• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Pokemon eventually get 4 or 5 stages of Evolution?

Ditto B1tch

A bunch of reasons why they will not add a 4th stage in evolution lines:

1) A standard since Gen I is 3 stages.

2) Stats issues. Some Pokemon would get overpowered.

3) This is one of the basic differences between Pokemon and Digimon.

4) Apperance issues. Some Pokemons cannot become more adult-like as they already are.

5) Because of number #2, legendaries would become less attractive.

6) Reaching the final stage would require more time because of collecting experience and high level.

Above all, number #1 is enough. Nuff said.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
I think that it won't be made, but I would want a 4th evo. Come on you guys, you excpect Raichu to never get a 4th evo? Like, Professor Willow discovers it in the 12th gen? LOL. Anyway, here are some Pokes that need a 4th Evo.

- Raichu
- Roserade
- Dragonite
- Leavanny
- Pidgeott
- Walrein (oh yeah!)
- Starters (never happen but would be cool.Don't want this, just wanna see what theywould be. Ya' know?)

Yerp.

Cressy

I think that it won't be made, but I would want a 4th evo. Come on you guys, you excpect Raichu to never get a 4th evo? Like, Professor Willow discovers it in the 12th gen? LOL. Anyway, here are some Pokes that need a 4th Evo.

- Raichu
- Roserade
- Dragonite
- Leavanny
- Pidgeott
- Walrein (oh yeah!)
- Starters (never happen but would be cool.Don't want this, just wanna see what theywould be. Ya' know?)

Yerp.

Dragonite doesnt need a 4th evo o_O

We are talking about GameFreak here.Plus, what would happen to the RU,UU,NU tier if that happens.Adding 4th evolutions, would only cause Pokemon to crowd the OU tier.Adding a 4th evolution would also cause many Pokemon to evolve late.Yes, I do agree that many things can be implemented to make the game better but by adding 4th evolution it would not work.We are 6 gen in Pokemon and adding that drastic change would be like changing the type chart completely.

Those tiers are fan-made.
GameFreak doesn't give two craps about Smogon.

I say that a 4th evolution is a grand idea for SOME Pokemon, and we all know that only SOME Pokemon would receive one.

Jeebus people.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination

- Raichu
- Roserade
- Dragonite
- Leavanny
- Pidgeott
- Walrein (oh yeah!)

Yerp.

Except none of them need a 4th stage/3rd evolution .

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Except none of them need a 4th stage/3rd evolution .
?

Uhh... It's entirely opinion, so.

Zecaomes

Hey Scotty,Jesus Man
There's not really need to a 4th evolution. I mean, 3 is a great number. With 3 stages you can make a small/weak one, a kinda strong/medium-sized one and a strong/big one. A fourth evolution would turn all this upside down, and no current 3-stage evolution Pokémon needs a new evolution

Luthor

i'd have to say that ftm i don't think there will be any 4th evolution for quite a while if ever.The reason i don't think there will be one is that one of the purposes of many additional cross gen evolution is to have some conection to previous gens.Given that there is so many preevos that could still occur it seems unlikely to me that they'll add a 4th evo to any existing pokemon given that even from the first gen there are still several pokemon they could give pre-evolutions to such as tauros,doduo,slowpoke,scyther,and onix and a few pokemon who could get evos.A 4th evo seems too drastic a change when there are easier options. i suppose it's possibile they might in the future but i think it's a long way off.

Stats and technical stuff aside I'd love to see a 4th evolution of the 3 gen 1 starters just out of weird curiosity. I KNOW, thousands of reasons why it wouldn't happen and can't I'm just saying that would be damn interesting.

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer

4) Apperance issues. Some Pokemons cannot become more adult-like as they already are.

6) Reaching the final stage would require more time because of collecting experience and high level.

1) So...? Changes to the standards of the games so far can happen and have happened before. Example - Victini being first in Pokédex out of all Unova Pokémon instead of the grass-type starter. Just because something is a standard so far doesn't mean it can't change or be altered at all.

2 and 4) As the OP stated, not ALL Pokémon would get a 4th stage. Pokémon such as Dragonite or Conkeldurr which fit the "too overpowered/adult looking" criteria of yours, would be extremely unlikely to get 4th stage evolutions, yet weaker Pokémon, such as the OP's example of Beedrill, could easily get a 4th stage and not be too overpowered. This also counters point 5.

3)I'm pretty sure "being slightly more like Digimon" is the least of GameFreak's concerns, especially since there is much more than more evolutions seperating the two series.

6) Again, it would depend on the Pokémon. Some Pokémon such as Volcarona and Dragonite already evolve at a high level and therefore require more time to train and evolve. And, as with points 2 and 4 these Pokémon would also be very unlikely to get more evolutions. Using the example of Beedrill again - Kakuna evolves into Beedrill at level 10. This makes it very plausible that if 4th stages were to be added, Beedrill could get a 4th stage, and it could reach that stage at a lower level than some Pokémon reach their 3rd or even 2nd stages.

All in all, your points seem reliant on assumptions that
A) GameFreak won't alter something just because so far it's standard
B) Already-powerful Pokémon would get a 4th stage and become overpowered if this was implemented

---

However, having said all of this, I personally wouldn't like to see this feature implemented. I think a limit of three stages per evolution family is enough. It could happen, though.

CAH

Calm And Hyper
Argue with me about that all you want, but that doesn't mean it wasn't just plain rude.

You know, it's possible to be civil on the internet. Most people just refuse to accept that.
I wasn't arguing that pokemon were based on the human life cycle, I was arguing that pokemon often appear to mature as they evolve, which means that assuming that it was based on the human life cycle actually wasn't as dumb as you were making it out to be.

You may have taken it to be rude due to your misunderstanding of how it was worded, but to be honest I don't actually care. If people are that sensitive they shouldn't be on the internet at all.

Maturity doesn't necessarily mean it's based on the human life cycle. I've already given tonnes of examples that contradict this theory. Mageton does not look more mature, it's just two extra magnets. Size and power is not always to do with maturity. The fact is, evolution is a metamorphisis, not aging. And the real argument here, is that the human life cycle does not limit this idea in ANY way, as shown in previous posts.

Similar to the transition between Scyther and Scizor, the main argument I see for a fourth-stage Pokemon in a line whose third stage is already very powerful is that they would have their base stats distributed differently rather than increased to fit the more mature Pokemon. However, Scyther and Scizor are the sole exception to the norm. In pretty much every other transition from a lower-stage to a higher-stage Pokemon, a Pokemon's base stat total increases.

Because Scyther and Scizor are an exception, it should not be used as the sole example of what a transition between the third and fourth stages of a Pokemon should be. It doesn't make sense that the transitions between the first and second and second and third stages of a Pokemon yield base stat increases, yet the transition between the third and fourth yield only base stat redistribution. This seemingly random inconsistency between the third and fourth stages of an evolutionary line says something about the third stage: specifically, it says that the third stage is already good enough for these evolutionary lines.

In other words, if the vast majority of evolution from one Pokemon to another involves the growth of base stat totals, then it should be the same for the evolution between the third stage and the fourth stage, no matter how powerful the third stage already is.

But at the same time, by giving only Pokemon like Wigglytuff and Jumpluff a fourth stage, the fourth stage would exist solely to make them better; the fourth stage would be done out of pity rather than for legitimate design purposes. And the three or four generations after they were introduced show that Pokemon like Wigglytuff and Jumpluff are perfectly fine with just three stages in their evolutionary line.

Scyther and Scizor is proof that the idea is POSSIBLE. It proves that there is no standard that MUST be folowed. GameFreak can change things when and if they please. Furthermore there are other Pokemon, e.g. Porygon 2 and Porygon Z in which the stats increase only a little but are redistrubuted into different areas giving them different purposes. It's very narrow minded to think that drastically increasing stats is the ONLY way to implement this idea.

No. In many cases the third stage is still weak, and therefore it would be beneficial to give it a fourth stage. In fact, even using the logic of everyone here that "omg evolution can only be done by increasing stats", SOME Pokemon wouldn't even become overpowered this way e.g. Beedrill. Your mind clearly isn't open to the idea of change if you think that everything in life must keep to the standard it has already been.

Your argument that "In other words, if the vast majority of evolution from one Pokemon to another involves the growth of base stat totals, then it should be the same for the evolution between the third stage and the fourth stage, no matter how powerful the third stage already is." is flawed, because you're suggesting that a Pokemon would HAVE to be overpowered just because in many cases evolution increases base stats drastically. Like I've mentioned A THOUSAND times, there are other ways to maintain the balance of the game. You just can't seem to grasp these concepts.

1. Standards are constantly broken. The standard until the fourth gen was the fire was always special. After the special/physical split this standard was broken. Using your logic, no change should ever be implemented ever, because it would be different to what was there originally. This kind of logic is stupid and greatly reduces the scope of potential improvements that the games could ever have.

2. Already countered SO many times, but it's clear people have trouble reading. STATS IS NOT THE ONLY WAY TO EVOLVE A POKEMON. IT IS POSSIBLE TO STAY BALANCED. And in some cases, increasing stats would simply make them DECENT not overpowered. E.g. Beedrill. Seriously, it's amazing I have to spell this out like this.

3. Already countered again. See previous posts on why this would in NO way make Pokemon to similar to Digimon.

4. Again, already countered. Piloswine, Electabuzz and Magmar are proof that you can easily add to an already adult looking Pokemon.

5. Already countered. Making more Pokemon useable would have no affect on legendaries. The only way legendaries would become redundant is by applying your retarded logic that a 4th evolution MUST make a pokemon overpowered. Luckily your view is just a misunderstanding of how this idea could work.

6. Already countered. There are other ways than levelling up to evolve a Pokemon, and Diamond and Pearl proved this when adding new evolutions. In fact, no new evolution has been SOLELY by levelling.

You entire post is proof that you're: A) unable to read and comprehend other posts before deciding to post your own opinion B) You enjoy repeating the same things rather than actually countering someone directly.

Unless you can bring something new to the table, there's really no point in you repeating the same things OVER and OVER. It leads to circular arguments, seeing as I then have to direct you to what has already been said that counters your points.

There's not really need to a 4th evolution. I mean, 3 is a great number. With 3 stages you can make a small/weak one, a kinda strong/medium-sized one and a strong/big one. A fourth evolution would turn all this upside down, and no current 3-stage evolution Pokémon needs a new evolution

That's a really flimsy argument. Your way of thinking is really black and white if you think that three is that only number of stages that would work. And I can name loads of Pokemon that could benefit from a fourth evolution, many of which have been mentioned e.g. Beedrill, Wigglytuff, Dustox, even Exploud.

Uh, no, it is not. No Pokémon needs a 4th evolutionary stage and I believe the reasons were already listed in the four pages of this thread.
LOL wow. You seem to have misinterpreted your opinion as a fact. There are plenty of Pokemon that could do with a 4th evolutionary stage, and I haven't seen ANY good reason as to why not that hasn't already been countered multiple times. If you're so sure, bring up one of these so called reasons, and for all our sakes make sure it's one that hasn't already been countered, because it's tiring having to repeat things to people who don't read.

Yami_Wheeler

Stay forever young.
To all of the people who are assuming that a 4th evolution has to make every Pokémon who undergoes it overpowered, let's take a look at this in practice.

Beedril has the following base stats.

HP: 65
Atk: 80
Def: 40
SpA: 45
SpD: 80
Spe: 75

Base stat total: 385

All of them are subpar by anyone's standards, but for a stage 3 Pokémon? They're awful. A base stat total of 385 is lower than even Wartortle, a 2nd stage Pokémon that sits at a BST of 405. After evolving into Blastoise (a Pokémon who is average, but useable), it gets a BST of 530. Let's say that the 4th stage is not focused on increasing base stats as drastically as other stages. Let's see how Beedril could be improved using this method without becoming overpowered.

BEEDRILL
Poison/Bug --> Dark/Bug

HP: 65 --> HP: 95
Atk: 80 --> Atk: 120
Def: 40 --> Def: 70
SpA: 45 --> SpA: 30
SpD: 80 --> SpD: 80
Spe: 75 --> Spe: 90
BST: 385 --> BST: 485

After gaining a new Type, it now has a chance against Psychic types, who could previously OHKO it easily due to poor defenses and redundant Poison typing.

Beedril previously had access to several support moves including Toxic Spikes and Knock Off. Now, with its increased bulk, it can use those more effectively.

Its Special Attack has been reduced, as it has a virtually non-existant special movepool, and its Attack and Speed have been increased to give it more potency as a sweeper.

