• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Serena win the Master Class in first attempt?

Shooti

Uber Trainer
It looks like Serena's Master Class arc is going to happen before Ash's 8th gym battle starting somewhere around XYZ-19, the episode title of which is just recently revealed.

I think she should win "Master Class" for a much needed change in anime in my opinion. The pokemon anime is known to be extremely harsh in regards to main characters achieving something big related to their goals.

It's pretty much a well established rule that if you're on the main cast, you won't win anything big which I honestly find quite irritating. I can understand why they make Ash lose every single time so that he could embark on a new journey and promote pokemon and characters of the latest games.

But, why are the writers so harsh on his travelling companions? They pretty much forget about Ash's past travelling companions once the region is over. They would most probably kick Serena (with Clemont and Bonnie) out of the show when Kalos ends and 7th gen comes out. Her cute adorable crush on Ash is likely to be dropped too without any fitting conclusion. I think she deserves to get a better sent off from the show which can be done by letting her win "Master Class" title and become "Kalos Queen". That way she would have a reason to stay in Kalos and not follow Ash on his new journey to a new region.

Current Kalos Queen "Aria" is around the same age as Serena and at most a couple of years more experienced than her. A lot of people in real life achieve success in their first attempt especially when they are passionate about it.

So yes, in short I believe Serena should win the Master Class (Even though I'm 95% sure that she'd lose given the track record of the anime). What are your thoughts on this?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
No, she should not win. She is no better than May or Dawn were at Pokemon Contests, and her winning he first Master Class while going up against people who have presumably been doing this for a lot longer would make no narrative sense. If you ask me, her arc with these Showcases has been way to forced. She went from being complete rookie to getting all three keys like it was absolutely nothing. To have her then win the Master Class would make things even worse.

LizardonX

Banned
If she wins it sets an unhealthy precedent where every non type based girl will have to win in order not to be seen as inferior.

Master_Tyrell

I think Serena will win the Master Class, but lose to Aria in a battle or something for the Kalos Queen title.

I agree with this. I think the Master Class might be to decide who challenges the current Kalos Queen. If Serena wins the Master Class then she'll have to face Aria for the title where Serena has not much chances of winning. However, we can't say that Serena winning would mean that everyone after her has to win as well. Considering we don't know what happens after the Master Class, they can have her become Kalos Queen and have an arc where she does things pertaining to being a Kalos Queen. Still, I don't think she'll win but it will be unfortunate if there's nothing for her to do once it is over.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
If she wins it sets an unhealthy precedent where every non type based girl will have to win in order not to be seen as inferior.

I'm not sure it would set such a precedent since Pokémon Showcases don't have battling and are not in the games. It would be different if she were doing Contests or something similar that involved battling, but since this doesn't involve battling, her winning the Master Class competition and/or even becoming Kalos Queen probably would not mean as much as it would if she were to enter Contests and become a Grand Festival Champion.

Shooti

Uber Trainer
I think writers don't let even Ash's travelling companions winning something big like Grand Festival because it would probably mean that Ash's travelling companions would be few steps ahead of Ash himself in regards to achieving their goal. It might be slightly insulting for Ash for some people because he's the main character. So I guess as long as Ash's seemingly never ending journey continues, most probably none of the main characters are going to achieve something big regarding their goal.

Personally, I think Dawn should have won the Sinnoh GF after the development she went through over a span of around 190 episodes.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I don't think so. I think she would lose and then go to another region for other showcases to get better and more experience.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
My answer is I don't know tbh. On one side she seems naturally so good with these things and it seems Aria has taken a shine to her. On the other side, the difference between her first ever Showcase and the last of the Master Class is only going to be...53 episodes. The goal has been just a tad rushed imo. Personally, I would say though I kinda do want her to win :3

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I don't really care either way.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
I doubt it.

Though Braxian may or may not evolve in XY&Z 20, which would more or less win it for her.

The real question is what will happen after these episodes. Will she continue to train & practice to stay on top/get better for next time, or will she go back to being nigh-useless and just pine over Ash :confused:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I doubt it.

