• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should people be able to nickname transferred/traded Pokemon?

Should people be able to nickname transferred/traded Pokemon?

• Total voters

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
So today after transferring a bunch of my old Pokemon via Pokemon Transporter, I tried to nickname a few, but to no avail; for some reason Game Freak consider Pokemon sent from previous gens as traded despite the fact that they're mine. I always thought that the fact you can't nickname traded Pokemon was dumb, but this is completely absurd.

I think Game Freak should revoke this silly ruling, especially with the transferred Pokemon. What do you think?

Bluemage21

well, technically they are not at the same trainer, they are from a game you own, but the trainer is a different trainer.

I am on the fence, I can see why people would like to change nicknames, but it is nice when you have pokemon from other people who each have their own way of naming pokemon.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
well, technically they are not at the same trainer, they are from a game you own, but the trainer is a different trainer.

I am on the fence, I can see why people would like to change nicknames, but it is nice when you have pokemon from other people who each have their own way of naming pokemon.

Not really, in Black/White I am the trainer. Likewise, I am the trainer of X/Y. Sure, I may have a cart from someone else or something, but if it is my game that I, the trainer played through, then I should be able to give my pokemon nicknames.
I want to nickname my old Pokes as since I played D/P/P and R/S/E as a kid I was not creative enough to think of a cool name, but now I am so I just want to name them.

Arvis

I can understand why they don't allow you to change their nicknames after the transfer..but i still wish they would allow it. Sometimes i come with really dumb nicknames, and then years later i come up with a better name but i can't change it because it's already been transferred. Oh well, guess i just better be more careful of what nicknames i choose.

Tonguetyd

Not being able to rename traded pokemon is an useless and a ridiculous feature that should be removed ASAP.

When it comes to if GF should actually remove this gimmick from the games, I'm also on the fence about it.

I can see why they wouldn't allow you to do it, whether or not your the same trainer that's receiving the Pokemon.
Keeping the nickname is out of respect of the trainer you received the Pokemon from, pretty much.

Kalosian

So long
Definitely. I have never liked the idea of being unable to nickname Pokemon if they have a different OT/ID than the game they are on, I think that should have been removed been generations ago to make players able to nickname Pokemon independent of their OT/ID.

Bluemage21

Not really, in Black/White I am the trainer. Likewise, I am the trainer of X/Y. Sure, I may have a cart from someone else or something, but if it is my game that I, the trainer played through, then I should be able to give my pokemon nicknames.
I want to nickname my old Pokes as since I played D/P/P and R/S/E as a kid I was not creative enough to think of a cool name, but now I am so I just want to name them.

You are not the trainer, you are the player, the trainer is the PC in the game, thus when pokemon are transferred they are not with the same trainer.

You do not share the same ID number in every game, and might not even share the same name.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
You are not the trainer, you are the player, the trainer is the PC in the game, thus when pokemon are transferred they are not with the same trainer.

You do not share the same ID number in every game, and might not even share the same name.

It doesn't matter if the actual character is different in each game because let's be honest; each main playable character is the same silent-protagonist essentially. They might look different and come from different regions, but they share the same basic role. On top of this, you, the player, are the one who trains the Pokemon, not the in-game character. Ergo, the player is the trainer. If I train Pokemon in one game, and train Pokemon in another, logic dictates that since I am the trainer on both games, both games have the same trainer: me. It's a Role-playing Game, so if I play as the trainer, I take that role.

I understand how it works, though: different ID number (although my name is the same in every game) = inable to nickname. This is what I want revoked as it is silly in my opinion. Sure, one could argue that it is out of respect of the previous trainer, but this lacks validity; that trainer gave the Pokemon to me, indicating that the trainer likely did not want it. Since it is mine, I should have the ability to change it's name (especially if it is a name that completely does not fit e.g. a Rayquaza I got that was named 'He-Man'). The same argument lies with Pokemon Transporter - the Pokemon is mine, so I should have the ability to change it's name.

Ivysnake

Poison Gym Leader
Well, I would see being able to nickname Pokemon from other trainers very useful, despite whether they're yours or not. Example, if I received an awesome Dusknior (don't bug me if I spelled this wrong) and some 7-year old decided "well, I want to name it Carl!" Your stuck with a Dusknior with the pathetic name Carl. (Or a bunch of random symbols, like $CoOl$).

Unless you have to trade to evolve or a really rare item, or if they have amazing moves, and maybe the ability, you can always breed the Pokemon. Though a Dusknior named Carl is in my PC box...

Klinny

Skitty Chaser
I understand the reasoning behind the restriction, but I find it makes trading awkward. I don't like to use Pokemon that aren't nicknamed, but a lot of people don't like nicknames at all. So I have to make sure anything I'm planning to trade doesn't have a nickname, argh! (And I hate having to ask people to nickname a Pokemon before they trade it to me!)

I would really like it if, at the very least, they let you re-name Pokemon that were deemed to have unacceptable nicknames by Poke Bank. I had a Huntail and Gorebyss pair which I had nicknamed "Suicide" and "Redemption" after the Metallica song. Now it's "Huntail and Redemption." Doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Sigh.

bidoofdude

Legendary Trainer
I don't like it. Got a Latios from my GTS offering and it's nick name was "Ha Yah". Not too much of a problem, as it'll just sit with all the others in the PC, but it would be nice to change it.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
Well, I would see being able to nickname Pokemon from other trainers very useful, despite whether they're yours or not. Example, if I received an awesome Dusknior (don't bug me if I spelled this wrong) and some 7-year old decided "well, I want to name it Carl!" Your stuck with a Dusknior with the pathetic name Carl. (Or a bunch of random symbols, like $CoOl$).

Unless you have to trade to evolve or a really rare item, or if they have amazing moves, and maybe the ability, you can always breed the Pokemon. Though a Dusknior named Carl is in my PC box...

Hahaha, I really hate the nicknames some people give Pokemon. Over time i have gotten an Infernape named 'Bob', a Honedge named Philip that was FEMALE, and, my personal favourite, a Skitty named 'Leg'. Yes, LEG was it's nickname.

I think they should remove the rule.
I am not particularly fond of nicknames and prefer to have pokemon without nicknames. When I get a traded pokemon with a nickname it annoys me some, especially if it isn't a nickname at all , but say just the pokemon's name in Japanese letters.
The pokémon already carries traits from its former owner within the OT and ID number, so it's still special.

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
Yes. People can rename pets they got from someone else in the real world. Same should apply to Pokemon. I would have really liked to rename my Adamant Speed Boost Torchic.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I never nickname my Pokémon, as I prefer calling them by their actual names.

But I completely agree that it is stupid that you aren't allowed to nickname Pokémon you didn't catch in the game you're playing in. I can't think of any good reason for that.

Zivinolette

Livin' The Dream
I love the nickname concept of not being able to change the nickname of a Pokemon from someone else because I see it as a part of them, the trainer, that remains with that Pokemon once traded or bounced around from trainer to trainer.

HOWEVER, at the same time it's frustrating because the Pokemon is now your own and you can't change the name to fit your style if you're not fond of the name given. Also you get those people who put ridiculous nicknames on the Pokemon that are just silly or at time inappropriate but nothing can be done.

So I guess I am torn between the two, I see both the benefits and the downsides