• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Pkmn Games be harder?

gliscor&yanmega

I've heard of join avenue. Sounds like something almost nobody would use.

Except for all those people who EV train and among other things that Join Avenue is useful for, such as egg hatching. So nope, lots will defiantly be using it.

!jirachi!

3/4 dead...
i like those new funcions on b/w2 where you can chose how hard the gyms are

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
And that key function of challenge mode is DEFINITELY a must for pokemon Aces and veterans. I myself can be quite an ace with a bit of veteran after playing this series for 10 years (Started at 2002 with the hoenn versions. Hey, at least i played Kanto's GBA and Johto's DS Versions too)

gliscor&yanmega

And that key function of challenge mode is DEFINITELY a must for pokemon Aces and veterans. I myself can be quite an ace with a bit of veteran after playing this series for 10 years (Started at 2002 with the hoenn versions. Hey, at least i played Kanto's GBA and Johto's DS Versions too)

Not really. I've been playing from the start and can still have a tough time with the games. I've had a tough time on Normal Mode since I was under-leveled most of the time, plus I tried to not use more Pokemon then my opponent, or rely completely on type advantage, or heal my Pokemon whenever it was about to faint, or revive my Pokemon when it fainted, I suppose for the most part, I had a tough time since I didn't make it easy for myself, which I think it the problem most people have, they don't know how to not make it easy for them.

One thing I would like them to add to the games in the future is an option to use the same amount of Pokemon as your opponent. It's easy enough to do during a gym battle but most trainer battles are difficult to do that. Plus I do come to situations where I end up using more Pokemon then the opponent and it annoys me. Just having the option where before your battle you select a certain amount of Pokemon on you that equals the same amount as your opponent, then you battle with those and only those, if they all faint you go to the Pokemon center, and like I said, it would be an option(Like the Shift and Set option), so those who don't want to do that can just keep the option on whatever they'd call it.

SolidWolverine

I think the gyms and especially the pokemon league is challenging enough during the first playthrough. But I wouldn't mind the average trainers on the routes being a little tougher, in terms of pokemon choice and movesets

Spudnugget1

who wants to sing
As in Omega from every Final Fantasy game since V? That sort of difficulty level?

That's insane. I think the games are easy, but cranking up the difficulty and grind-requirements to levels of that proportion would not only make Let's Plays of the games twice as unnecessary, but also impossible.

The games need more balance, in other words, less ways to be broken. That's the gist of it.

Last edited:

-Nator-

As in Omega from every Final Fantasy game since V? That sort of difficulty level?

That's insane. I think the games are easy, but cranking up the difficulty and grind-requirements to levels of that proportion would not only make Let's Plays of the games twice as unnecessary, but also impossible.

The games need more balance, in other words, less ways to be broken. That's the gist of it.

Maybe not quite in that category of difficulty.
FireRed Omega is a ROM hack of Pokemon FireRed. You need to download an emulator to play it (as one might have guessed).

Dynamo_Blitzle

Champions League ★
Much like Gran Turismo games, Pokemon games are as hard as you make them, really. If you want a challenge then you know you should use under-levelled pokemon. It may be under-compensating for GF's faults but it still means that you have the freedom to make the game harder.

-Nator-

Much like Gran Turismo games, Pokemon games are as hard as you make them, really. If you want a challenge then you know you should use under-levelled pokemon. It may be under-compensating for GF's faults but it still means that you have the freedom to make the game harder.

Yes, but the fact that the option of making the game a lot easier being accessible might make one take advantage of it if they become too frustrated with their self-made challenge.
I prefer challenges where the player is forced to overcome an obstacle without any shortcuts being available, but that's just me.

gliscor&yanmega

I think the gyms and especially the pokemon league is challenging enough during the first playthrough. But I wouldn't mind the average trainers on the routes being a little tougher, in terms of pokemon choice and movesets

I don't really recall the difficultly for the trainers in the past, but in Black 2/White 2 I found they were more difficult for me this time around, I believe there was usually a few trainers on every route/cave/whatever that gave me some trouble, in the end, I ended up using more Pokemon then my opponent did. You also have certain trainer classes that have higher AIs overall, Ace trainers and Veterans for example, I get the feeling Rangers probably have higher AI too(Maybe not as high as the other two, but higher then most others), and you can find them in a lot of places really.

SolidWolverine

I don't really recall the difficultly for the trainers in the past, but in Black 2/White 2 I found they were more difficult for me this time around, I believe there was usually a few trainers on every route/cave/whatever that gave me some trouble, in the end, I ended up using more Pokemon then my opponent did. You also have certain trainer classes that have higher AIs overall, Ace trainers and Veterans for example, I get the feeling Rangers probably have higher AI too(Maybe not as high as the other two, but higher then most others), and you can find them in a lot of places really.

Sounds like they stepped their game up a little bit, nice. Now I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of BW2. I still have this feeling though, that somehow,somewhere, there is a fisherman with all Magikarp lol

gliscor&yanmega

Sounds like they stepped their game up a little bit, nice. Now I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of BW2. I still have this feeling though, that somehow,somewhere, there is a fisherman with all Magikarp lol

Magikarp isn't in the Unova Dex, so there wont be unless it's post game, and looking it up, it seems there is one. Clearly not put in for an intended challenge or anything, they probably do it for another reason, to give the players a laugh or something. There has been one in every game(Some only have three/four apposed to six, but there is still at less one of them in every game that only uses Magikarp). It'll probably always be the case.

SolidWolverine

Magikarp isn't in the Unova Dex, so there wont be unless it's post game, and looking it up, it seems there is one. Clearly not put in for an intended challenge or anything, they probably do it for another reason, to give the players a laugh or something. There has been one in every game(Some only have three/four apposed to six, but there is still at less one of them in every game that only uses Magikarp). It'll probably always be the case.

Right, ever since Blue and Red there has always been a magikarp trainer. I think it's sort of a running joke between the game developers in a sense. I find it a bit funny myself. I do remember one time though when I used the vs seeker on a magikarp fisherman and he had all high level Gyarados; talk about surprises

PokeMaster366

And then when you consider the addition of Challenge Mode (Great job on screwing up its availability, Nintendo), the game suddenly gets so much harder. I'm playing through Black 2 right now so that I can transfer Challenge Mode over to White 2 when I get it on Thanksgiving.

Snow Spade

Dark Ghost Type
I noticed BW2 is a little more hard. :) Interesting!
Mystery Dungeon also put me in trouble,I remember the Desert Area in MD Darkness/Time/Sky just took me 7 or 8 attempts to finish it! >.<
And I read Red's Pokèmon have perfects IVs.