• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Pkmn Games be harder?

Snow Spade

Dark Ghost Type
Difficulty selection would be awesome

For me:
EASY: Starter lv 5. Elite Four lv. 40-45. Champion lv. 50-55. Villain Head lv. 45-50.
NORMAL: Starter lv.3. Elite Four lv. 55-60. Champion lv. 65-70. Villain Head lv.60-65.
HARD: Starter lv.1. Elite Four lv. 70-75. Champion lv. 80-85. Villain Head lv.75-80 (Stolen items).

Fabulous Ampharos

Pokemon Breeder :3
For me:
EASY: Starter lv 5. Elite Four lv. 40-45. Champion lv. 50-55. Villain Head lv. 45-50.
NORMAL: Starter lv.3. Elite Four lv. 55-60. Champion lv. 65-70. Villain Head lv.60-65.
HARD: Starter lv.1. Elite Four lv. 70-75. Champion lv. 80-85. Villain Head lv.75-80 (Stolen items).

Nice thinking there.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Yeah, I think that leveling up the opponents' Pokemon would probably be the most practical way to make them harder with the current status quo.

UNLESS...

If they were to change the EV system to something more akin to what Disgaea has, where you could reincarnate Pokemon to gain more EVs (it would probably be related to Breeding in the Pokemon games). Then, they could make the opponents as difficult as they wanted to. There would be a universal cap (probably like 1980 EVs per stat or something).

If you REALLY wanted to go over the top, you could eliminate the level cap and make the cap 9999 like in Disgaea.

Of course doing the latter would require significant changes to the gameplay. And the metagame would be a whole new ballgame with this kind of mechanic. But it would also add hundreds of hours of replay value, and allow opponents to go far beyond what is normally the highest level they end up at (think, level 2500 Legendary Pokemon encounters).

Last edited:

Kalytera

Team Synergist
They should have more mixed teams with better AI strats =S. Especially for the league+, having a bunch for lvl 42-45s sweep 50-55s without using items is kind of sad =[. On a more awesome note Ive seen someone beat the entire pokemon yellow game with a 6 lvl18 pokemon!

Nidhi764

No one shall........
The games are pretty short. Game Freak should make them longer.

Necro101

I think they should just make the trainers harder by making their pokemon stronger. Nothin more complicated.

RAWK ON

randomspot555

The game goes on as long as you want it to be. If you don't want to play anymore, go play something else. That's what most video gamers do. Even the most hardcore of fans get burned out after a while.

gliscor&yanmega

Care to explain how the games are "pretty short". Because for things that have a large supply of things to do for a long period of time, it seems fairly long.

gliscor&yanmega

I think they should just give the A.I better strategies, and stuff, like the one's that are on the Battle Subway.

Can't people just battle those in the Battle Subway instead of making the entire game the same difficult level making it worse for those who don't want a stressful game. Gym Leaders and that got the same treatment thanks to World Tournament too so you can battle them with high AI and whatnot now as well.

Aurath8

For me:

That's far too drastic, especially with starter levels. No-one will be able to proceed if their starter can't beat even the weakest of wild pokemon. E4 levels are also too high in hard mode, if that's the first run of the E4.

I think they should just give the A.I better strategies, and stuff, like the one's that are on the Battle Subway.

It's not so much to do with the A.I, but more the complex movesets they use. Normal trainers almost exclusively use level-up movesets, which are mostly pretty awful. The only exceptions are story important characters like gym leaders, the rival the evil team as well as a few veterans.

To combat this, I think every route should have one trainer who is marginally stronger than other trainers, with better AI, moves and pokemon. There's a lot of creativity to be had here. Maybe Route 2 with trainers has a trainer with a pokemon that knows Work Up. Maybe Route 3 ends with someone using a Ghost type. Route 7 could have a Wobbuffet. By Victory Road we could have a veteran with a Blissey, Ferrothorn and Slowking in a Triple/Rotation battle spreading Toxic and Leech Seed or throwing off Gyro Balls and Hydro Pumps all over the place. One problem I seem to be facing is that I never find myself in trouble while exploring the overworld, and this should solve it.

To combat this, I think every route should have one trainer who is marginally stronger than other trainers, with better AI, moves and pokemon. There's a lot of creativity to be had here. Maybe Route 2 with trainers has a trainer with a pokemon that knows Work Up. Maybe Route 3 ends with someone using a Ghost type. Route 7 could have a Wobbuffet. By Victory Road we could have a veteran with a Blissey, Ferrothorn and Slowking in a Triple/Rotation battle spreading Toxic and Leech Seed or throwing off Gyro Balls and Hydro Pumps all over the place. One problem I seem to be facing is that I never find myself in trouble while exploring the overworld, and this should solve it.

This is fantastic ^^

Haxy

legendary spooky silke
Not going to happen. It might be interesting to see, but in the end, the entire game mechanics can get messed up hard. It's more important for a game to be balanced, not harder - you do not want to have an unwinable game, considering the target audience.

Draco.

Dragon Master.
well, in my opinion they should be way longer and way more harder than they are for now

Aurath8

Not going to happen. It might be interesting to see, but in the end, the entire game mechanics can get messed up hard. It's more important for a game to be balanced, not harder - you do not want to have an unwinable game, considering the target audience.

They'd really have to mess up to make the game too hard. Pretty much any obstacle in pokemon games can be got around by grinding, and even if you are on the same level, the power of type advantage alone is easily enough to beat almost any pokemon. Basically, it's really easy, to make the game easy.

They'd really have to mess up to make the game too hard. Pretty much any obstacle in pokemon games can be got around by grinding, and even if you are on the same level, the power of type advantage alone is easily enough to beat almost any pokemon. Basically, it's really easy, to make the game easy.

Yes but what you just said typically doesn't happen to everyone you know.

destinydude000

The Awesome Dude
They should be!!
For example the " regi "s in S/R/E, it's badass!!
I haven't played emerald yet, but when I finally get it, I'm going to solve the way to the regis (( the braile thing )) all by myself, for example by using wikipedia or something to getthe braile alphabet, something like this.
But the other thing I noticed about pokemon games getting easier is that dialga's ((the mascot))catch rate in D/P/P is 30, while azelf, uxie and mesprit's catch rate are 3.
While another mascot in the previous game, rayquaza. Now, rayquaza's catch rate is 3, while the other non-mascot pokemon, the regis(( considering as a substitute of uxie, azelf,...)) have a capture of 3.