• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Rock and Ground Types just be one type?

^

• Yes

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chianti

4 / 9 / 2014
A rock is part of the ground, and makes up the ground, but the ground is not a rock. Thus, no.

It's kind of like saying hershey bars are chocolate, but not all chocolate are hershey bars. (Eww chocolate.)

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
I've got a feeling this is going to get closed...

It's seemed to me for quite some time that Rock and Ground could potentially be combined into one "Earth" type. I suppose it's similar to the difference between Water and Ice in our Macroscopic scale. Both soil and rock are composed of minerals but rocks are obviously more solid and behave differently than soil. I'm going to say no, they don't need to be the same type but I wouldn't really care that much if they were.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
That's ridiculous.

Just because they are similar doesn't mean they're the same thing.

It makes sense that rock is super effective against flying-types as rocks can knock down birds.

However, it makes no sense that mud thrown at them or an earthquake make them weaker.

Furthermore, a building made out of steel CAN survive getting hit by a lot of rocks, but it can't survive earthquakes.

I truly think that saying rock and ground are the same thing is a ridiculous observation, which can be proven wrong easily, which I just did.

The Ground type is a lot wider than rock.
Ground is more about being on ground level, living close to the earth or partly in it(living in mud, being good at digging and so on). Which is why it doesn't work on Flying types.

Rock on the other hand is more about rocks, minerals, crystals etc. The typing usually refers to a pokémon's physiology, while Ground has more to do with habitat.

That said, if they were one type from the start I wouldn't have questioned it, but it would be strange to narrow down the types for no particular reason.

Last edited:

gamer_legend

If anything grass and ground should be the same type. Though thinking about how they both react to water types I can see why they aren't.

Sprinter1988

That's ridiculous.

Just because they are similar doesn't mean they're the same thing.

It makes sense that rock is super effective against flying-types as rocks can knock down birds.

However, it makes no sense that mud thrown at them or an earthquake make them weaker.

Furthermore, a building made out of steel CAN survive getting hit by a lot of rocks, but it can't survive earthquakes.

I truly think that saying rock and ground are the same thing is a ridiculous observation, which can be proven wrong easily, which I just did.

I'm fairly certain that if you throw enough mud at a bird it'll be knocked down by it. Anyway, by your logic, steel should be super effective against flying as I'm pretty sure that throwing an iron bar or a tin can at a bird has just as much chance of knocking it out of the sky as a rock.

Anyway, I think that the argument here is that both types have similar movesets - most ground types learn many rock moves and most rock types learn many ground moves

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I'm fairly certain that if you throw enough mud at a bird it'll be knocked down by it. Anyway, by your logic, steel should be super effective against flying as I'm pretty sure that throwing an iron bar or a tin can at a bird has just as much chance of knocking it out of the sky as a rock.

That's a fair point, but most type matchups have a reason behind them, and I can't think of a better reason why flying-types are weak to rock-types.

Anyway, I think that the argument here is that both types have similar movesets - most ground types learn many rock moves and most rock types learn many ground moves

That doesn't mean they should be the same type.

Most water-types CAN learn ice-type moves easily, but by no means does that mean water-types are related to ice-types.

Furthermore, a lot of dragon-types like Salamence and Hydreigon can learn fire-type moves, but does that mean fire-types are related to dragon-types? Not by a long shot.

Last edited:

ValexHD

Shiny Chainer
I personally think that there are enough differences between Ground and Rock types for them to each be their own type. As Blaze said, it makes sense that a rock could hurt a bird, but not an earthquake.