• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Nintendo Characters talk?

Chris

Old Coot
I like how a lot of people here are completely oblivious to the fact that Nintendo characters have been speaking for ages, even prior to their 3D jumps.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Link CAN talk, but we're never told what he says.

Link: Hey! EXCUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME Princess!

Yes, I realize that the cartoon has nothing to do with the game, and isn't canon in the NES era, or any future era (Fairy companion). But still, that's what he would probably be like if he did talk. Except in Twilight Princess and Ocarina. He'd be like Vin Diesel in them.

Deicario

I believe I can fly.
It always annoyed me how Luigi doesn't talk anymore. Facials emotions and wild waving arms is his only form of communication in Mario And Sonic At The Winter Olympic Games.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Anyone here play Star Fox?
There is also Metroid Prime 3 but Samus never talked during those skits.

Last edited:

Penguinist Trainer

Nintendo characters should only talk if they have something meaningful and worthwhile to say. They shouldn't speak just for the sake of speaking. After all, Nintendo builds its success around some of these characters, and something as simple as a bad voice actor could tarnish the series.

Besides I think the characters are more memorable because they don't speak a language we understand.

For instance, the phony italian the bros. speak in the mario and luigi ds games is great.
It's also hard in my opinion to give a voice to a character such as link. link is the representation of all our inner adventurers. Thats why even though we've been essentially going on the same legendary quest these past 20 years, we keep signing up for the next one.

The only reason I can see for giving link a voice is if the series takes a new turn and instead of jumping from 1 dungeon to the next, he spends more time building relationships and interacting with the residents of Hyrule (or wherever destiny takes him).

I'll trust nintendo to do what's best for the characters we all know and love.

Juggernaut_Nomad-Trooper

Flying Gym leader
Link, Samus and Gordon Freeman should all remain silent protagonists.

It would just seem weird for some, and good for others.

Kirby talked in Kirby's Avalanche, but I'd much rather like it if he just said "Hi!" and "Poyo".

Chris

Old Coot
Nintendo characters should only talk if they have something meaningful and worthwhile to say. They shouldn't speak just for the sake of speaking. After all, Nintendo builds its success around some of these characters, and something as simple as a bad voice actor could tarnish the series.
Stop confusing Nintendo with Sega. As I said before, Nintendo characters have been speaking long before even their 3D jumps.

Link, Samus and Gordon Freeman should all remain silent protagonists.
Samus? Silent protagonist? Did you not even play Super Metroid? The very beginning of the game is narrated by Samus.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I think it depends on the character and the game. For example, I like for the Pokemon trainer and Ness to be relatively silent protagonists. However, I don't mind them saying short phrases in game like Brawl like "PK Thunder!" or "You did it, Charizard!".

One game in which there is tons of voice acting is F-Zero GX (and yes, I mention that game a lot). In the following video, there is a cutscene with dialouge shared between Captain Falcon and Deathborn. Be warned that this video is a spoiler. But if you don't care, then go ahead and watch it.

F-Zero GX Story Mode: Chapter 8 Cutscene

As you can discern, Captain Falcon has an alright speaking voice. However, Deathborn sounds completely awesome.

Katipunero

Eye in the Sky
Nah,so people can dream on how the character is supposed to sound like on their own opinion.How about when snake said "SHOW TIME" in Japanese in brawl,I laughed so hard i started to cry.

Tom Nook

Feel free to browse
Hey you know those sounds Mario makes when he jumps?

Or clears a level?

Or wins anything in a spinoff game?

Or at the end of Galaxy and the like?

It's obvious that Nintendo characters do talk, always have done.