is it supposed to fly?

But they aren't gonna remove his flying type. Like someone above me already said: if Nintendo wanted to do that, they would've done it by now.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
They could remove the flying type. I don't see why Gyarados has it, it doens't fly it just swims in the water and crawls on land. How the heck is it supposed to fly?

It is based on Chinese dragons. Chinese dragons flies. Again, it is perfectly fine as a Water/Flying Pokémon.

Rezzo

Occasionally

Flying type doesn't necessarily mean that it can fly. Check Doduo, Dodrio, and Spearow. Perfect examples of Flying type Pokémon who cannot fly properly.

As for Pokémon that cannot learn Fly, there's a lot. Think Bug/Flying hybrids and other small Flying types.

Lanik

Flying type doesn't necessarily mean that it can fly. Check Doduo, Dodrio, and Spearow. Perfect examples of Flying type Pokémon who cannot fly properly.

As for Pokémon that cannot learn Fly, there's a lot. Think Bug/Flying hybrids and other small Flying types.

True. Not all flying-type pokes are capable of ascending into the sky. Gliscor cannot learn to fly either, but it's flexible enough to learn acrobatics. It's a glider, not a flyer.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
No. King Gyarados should remain a Water/Flying type. The other Dragon types can remain pressed that he won't join them.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
No, if it were to be Water/Dragon it would've been in Generation I. The only reason Magnemite and Magneton got their type changed was because Steel was introduced after they had been. Dragon was a type when Gyarados was introduced so there is no reason as to why they wouldn't have typed it as Water/Dragon instead of Water/Flying from the beginning. Same reasoning goes for Charizard.

Angeltripper

♥ Ace ♥
No, if it were to be Water/Dragon it would've been in Generation I. The only reason Magnemite and Magneton got their type changed was because Steel was introduced after they had been. Dragon was a type when Gyarados was introduced so there is no reason as to why they wouldn't have typed it as Water/Dragon instead of Water/Flying from the beginning. Same reasoning goes for Charizard.

what about rotom? it's type changed in gen 5

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
But its type changes with its form so the original Rotom, Normal Rotom, is still its first Electric/Ghost type.

Yeah, but before 5th gen, the other Rotom forms were all Electric/Ghost, now they're Electric/(insert form type here). That's proof that they can change types whenever they want if needed. It just doesn't happen very often because there's usually no need to. And that's certainly the case here.

Freeze Frame

Gyarados doesn't need to be a Water/Dragon.

And really, the only change that ought to happen is add Fly to Gyarados' move list (as well as a couple of other flying moves). Because I want to fly around on a Chinese Dragon, darn it!

Arlo

...and so on...
Well... first, to get it out of the way, I'd say that there's absolutely no chance that its type will change. None at all.

That said, Gyarados obviously IS a dragon. That's why it learns Dragon Dance and why it's in the Dragon egg group. I would have to assume that it was meant to be a dragon all along, but simply wasn't made Water/Dragon in Gen I because there's nothing that could've countered it. It was (and sometimes still is) hard enough to counter it as Water/Flying - as Water/Dragon, it would've been plain unstoppable. After five generations of new pokemon, it'd be possible to counter it now if it was Water/Dragon, but still potentially damned tough - that's just a particularly strong combination, and Gyarados is a particularly bulky AND hard-hitting pokemon. But it could probably be done. But it won't. It's a pokemon and it's Water/Flying and that's just the way it is.

I would like to see it get a physical Flying move other than Bounce though. It can't even get a decent HP any more, since HP is special now (I've got an Adamant Gyarados with HP Flying in Ruby and it's terrifying).

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
I think that the reason why Gyarados is Water/Flying is to give it a crippling weakness considering it's pretty strong.

Yellow De Viridian Grove

Dragon/Water would make it so bulky, but the amount of Dragon types that outspeed it kinda make up for it. Also, DNite has Multi-Scale, so it might be able to survive an attack and KO back. Honestly, it would be interesting.

While changing its type in Gen 1 made it not broken, they also could have added another dragon type move.

Last edited: