• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Pokemon have more Death Refereneces?

I think the anime should have more death to make it dramatic. Like the First movie when Ash died, it is one of my favourite scenes (I mean the drama, not him dying).

Antiyonder

Overlord
If it's handled well and for the sake of a good story, sure thing. If it's being added so that fans can brag about how mature it is, no. Death and plenty of other subject matters being incorporated into a story doesn't always equal maturity or good quality.

It's ironic that death is a more frequent occurrence in Disney that in Pokemon concidering America has a habit of censoring death in anime.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
When I first made this thread maybe I should of called it should Pokemon have IN GAME deaths. That's when characters actually die in game as opposed to just being referenced.

Profesco

gone gently
When I first made this thread maybe I should of called it should Pokemon have IN GAME deaths. That's when characters actually die in game as opposed to just being referenced.

I don't think that's necessary in the slightest, and in fact I doubt it's a good idea at all.

Pokemon has been doing fine as entertainment for over 10 years now, and references to death or actual in-game deaths have been at an age-appropriate minimum. This game is not supposed to be morbid or tragic or poignant or any other term related to death and dying; it is a light-hearted "collect creatures and maybe save the countryside" game marketed to youngsters.

While the series can't be accused of dredging up the tragedy of life lost at every opportunity, it also can't be accused of going to lengths in order to hide the real fact of passing on from its audience either, and that is a perfectly happy and respectable medium.

There is no reason whatsoever for this question to be entertained or realistically considered, and likewise no defect or imperfection in the franchise's history for this idea to have been based on from the start.

groundonman

the dark shadows >:D
in my opinion, i would say that yes, it would be more dramatic if characters died. Although it would be pretty stupid, a pokémon wouldnt really kill a human. Anyway, you got a tower of pokémon underneath gravestones, sure that is enough.

Niri

There isn't any need to include more death references in my opinion. We already have Pokémon graves in the games and some deaths in some of the other media but I don't think they need to dd any just for the sake of adding it. If a death is important to the storyline or if it's to add the scene (To make it more dramatic) then I would be all for it. If not then I'm fine with the way it is right now.

Dark Eevee

in my opinion, i would say that yes, it would be more dramatic if characters died. Although it would be pretty stupid, a pokémon wouldnt really kill a human. Anyway, you got a tower of pokémon underneath gravestones, sure that is enough.
So those super ****** off Beedrill don't mean any harm? Or those Ursaring or Gyarados? (In the anime at least, just look at the pokedex entries for in game).

If you think about it there are deaths in the games (all the grave stones in the games) however, I think that they are trying to keep the games happy-ish for everyone, and if they start adding more visable deaths, it would make the games darker and more grim

Indragon

Back in the USSR
So those super ****** off Beedrill don't mean any harm? Or those Ursaring or Gyarados? (In the anime at least, just look at the pokedex entries for in game).

They're merely angry about a territorial dispute. They aren't trying to kill you, just chase you off their land. Or perhaps you disturbed a peaceful afternoon nap? :p Self preservation's a natural enough reaction among animals, but that doesn't mean they want to kill you.

Dark Eevee

They're merely angry about a territorial dispute. They aren't trying to kill you, just chase you off their land. Or perhaps you disturbed a peaceful afternoon nap? :p Self preservation's a natural enough reaction among animals, but that doesn't mean they want to kill you.
Killer bees with sting you to death.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
death isnt that big of a deal showing the darkness of humanity is much more epic which is why the thing with Cyrus in the World that was not is awesome

dragoniteKnight

Pose as a team
They aren't trying to kill you, just chase you off their land.:p Self preservation's a natural enough reaction among animals, but that doesn't mean they want to kill you.

gyrados destroys villages if someone starts an argument of who has the hotter wife, its safe to bet that someone dies in the rampages.

however i only want more death referances if its actually relevant to the story and not just there to make it seem more mature

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!

lucario is best

shiny seeker
if you think about it if a 6 year old was playing one of the games lets say ruby the he/she descuvers threr pokemon is dead they would be sad i think the level of deaths in the pokeon series is ok the way it is