This is all done without overpowering it, as it only has 1 stat above base 100, yet it increases its overall usefulness tenfold, without even taking into consideration the benefits of extra movepool and new abilities brought on by a 4th stage.

In summary, not every Pokémon needs a 4th stage, but some could definitely make good use of them.

Last edited:

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
I used to think that legendary pokémon are 4th evolutions.

Just like how the human's evolved.
Some Animal -> Ape -> Human -> Gods

So no no... 4th evolution not here.

Yami_Wheeler

Stay forever young.
I used to think that legendary pokémon are 4th evolutions.

Just like how the human's evolved.
Some Animal -> Ape -> Human -> Gods

So no no... 4th evolution not here.

... Are you trying to imply that humans are destined to evolve into Gods?

... I don't even...

CAH

Calm And Hyper
To all of the people who are assuming that a 4th evolution has to make every Pokemon who undergoes it overpowered, let's take a look at this in practice.

Beedril has the following base stats.

HP: 65
Atk: 80
Def: 40
SpA: 45
SpD: 80
Spe: 75

Base stat total: 385

All of them are subpar by anyone's standards, but for a stage 3 Pokemon? They're awful. A base stat total of 385 is lower than even Wartortle, a 2nd stage Pokemon that sits at a BST of 405. After evolving into Blastoise (a Pokemon who is average, but useable), it gets a BST of 530. Let's say that the 4th stage is not focused on increasing base stats as drastically as other stages. Let's see how Beedril could be improved using this method without becoming overpowered.

BEEDRILL
Poison/Bug --> Dark/Bug

HP: 65 --> HP: 95
Atk: 80 --> Atk: 110
Def: 40 --> Def: 70
SpA: 45 --> SpA: 30
SpD: 80 --> SpD: 80
Spe: 75 --> Spe: 90
BST: 305 --> BST: 485

Its BST in total does not increase that much, only by 100, but after gaining a new Type, it now has a chance against Psychic types, who could previously OHKO it easily due to poor defenses and redundant Poison typing.

Beedril previously had access to several support moves including Toxic Spikes and Knock Off. Now, with its increased bulk, it can use those more effectively.

Its Special Attack has been reduced, as it has a virtually non-existant special movepool, and its Attack and Speed have been increased to give it more potency as a sweeper.

This is all done without overpowering it, as it only has 1 stat above base 100. This could even be considered underpowering it, yet it increases its overall useful tenfold, without even taking into consideration the benefits of extra movepool and new abilities.

In summary, not every Pokemon needs a 4th stage, but some could definitely make good use of them.

OMG Yami wheeler, deres no way ur idea wud work!

FIRSTLY deres neva been a dark and bug type before and that would break the standard which can neva be broken!

SECONDLY dat wud make it too much lyk Digimon, because digimon has lots of evil digimon, and dat wud add to da numba of dark pokemon.

and LASTLY evolution is cleary based on the human life cycle, and an insect doesn't fit in with this.

Seriously, why can nobody understand dese views!

No, but seriously. This is proof that it really isn't THAT hard to make this concept work. Anyone that thinks otherwise is clearly too narrow minded and generic in their way of thinking. Like i said, fair enough if some people don't LIKE the idea, but it could cleary WORK regardless of personal preference

Last edited:

Yami_Wheeler

Stay forever young.
OMG Yami wheeler, deres no way ur idea wud work!

FIRSTLY deres neva been a dark and bug type before and that would break the standard which can neva be broken!

SECONDLY dat wud make it too much lyk Digimon, because digimon has lots of evil digimon, and dat wud add to da numba of dark pokemon.

and LASTLY evolution is cleary based on the human life cycle, and an insect doesn't fit in with this.

Seriously, why can nobody understand dese views!

ROFL.

I hope people see this and realize how dumb they sound.

VaironGod

Dunsparce>Arceus
I think the ability to evolve twice is perfect.

Although I do think that maybe some Pokemon with Baby forms deserve a 4th form.

Pokemon such as Raichu, Wigglytuff, and Clefable who have pretty low base stat totals at their final forms because they technically have the power of a Pokemon that evolves once.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
... Are you trying to imply that humans are destined to evolve into Gods?

... I don't even...

I believe that the more the humans evolve, the more abilitys they get. Example: Moving things with their mind.