• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Mario retired?

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Sorry if this is old news but I was looking around the internet and I came across this column by Patrick Goss and he think that Mario should retired and that nintendo should move on. In my I think that he is wrong Mario is Nintendo mascot and thay haven't gone wrong with him yet also mario isn't the only game that nintendo make so it not like they are over using him.

Here the link to the columnhttp://tech.uk.msn.com/gaming/article.aspx?cp-documentid=9277714

Dattebayo

Banned
I completely disagree with this guy, Nintendo isn't going to retire Mario for a long time. Plus, he thinks Nintendo should do the same thing to Mario like Disney did with Mickey Mouse. There's something he got his information wrong about that. Unlike Nintendo, Disney stinks nowadays because of Hannah Montana and High School Musical. So Nintendo is still going strong with their mascot.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
This is as straight forward as the 4th gen is last gen argument.

Mario is nintendo's biggest seller. Anyone in Nintendo who was to say: "Hey you guys, lets stop making our most profitable series!" would be fired, laughed at, and possibly pelted with rocks.

Case closed. Bye Bye!

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
No...Mario is still going strong. If you look at the sales of Super Mario Galaxy (and possible hints of a Galaxy 2), you'll see the wonder plumber still has staying power.

This is as straight forward as the 4th gen is last gen argument.

Mario is nintendo's biggest seller. Anyone in Nintendo who was to say: "Hey you guys, lets stop making our most profitable series!" would be fired, laughed at, and possibly pelted with rocks.

Case closed. Bye Bye!

-_-, No one is asking whether Nintendo will end the series, the topic is whether they should.

Chris

Old Coot
I for one would be disgusted if the next generation of gamers didn't remember Mario for his pioneering turn in Mario 64, for instance, or as the hero of Donkey Kong but merely thought of him as one of the funny cartoon men on Super Smash Bros part 18 or one of the unlockable characters on the latest Nintendo driving game.
We're already at that point. A lot of newcomer gamers are stupidly believing that game consoles never existed prior to the PS2 and end up dismissing anything that isn't "mature."

In fact you might well suggest that Wii Play and even Wii Fit are more immediately identifiable as the games that define the Wii which, whisper it, perhaps says a lot about Nintendo's move into more of a family (and peripheral-happy) audience.
Nintendo's fault. All the previous consoles had the main Nintendo cast to identify with for each console. NES through GameCube each had a Mario, Zelda, Metroid (save for N64 in this case), and Donkey Kong. Save for the GameCube, the previous consoles all had a Mario game ready to be played for gamers. Even though GameCube didn't have a starting Mario game or any of the others to start it off, it still managed to impress with the games that did come out for that cast.

Wii, however, saw the launch of a Zelda title but was soon shelved away as everyone's attention was placed on Wii Sports and all other sorts of mini-games. Nintendo saw money being made and focused solely on that, leaving those who do enjoy actual games twisting in the wind.

Take a company like Disney. Even though Mickey Mouse is still the company’s mascot and a worldwide megabrand, he no longer stars in their headline films.
No one goes to the theaters anymore to watch 3 to 5 minute cartoon shorts. Besides, Disney hasn't released an actual animated (NOT CG) film in quite a good while. Not to mention, it's not done out of the possibility of harming their characters (see what Warner Bros. has done with the Looney Tunes).

And perhaps without Mario to fall back on Nintendo will continue on their brilliant track of creativity and innovation - and not resort to forcing the old workhorse into cameos in games not worthy of his presence.
BWAHAHAHAHA

maybe havinglink as the mascot...?
*awaits being belted by rocks*

Torpoleon

Mario shouldn't retire because than Pokemon would and some other things like Metroid.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
NEVER. Mario is and always will be awesome. Nintendo would be NOTHING without him, I tell you!

NOTHING!

...And they're obviously not going to retire him soon, since they've made MK Wii, MSC, and SMG. They've also included him in Brawl.

What do you mean?

It's a funny joke started by Locke.

Torpoleon

NEVER. Mario is and always will be awesome. Nintendo would be NOTHING without him, I tell you!

NOTHING!

...And they're obviously not going to retire him soon, since they've made MK Wii, MSC, and SMG. They've also included him in Brawl.

It's a funny joke started by Locke.[/QUOTE
Ok than.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
tangelax said:
What is this I don't even?

ur doing it rong

The very notion of retiring Mario is ridiculous, and the only reasons I saw this guy come up with were very childish. Kids don't appreciate him? Well, they won't appreciate things they never see, either, and we'll all be dead someday. Moron.

ur doing it rong

Thought there was something wrong with it, what was it?

If Nintendo got rid of Mario they would be forced to create new franchises, and I guarantee that they would not be "nothing". I realize that part of that was probably sarcasm but I needed to say something to make this post on-topic.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
tangelax said:
Thought there was something wrong with it, what was it?

It's: what is this i dont even

And, yeah, Nintendo would still go strong without Mario, but there's no way it would be the same. Hold on a tic, was this guy talking about just Mario, or his whole franchise/universe?

Noheart

The Abysswalker
If Nintendo got rid of Mario they would be forced to create new franchises, and I guarantee that they would not be "nothing". I realize that part of that was probably sarcasm but I needed to say something to make this post on-topic.

No duh. ._.

And if they're forced to create new franchises, chances are they won't be that good.
The only good ideas they've had ( imo ) are The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario Bros.

And a lot of the Nintendo Fanbase would sure be angry if Mario was just wiped off the face of the earth.

And if they're forced to create new franchises, chances are they won't be that good.
The only good ideas they've had ( imo ) are The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario Bros.

There's a reason why they haven't had any good franchises apart from the big ones was because they didn't need them. If Nintendo suddenly lost all the rights to use Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon they would come up with more decent games. Hell, they already have decent games but no one can be bothered to play them as they're to busy playing Mario. So Mario gets more money, so Nintendo makes more Mario, so people play more Mario, so Nintendo make more Mario, so people play more Mario, so Nintendo makes more Mario, so people play more... etc. etc.

Adeku

Formerly Torterra14
Mario should never retire!

Mario is one of the most reconized icons and has
one of the best game series of all time!