• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Salamence be Uber?

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
As long as Stealth Rock and Ice Beam Starmie exists...

Salamence will not be uber.

Even DDmence has massive trouble. Scarfmie and Mamoswine still have a major advantage agianst him.

A Bulky Mamoswine can, infact survive a +1 Outrage then blow it away with Ice Shard. This is after Stealth Rock ofcourse.

If any pokemon needs to be reviewed it's Scizor. While I do not believe that Scizor is Uber, It still needs to be watched very carefully. Right now it's stuck with a Priority Steel move as it's only saving grace. Bullet Punch is the only thing keeping Scizor in OU.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
I have no idea why people are getting so worked up. Garchomp overcentralised the metagame and Salamence does not. Simple.
Scizor Uber? Hahahahahaha, no. Heatran.

Spirit of Darkness

Salamence is a great OU Pokemon adn I don't thinkthat it needs to be Uber. It has balanced stats and not over-maxed ones like Garchomp.

naw, salamence is strong yes, but if it were uber we wouldnt be able to use it in the battle towers, right?

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
naw, salamence is strong yes, but if it were uber we wouldnt be able to use it in the battle towers, right?

You would still be able to use it in the battle tower. Smogon teirs don't effect the battle tower, as it's just a fan system, when all's said and done.
Remember; you CAN you garchomp in the battle tower. I would know. X_X

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
It seems like these are the kinds of arguments that crop up when a usage based system is in play but people want to attach values to individual pokemon ;)

Last edited:

Lunanight

Omg, I can't believe I'm reading this.

Why not putting all the Titans in Uber Tiers; such as Gyarados, Metagross, Tyranitar, Scizor and Dragonit while we're at it.

I agree with you.
while that is being mentioned, what about kingdra, aggron, spiritomb, torterra, dusknoir, gliscor, blissey, suicune and lucario we might as well put them in Uber Tiers too.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Bullet Punch is the only thing keeping Scizor in OU.

You're forgetting it's 130 base attack stat AND Technician. Not to mention a STAB + technician powered U-Turn, and now HG/SS brought it Bug Bite. There's also swords dance, superpower, and roost.

Also, I want Garchomp back. Flygon sucks. :(

Last edited:

dragoniteKnight

Pose as a team
Countering Salamence is just as hard as countering Garchomp

wrong, garchomp had less SE types and was faster+better def. salamance has a laughable base 80 def and mediocre hp, not to mention an ice, dragon and rock weakness, which isnt exactly rare, while garchomp had not only less SE types (just dragon and ice), but also as i said better def, faster speed, and also more neutral and NE types. not to mention sand veil is more easily abused then intimidate (which is useless against fast special sweepers). TBH its not like salamance hard to counter, metagross can easily kill salamance without a problem, for example.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
This is why I don't think anything should be considered uber. Causes nothing but arguments...

This makes me miss the old days when you'd get a team and your friend would get a team and you'd BATTLE! No complaints, no pointless rules, no excuses. You'd just battle. Where have those days gone?

randomspot555

This is why I don't think anything should be considered uber. Causes nothing but arguments...

This makes me miss the old days when you'd get a team and your friend would get a team and you'd BATTLE! No complaints, no pointless rules, no excuses. You'd just battle. Where have those days gone?

Those days never exclusively existed. There has always been a segment of fans who've focused on the more competitive aspects of Pokemon, diving deep into the game mechanics and the battle system. And it's a discussion, not an argument. And for those who can't handle a good discussion, they're welcome to just read.

There's nothing stopping you from ignoring all of that and returning to those supposed days-of-old. Smogon only made these rules for their Shoddy battle server. There is no one out there making anyone else go along with this.

**Also, for those of us who have been playing since the beginning, we've gone from being with children our age in classrooms where we all had our Gameboys with us to going to sprawled out college campuses where we all have different schedules and crap like that. It's just not that easy to get Pokemon fan(s) in one room, assuming you even know someone else that plays**

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Those days never exclusively existed. There has always been a segment of fans who've focused on the more competitive aspects of Pokemon, diving deep into the game mechanics and the battle system. And it's a discussion, not an argument. And for those who can't handle a good discussion, they're welcome to just read.

