• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should online matches include gambling?

Gambling with Pokemon! Who's with me?

• Yea!

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Nae!

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Well, which one means 'Yes'?

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitcher

This thought occurred to me last night as a way of generating high-pressure matches and attracting an older audience to the franchise. Nintendo can include a system with online matches for gamers to bet money from their Paypal accounts and perhaps earn some winnings for all the hard work they spent raising their Pokemon. If it works, gambling with Pokemon could set the ball rolling for other online games to include betting systems that would allow players to earn some revenue. I'm sure that winning $500 from defeating a team of pseudo-legendaries would be much more exciting than playing online Poker or Blackjack. Makes you wonder why no one has ever done it before...

That would be pointless for Nintendo since they're making tons of money.
And for the love of all that is good, Pokemon is supposed to be a children's game (probably).
Besides, gambling with virtual money is A-OK.

Venomfrog

Perpetual Observer
I do not think that would be good for the spirit of Pokemon. :/

In my opinion it would partly turn Pokemon into poker, and those two should only be similar in name and in the bluffs that some players give others (like with the "All I have left is a measly Raticate with Endeavor, Focus Sash and Quick Attack" players).

Also, Nintendo's ethics would likely be seriously questioned. Pokemon already has a sketchy reputation among certain groups. A lot of people love the game, and I am sure that for some the prospect of money sounds fine, but quite a few negatives can spawn from gambling. Poker is a game designed for high-risk, high-reward activities (inside and outside of the gameplay); in my opinion, Pokemon should keep the high-risk, high-reward action (suicide leads, recoil moves, etc.) solely in the gameplay.

freakyboy05

Swing the bat
I thought you meant like in brawl with the money in-game, not real money.
That wouldn't be a really good idea...

Venomfrog

Perpetual Observer
To clarify, I agree that in-game money is fine; in-game trainer battles, after all, involve exchange of money. Real transactions, though, are not what Pokemon needs.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
They're trying to phase gambling with fictional money out of their games. The Game Corner games were removed completely in some Regional releases of the Generation IV Games. You think they're going to put in a feature that'll allow people to gamble with real money? Lolno.

That's just what they need. Some Generic Angry Mother bringing a lawsuit to Nintendo because little Timmy somehow managed to rack up $20,000 in gambling losses since his poor Charizard and Mewtwo couldn't beat the mean-ol' EV Trained Pokemon that are ugly and suck in his opinion. Terrible.

Torpoleon

No. It's a game appealing to everyone, not just young adults and adults. For real money, no way! For Poke Dollars, probably. Although, it just doesn't seem like a good idea in general.

razor fire

This is a bad idea. The games would be completely removed in Europe. There is a reason why the Game Slots in the Game Corner were removed in the EU version. And that's because of gambling. If gambling were introduced in the battles then the games would have been ruined.

Tiomasta

Not amused
Real money? Hell no.

They're trying to phase gambling with fictional money out of their games. The Game Corner games were removed completely in some Regional releases of the Generation IV Games. You think they're going to put in a feature that'll allow people to gamble with real money? Lolno.

That's just what they need. Some Generic Angry Mother bringing a lawsuit to Nintendo because little Timmy somehow managed to rack up $20,000 in gambling losses since his poor Charizard and Mewtwo couldn't beat the mean-ol' EV Trained Pokemon that are ugly and suck in his opinion. Terrible.

Exactly.

Cosmar

< Aww.
Hell no. The Game Corner has already been banned in the EU, so imagine what would happen if this feature was introduced to the games. At best, EU buyers lose the ability to battle over Wi-Fi. At worst, they'd lose the ability to buy the games (unless they bought it from somewhere like eBay).

Using in-game money would be bad enough (in the eyes of the media, soccer moms, and the Videogames Are Evil brigade*), so using real money would be a definite no-no.

*Oh come on, you know some nutter would kick up a stink about it in the Daily Fail, especially since this is a kid's franchise.

GengarNightmare

To clarify, I agree that in-game money is fine; in-game trainer battles, after all, involve exchange of money. Real transactions, though, are not what Pokemon needs.
^This.

I also thought you might mean "betting pokemon on matches". But real money? That's a definate no.

Venomfrog

Perpetual Observer
To expand on my previous post, it may be best for the in-game amount to be set, like with those trainer battles. For example, 500 Poke Dollars per match.

Of course, battling without any money involved is probably best. The hypothetical 500 Poke Dollars, though, would not be a bad idea if it is optional; if both players are willing to put 500 P on the line, then let them. Never should this be done with real money though.

Dante Falls

Doppelgänger
Gambling BP would be better, I think.

Pokedollars are easier to come buy. Battling the Elite Four with an Amulet Coin, simple. BP's harder, and gets you more valuable items.

It's like the BP gambler guy in Emerald. You give him BP, win a round at the stated complex, then receive up to 30 is it, BP?

Venomfrog

Perpetual Observer
Yes, BP would be an option. However, the amount should still be preset. Things get ugly when players themselves determine what to wager.

How about this layout, where the players get a choice between the three options?

1. Battle for 500 P (unless either player cannot afford it).
2. Battle for 1-5 BP (depending on the maximum BP of the players).
3. Battle just for fun.

Maybe to make things more suitable, "Battle just for fun" should be listed first.

EDIT:

Tell me if this sounds implausible, but would it not be best if a reward was given to the winner of an online battle, but nothing taken from the loser? It is like getting 1 BP for defeating the Ace Trainer in HGSS: players, get 1 BP for winning a WiFi battle.

Last edited:

beastofbrawl

No, Nintendo couldn't pull that off for one....And too it's supposed to be a childrens' game.....Also I wouldn't do it for money...

beastofbrawl

No, Nintendo couldn't pull that off for one....And too it's supposed to be a childrens' game.....Also I wouldn't do it for money...

pastel

Viva el Reggaeton!
bad, bad, bad idea, a good idea would be betting pokemons, wich is fromm the game for the game, and would be a good spirit, and dont transform pokemon into only bussiness.

DarthVader

Your suggestion has been rejected

If it's real money, this suggestion will never happen.

If it's fake money, or even battle points, I don't really see the point. Because anyone can easily amass as much money as they like with the VS Seeker, and/or battling the Pokemon League over and over again. People would just ignore this option.

The only stake that would be worth it would be a valuable Pokemon, or a HUGE number of BPs... but I would never accept a stake when battling anyway.

SolarPowerX

It's a good thought, but I don't think it's really in the spirit of Pokemon. plus, unless nintendo finds a way to block hacked Pokemon from wifi battles, if your opponent hacks, you'd just end up losing a ton of cash.

It's been said already, but BP or fake money would be an ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.