• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Hidden Power get side-effects?

Should Hidden Power get side effects?

• Total voters
To Mods: No, this is not a speculation thread. However, if you think this belongs in PokePolls, be my guest~

Ok so, should different Hidden Power types get side-effects? Ex. Freeze with HP Ice and Burn wtih HP Fire? What do you think? Why or why not?

I personally think Hidden Power should get their own side-effects, it adds to the use of HP, don't you think?

pokeaussie37

Nah I think Hidden Power got it's fair share of uniqueness, given it can be any type except Normal. If you added side-effects, you'd have to do it for every single type of Hidden Power.

Bug - Lowers Accuracy
Dark - Flinch
Dragon - Lowers Special Defense
Electric - Paralysis
Fighting - Critical Hit
Fire - Burn
Flying - May force the other team to switch Pokemon
Ghost - Confusion
Grass - Lowers Special Attack
Ground - Lowers Speed
Ice - Freeze
Poison - Poison
Psychic - Sleep
Rock - Lowers Attack
Steel - Lowers Defense
Water - Lowers Evasion

I'd go along with it though, maybe we should add/make changes to this list?

Last edited:

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
^ that would be a good idea, but i don't think Hidden Power needs and side effects to it. Like ^ said you would need to give stuff to every HP which would be hard since there might not be enough things and some things may not fit for the type.

Charoshi

Charmander is best
What I think would be cool, is if to go along with the random base power and type, you get a random effect. For example, you can get a 60 base power grass hp that can inflict confusion, or a 50 base power fire that inflicts sleep.

I also think there should be a physical hp, but that might be a different can of worms.

RogueLapras

Water Gym Leader
I do think this is a neat idea, but it'll probably never happen. And yep ^ I'm sure they would have to give a side-effect to all types.

Nah I think Hidden Power got it's fair share of uniqueness, given it can be any type except Normal. If you added side-effects, you'd have to do it for every single type of Hidden Power.

Bug - Lower Accuracy?
Dark - Flinch?
Dragon - ???
Electric - Paralysis
Fighting - Critical Hit?
Fire - Burn
Flying - May force the other team to switch Pokemon? (blown away like Whirlwind?)
Ghost - Confusion/ Lower SpDef?
Grass - ???
Ground - ???Lower Spd?
Ice - Frozen
Poison - Poison
Psychic - Sleep/ Lower SpDef
Rock - ??? Lower Spd?
Steel - ??? Lower Def?
Water - Lower evasion? (like flooding the surrounding area preventing non-Water types from moving well)

Opinions in bold. Yes, it maybe a diff effect for each type may be difficult, but if Gamefreak ever come up with this, they should be able to do it. Diff effect for diff power is even tougher, viable, but still tough...

pokeaussie37

Opinions in bold. Yes, it maybe a diff effect for each type may be difficult, but if Gamefreak ever come up with this, they should be able to do it. Diff effect for diff power is even tougher, viable, but still tough...

I can see what you think with your opinions, but I personally believe that the basic stats (Attack/Defense/Special Attack/Special Defense/Speed) shouldn't be affected, outside of the status conditions.

how about something like this

Actually, since there were five leftover, why not? :p Yeah for sure I'll edit it in.

Possibly give Ghost 'Sleep' and Psychic 'Confusion?' A straight swap.

And I personally like Takeo's one from before you deleted it. XD To me it seems more accurate, plus I feel the effects should be unique.

Last edited:

Ninja Dog

Banned
^ Yeah we don't need side effects but instead just a physical version of hidden power as well.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I agree. a physical Hidden Power seems better than gaining effect on the one we have

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
you mean like secret power? well it is a normal move with added effects depending on the location.

actually i prefer hidden power stays hidden. the opponent can narrow what is the hidden power move type that hits him but it may take more turns to find out, by that time the pokemon has fainted lol.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!

Bug - Lowers Accuracy
Dark - Flinch
Dragon - Lowers Special Defense
Electric - Paralysis
Fighting - Critical Hit
Fire - Burn
Flying - May force the other team to switch Pokemon
Ghost - Confusion
Grass - Lowers Special Attack
Ground - Lowers Speed
Ice - Freeze
Poison - Poison
Psychic - Sleep
Rock - Lowers Attack
Steel - Lowers Defense
Water - Lowers Evasion

These are good examples it would definitely make Hidden Power More popular.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I think that the move is unique enough to not have more added to it. After all it's the only move that can be any type depending on the Pokémon's statistics.

Wolf Prince

Lycan Seraph
I agree with Calamity, the move already is unique with being multityping attack that varies on the pokemon's stat, why would you want even more?

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Side effects would mean certain typings would have an unequal damage output. The whole point is that it can be any type.

And yes, a physical version is kinda needed (like Hyper Beam and Giga Impact). You would think GF would have taken care of that already.

Last edited:

dewey911p

primus inter pares
side effects would be interesting, but outside of electric, fire, ice, and poison i dont really see the point. However, i really like this idea of a physical variant. It would give so much more coverage to the physical side of the metagame. Haxorus wouldnt need to worry about ice types if it had a physical fire type attack. Yea, i like that idea a lot actually :)

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I don't think Hidden Power needs anything more, I think they need to create a move for Physical sweepers that works the same way, but off the Attack stat instead.

PsiOmega

An old soul
Jeez, does it really matter? Hidden Power doesn't need an added effect when it's already so useful.