• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Pokedex entries really be taken seriously?

WaterTypeStarter

When they often contradict the games? For example, Dugtrio was said back in the Kanto games to be a team of triplets when it really is the evolution of a single Diglett (how can an individual Diglett evolve into a trio of triplets)? Weezing was described as two Koffing fusing together for years when it is the evolution of a single Koffing (how did that Koffing somehow turn into two Koffing fused)? Slowbro and Slowking according to the Pokedex are the result of a Slowpoke getting bitten by a Shellder when any Slowpoke will become a Slowbro at the right level or a Slowking when traded with the right item (with no Shellder being involved in any way). There are many others that contradict the games logic. Should they really be taken seriously?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The whole thing with Slowking is that its mentioned in G/S/C/HG/SS that a Shellder will sometimes bite Slowking's head if it carries that item.

Morax

King of heroes
When they often contradict the games? For example, Dugtrio was said back in the Kanto games to be a team of triplets when it really is the evolution of a single Diglett (how can an individual Diglett evolve into a trio of triplets)? Weezing was described as two Koffing fusing together for years when it is the evolution of a single Koffing (how did that Koffing somehow turn into two Koffing fused)? Slowbro and Slowking according to the Pokedex are the result of a Slowpoke getting bitten by a Shellder when any Slowpoke will become a Slowbro at the right level or a Slowking when traded with the right item (with no Shellder being involved in any way). There are many others that contradict the games logic. Should they really be taken seriously?

images

Akashin

I mean, when the question pertains to what a Pokemon is, I'd sooner go with lore over game mechanics. Slowpoke evolving with or without a Shellder present is because it's simpler from a mechanics perspective (though they did eventually realize this approximate concept later on with Mantyke and Remoraid).

A more direct example would be Type: Null and Silvally. Game mechanics would suggest that Silvally is an evolution, but lore tells us that Silvally is the true form of Type: Null after removing its helmet; evolution via Friendship was simply the most mechanic-friendly means of conveying this.

WaterTypeStarter

I mean, when the question pertains to what a Pokemon is, I'd sooner go with lore over game mechanics. Slowpoke evolving with or without a Shellder present is because it's simpler from a mechanics perspective (though they did eventually realize this approximate concept later on with Mantyke and Remoraid).

A more direct example would be Type: Null and Silvally. Game mechanics would suggest that Silvally is an evolution, but lore tells us that Silvally is the true form of Type: Null after removing its helmet; evolution via Friendship was simply the most mechanic-friendly means of conveying this.
Still goes against suspension of disbelief for lore to say one thing when the game shows something different.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
If you take Magcargo's Pokedex entries literally, everything within several miles of it should instantly be incinerated and it should melt its way to the core of the Earth fairly rapidly. Every Larvitar eats an entire mountain, so there goes every mountain range in the world after just a couple generations. Shedinja steals your soul if you look into its back... and guess what you're looking at every time you send it out in battle.

In other words, no. Some Pokedex entries are ridiculous and logically irreconcilable with anything resembling reality. I can suspend some belief but not to the point where I can accept little rock dinosaurs that consume entire mountains or lava snails as hot as the surface of the sun having little effect their immediate environment.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The whole thread could be summarized by saying "Pokemon logic".

Leonhart

Imagineer
Obviously not. Too many of them are inconsistent with video game logic, and even the anime doesn't always adhere to the Zukan (Pokedex) entries.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Obviously not. Too many of them are inconsistent with video game logic, and even the anime doesn't always adhere to the Zukan (Pokedex) entries.
Video game logic is an oxymoron, but putting that aside, the logic behind Pokemon games goes all over the place.
For example, how do Cubone/Marowak produce enough offspring to replinish their population if the mother dies after one birth?
This is not only in the Pokedex, but entertained in the Pokemon Tower story, with it being even more obvious in Let's Go.

Where do Kangaskhan get their children if the hatched from eggs, how does Tauros maintain a population at all if there is no Ditto nearby?

The anime itself is a separate issue, and contradicts the already establish game lore entirely at certain points.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Well, considering that Blaziken can apparently jump over the world's tallest building in one go, Ponyta can jump over a certain Australian landmark in one leap and even just taking a tiny peek at what's under Mimikyu's rag will result in a horrifying death, it's probably safe to say that the Pokédex should be taken with a pinch of salt. A common headcanon in the fandom is that, at least in Gens 7 and 8, it's the result of Rotom playing tricks on you, which could be possible given that it's partially a Ghost type.

The anime itself is a separate issue, and contradicts the already establish game lore entirely at certain points.

In the episode which showed how Slowpoke evolved into Slowbro, a professor (not Oak) admitted that he basically exaggerated the Dex entries. Like you said, however, the anime canon is completely different from the game canon.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Magcargo has frightening potential. It's a good thing that many pokemons have seem to have natural limiters (similar to adrenaline limiters.) so they never use their full potential by accident.
If several Magcargo's just suddenly flared up to be hotter than a sun.
Then the pokemon version of earth would easily burn all the way to the core and 'ka-boom* the planet has been destroyed from a heat related explosion.

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

Nope they're mostly just cute flavour text to make Pokemon seem more interesting but since their Dex entries are usually ignored ingame they're basically pointless in a sense.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I think it's a mixed bag. Some are definitely exaggerated like Tyranitar's Pokedex entries. I highly doubt it can destroy mountains and bury rivers. Some are definitely exaggerated to make then sound more menacing than they really are. So, those types of Pokedex entries I would never take seriously.

There are some I do find believable, though, like Bulbasaur and Charmander's. Those, I would take seriously. There are some that do seem realistic and aren't exaggerated, so for me, personally, it depends on the Pokemon. The more powerful the Pokemon, though, the more ridiculous the entry seems.