You must be really new to gaming if you don't believe that those kind of days ever existed. Ever play Street Fighter II? How about Super Mario Bros. 3? Or Contra? We'd play those games with 2 controllers, and yeah. We'd scream at one another every time someone stole a life or a card or used a cheap move. But we'd keep playing.

As it is, this sort of thing does always lead to arguments though, as has been proven numerous times before. That's one of the reasons I never play against people I don't know.

And no, Smogon doesn't work for Nintendo. Nor does anyone else that is on his team.

Last edited:

Noheart

The Abysswalker
wrong, garchomp had less SE types and was faster+better def. salamance has a laughable base 80 def and mediocre hp, not to mention an ice, dragon and rock weakness, which isnt exactly rare, while garchomp had not only less SE types (just dragon and ice), but also as i said better def, faster speed, and also more neutral and NE types. not to mention sand veil is more easily abused then intimidate (which is useless against fast special sweepers).TBH its not like salamance hard to counter, metagross can easily kill salamance without a problem, for example.

While salamence outspeeds and faints it with Fire Blast.

Salamence is not uber. While it is hard to effectively counter it with one pokemon (there's many different versions of salamence), it can be countered with good prediction. Like switching into an obvious Draco Meteor to lower it's Special Attack, making it switch and allowing your pokemon to set up, but a normal player is likely to lose one pokemon to it, while Garchomp could probably faint half of the opponents team if their whole party wasn't stacked with things that have a chance to kill it. (Which is why I want it back ;))

Sorry. It's only STAB. U-Turn based power is 70.

My mistake, I thought it was 60 for some reason.

Last edited:

NUUU pokemon master

In my opinion I dont think anytime soon. Unless in the 5 generation he gets some more powerful and accurate moves to kill of his biggest threats i wouldnt hold my breath

calum

Banned
As long as Stealth Rock and Ice Beam Starmie exists...

Salamence will not be uber.

Even DDmence has massive trouble. Scarfmie and Mamoswine still have a major advantage agianst him.

A Bulky Mamoswine can, infact survive a +1 Outrage then blow it away with Ice Shard. This is after Stealth Rock ofcourse.

If any pokemon needs to be reviewed it's Scizor. While I do not believe that Scizor is Uber, It still needs to be watched very carefully. Right now it's stuck with a Priority Steel move as it's only saving grace. Bullet Punch is the only thing keeping Scizor in OU.

607 Atk vs 284 Def & 424 HP (120 Base Power): 358 - 423 (84.43% - 99.76%)

+1 Mence to Max HP / Max Def Mamo .

KO after SR mostly

Nobody would run Max/Max Mamo, that is stupid. Please back up your claims before making ludicrous statements like that.

randomspot555

You must be really new to gaming if you don't believe that those kind of days ever existed.

I'm speaking specifically to Pokemon, since this is a Pokemon forum in a thread discussing Pokemon, responding to a post that mentions Pokemon battling.

Ever play Street Fighter II? How about Super Mario Bros. 3? Or Contra? We'd play those games with 2 controllers, and yeah. We'd scream at one another every time someone stole a life or a card or used a cheap move. But we'd keep playing.

And there were just as many games that people went nerd crazy over too. Ever heard of Doom? 10+years later, fans are STILL making home made levels off of that, and play the original (well, really, Doom II, cause it's a whole lot better and has the BFG9000). The Mario Bros. series had a bunch of people digging through all the glitches and secret worlds that are hidden, probably left there from development.

As it is, this sort of thing does always lead to arguments though, as has been proven numerous times before.

No one is arguing. It's a discussion forum. Jsut because people can be passionate doesn't make it an argument.

And no, Smogon doesn't work for Nintendo. Nor does anyone else that is on his team.

What does this even mean, or have anything to do with anything that anyone's posted?