Though Braxian may or may not evolve in XY&Z 20, which would more or less win it for her.

The real question is what will happen after these episodes. Will she continue to train & practice to stay on top/get better for next time, or will she go back to being nigh-useless and just pine over Ash :confused:

Lol I doubt she'll only be fawning over Ash anymore since she HARDLY does that anymore.

I see her winning the Master Class but losing to Aria in the final round then most likely getting some closure with her goal by thinking over and accepting to be Palermo's apprentice.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I want her to win just to see all the whining and complaining that will occur on this forum. In general I don't care either way. I don't even see the upside of being Kalos Queen. What does that even mean? She's the best at dancing with Pokemon? Does she get a trophy that says she's better then everyone? Is she put in the Kalos hall of fame for winning? This goal is so vague I don't even know. The only way this goal would even generate some real buzz is if Serena won, because so many people would complain that she won such a underwhelming goal in the first place and why Ash, May, and Dawn never won anything and the "It's not fair" card will come into play as will the "Mary Sue" card. That is the only reason I'd love to see her win. To see the fanbase crack :D

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I want her to win just to see all the whining and complaining that will occur on this forum. In general I don't care either way. I don't even see the upside of being Kalos Queen. What does that even mean? She's the best at dancing with Pokemon? Does she get a trophy that says she's better then everyone? Is she put in the Kalos hall of fame for winning? This goal is so vague I don't even know. The only way this goal would even generate some real buzz is if Serena won, because so many people would complain that she won such a underwhelming goal in the first place and why Ash, May, and Dawn never won anything and the "It's not fair" card will come into play as will the "Mary Sue" card. That is the only reason I'd love to see her win. To see the fanbase crack :D

Lol, if you want to see the fanbase crack, then just hope that Amourshipping doesn't become canon. You'll be filled for life on fansalt if that happens XD

Anyway, we may not know what being Kalos Queen means, but if it means everything to Serena, then it means a lot. It's her dream :)

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Lol, if you want to see the fanbase crack, then just hope that Amourshipping doesn't become canon. You'll be filled for life on fansalt if that happens XD

Anyway, we may not know what being Kalos Queen means, but if it means everything to Serena, then it means a lot. It's her dream :)

I won't fault her for following her dream, that's great and all. I just wish there was more to this goal then what we see. Even Aria doesn't feel like that big of a deal in Kalos. Unless she physically shows up she has had little impact in the Kalos region. They should have made this goal seem more important. I mean Aria looks to be about Serena's age, so I doubt she's super experienced, like this anime loves to hype up with champions.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I won't fault her for following her dream, that's great and all. I just wish there was more to this goal then what we see. Even Aria doesn't feel like that big of a deal in Kalos. Unless she physically shows up she has had little impact in the Kalos region. They should have made this goal seem more important. I mean Aria looks to be about Serena's age, so I doubt she's super experienced, like this anime loves to hype up with champions.

To be fair, at least she's appearing consistently, an anime only character, more then Diantha the Kalos champion, who has only appeared once

Pikachu52

No she should not. If Serena won the Master class it would mean she's gone from being a Rookie who couldn't be bothered to capture a Pokémon for nearly 60 episodes and bursting into tears after her disastrous first performance to being one of the best performers in the region in the space of just under two series. That's either a radical improvement beyond anything we've seen from co-stars like May and Dawn or it just confirms the showcases never had that degree of skill within them in the first place. At least, that's how I would interpret it. Fans of Serena will obvioulsy look at it differently and want their favourite character to be successful.

The precedent is against Serena winning. Neither Dawn or May won the grand festival. May participated in two grand festivals and failed to get the final in either. Ash has never won a regional league either. The only equivalents I can think of is Dawn winning the Wallace cup or Iris winning the Unova Tournament (which was the worst episode of the entire anime in my opinion). But those competitions were one offs, where as this is apex of the Kalos showcases and has exclusive entrance (you need to win three princess keys) so it seems less reasonable for Serena to win.