• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Pokemon have more Death Refereneces?

Indragon

Back in the USSR
death is scene alot in children series, children should get with the program of reality, trying to shield them from something so paltry as death is a bunch of weak bullcrap

Simple fact - children don't care about death. Give 'em what they want. Plenty of Pokemon, plenty of battles, you get the drift.

Pokemon is an escape from reality
Death is all about reality
End of

+1 to that.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Yes, it'd be fine if it tied in with the story but for Cyrus, I don't think it matters. I wouldn't have found the story any more satisfying or complete with him dying. It'd just be a random add-on.

Also, why should he die? Cyrus is awesome. :D

And again, death is prevalent enough for what is supposed to be cheery children's story. If you want death and tragedy, play or watch something else. It's not so much as what's appropriate but the fact that the Pokemon world is, and has for the most, been a perfect one. That's a big part of its charm and many people don't want it go down the route of generic edgier and darker.

Well... At least in the Anime he gets sucked into another dimention! ( better than having him give a quick lecture and walk away ) Also Hunter J apparently drowns in her flying ship after it get's hit by Uxie's Future sight and crashes into the water. I actually enjoyed seeing her sink to a watery grave! She deserves it after what she did to that girl and her Gardevoir!!

lucario is best

shiny seeker
there is pokedex entries that say there is death in the game

lucario is best

shiny seeker
There are other stories besides the mArowak one

But what about every other one? Are they unnecessary?

By "every other one", I am assuming you mean the references to death in Pokemon other than the Marowak one. In which case, I do not understand what caused you to ask this question, as Victoria clearly stated she belives any references to death in a childs game are unnecessary, and she merely gave the Marowak scenario as an example.

Nintendo likes money. Nintendos biggest target group with Pokemon is younger children. They don't want to have to change their main target audience and damage any profit just because they felt they increasing the amount of references to death. It just wouldn't happen. Not to mention, it holds no greater purpose, due to the fact that, as stated earlier, games like Pokemon are generally used as an escape from reality for people, and death is one of the biggest reminders of reality in peoples lives.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
By "every other one", I am assuming you mean the references to death in Pokemon other than the Marowak one. In which case, I do not understand what caused you to ask this question, as Victoria clearly stated she belives any references to death in a childs game are unnecessary, and she merely gave the Marowak scenario as an example.

Nintendo likes money. Nintendos biggest target group with Pokemon is younger children. They don't want to have to change their main target audience and damage any profit just because they felt they increasing the amount of references to death. It just wouldn't happen. Not to mention, it holds no greater purpose, due to the fact that, as stated earlier, games like Pokemon are generally used as an escape from reality for people, and death is one of the biggest reminders of reality in peoples lives.

Wow! For someone new you certainly prove a good point! While I still think Pokemon could be more epic with in game deaths it`s still fine the way it is. I`ll still play it regardless. I just hate the fact that the villains just get to walk away. They need to get what they deserve!!

Wow! For someone new you certainly prove a good point! While I still think Pokemon could be more epic with in game deaths it`s still fine the way it is. I`ll still play it regardless. I just hate the fact that the villains just get to walk away. They need to get what they deserve!!

Every villain to date has had some form of punishment for their actions. Giovanni disbanded the biggest crime syndicate known in Pokemon, and went into voluntary solitude from civilisation. Archie / Maxie were punished by the rampant actions of kyogre / groudon, and the realisation that their life work was a shallow dream, one which merely pushed them closer to destruction than anything else. Cyrus ended up becoming confined within the Distortion World and is merely wandering the desolate place. Black / White was the biggest example of punishment yet, with all the Sages of Team Plasma being aprehended by Looker, and their leader, Geechisu, was aprehended by both Cheren and Adeku. While it is arguable that N was the leader of Team Plasma, and that he recieved no punishment, N was more of a pawn than anything else, someone who could take the fall for Geechisu should their plans go wrong.

While the cases of Giovanni and Archie / Maxie are somewhat arguable, the main aim of any form of punishment is rehabilitation / reformation. In both cases, the leader has underwent a phase of reformation, abandoning their "corrupt" views.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Daeths are mentioned a lot more in the games than the anime. It's almost like it doesn't exist. Excep the Latios and Latias movie. Nearly cried my eyes out...

Zappi

Ace Trainer Sassi
well when you release a pokemon you essentially kill it. does that count?

Nono. ;_______;

I don't see releasing them as killing them. If I did, I'd never release any of them ever, the poor dears. Because, imaginatively, "releasing" a Pokemon is exactly what it says. You're releasing them back into the wild.

Anyways, back on tooooopic~ I think it certainly would make the game more interesting in a sense to have more death references...but I would hate it if your own Pokemon could actually die. ;-;

I think if they ever made some sort of branch-off game series and made it more "adult" rated or whatever, then that would be fine. But if I were to lose the Pokemon I worked so hard to train..ugh, that would suck big time.

Yes.

Poor, poor cubones.. :(

I dont think pokemon shuld have more death refenrences because, moslty the kids are the ones who watch this series

RedMage23

The Red Mage
Jeez, go watch a more mature anime/play a more mature game if you want death, and face the fact that Pokemon is primarily for the 6-12 age group.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
I've recently seen a trailer for the fan made Pokemon live action movie Pokemon Apokelypse ( Maybe some of you have seen it ) and it made me think of this Thread I made a while back... I always thought Pokemon could have a little more death to it... But after seeing that... I think I like Pokemon the way it is... Surly it would be cool if the stories were a little darker but that's overkill... To see this Trailer go on Youtube and type Pokemon Apokelypse.

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
I think the games had enough references i.e the cemetaries and the Marowak story mentioned so frequently. I mean, yeah, it'd be interesting if it got a little darker, but this a franchise for lil' ones and other people wh oenjoy, but I doubt they'll be throwing Nazi genocides or anything.
just saying

7420Cola

Shelgon Rocks
If a cubone wears the skull of its dead mother, what if cubone dies before it becomes a mother.