• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should Team Rocket Be Removed from the Pokemon Anime?

Should TR be removed from the Pokemon Anime?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fenniken

fire master
we are gonna get a new rehashed version TR imagine this Ash travling to gen7 but terrible Team Flare decides to ruin there plans TF is a rehased version of TR

fenniken

fire master
rehash

we are gonna get a new rehashed version TR imagine this Ash travling to gen7 but terrible Team Flare decides to ruin there plans TF is a rehased version of TR there gonna rehash everthing

we are gonna get a new rehashed version TR imagine this Ash travling to gen7 but terrible Team Flare decides to ruin there plans TF is a rehased version of TR

TF can't be as bad as TR are now lol.

All the characters from the original series who lingered into the following gens just became worse characters and completely uninteresting.

Yeah, this says it better than I ever could-- for the most part, it's true.

fenniken

fire master
tgen100 new protaiginist saving regional pika from bird pokemopn

tgen100 new protaiginist saving regional pika from bird pokemopn

Nah, Gen 100's protagonist will still be Ash (reset from Gen 99 again) and his Lvl. 999 Pikachu who loses to something or has to be rescued from losing something lol.

Anyway, I'm sick of TR-- sick and tired of their BS. I haven't seen them hit a low point as badly as they have in XY: I just want them gone period at this point.

fenniken

fire master
Nah, Gen 100's protagonist will still be Ash (reset from Gen 99 again) and his Lvl. 999 Pikachu who loses to something or has to be rescued from losing something lol.

Anyway, I'm sick of TR-- sick and tired of their BS. I haven't seen them hit a low point as badly as they have in XY: I just want them gone period at this point.
imaige if BW was first everoe wont be hating on him

WaterTypeWarrior

I still don't get why everyone hated Team Rocket in DP, or why they think they've hit a new low in XY. Sure they're complete idiots and they bring about their own downfall a lot of the time, but that just doesn't seem like a good argument to me. They've ALWAYS been this way and I really don't notice a lot of major (note I said major) differences in their characters since the OS. I just don't see how they've gotten any dumber than they were when they first appeared. To me, they just seemed more competent back then because Ash was so inexperienced. I understand why people have come to dislike them over time just because they're tired of them, but I don't think they've become any worse as characters. I still love the four of them (yes, I count Wobbuffet as a fourth team member) and actually kinda miss them appearing in every episode, even if it was fairly pointless sometimes. I know I'm in the minority, but that's just how I view them.

I still don't get why everyone hated Team Rocket in DP, or why they think they've hit a new low in XY. Sure they're complete idiots and they bring about their own downfall a lot of the time, but that just doesn't seem like a good argument to me. They've ALWAYS been this way and I really don't notice a lot of major (note I said major) differences in their characters since the OS. I just don't see how they've gotten any dumber than they were when they first appeared. To me, they just seemed more competent back then because Ash was so inexperienced. I understand why people have come to dislike them over time just because they're tired of them, but I don't think they've become any worse as characters. I still love the four of them (yes, I count Wobbuffet as a fourth team member) and actually kinda miss them appearing in every episode, even if it was fairly pointless sometimes. I know I'm in the minority, but that's just how I view them.

That's fine: to each their own, but I must say personally I don't think they were always arguing amongst each other like children, speaking in alliterations and assonance almost daily (this is more a problem with the TPCi dub of the Anime, though) with "Dig it, jack/lugs/my aching mug" phrases or "Primo x," or almost dumb enough to the point of popping their own balloons like in DP and XY. I feel over time they've been flanderized greatly, lost the kind of depth and charm they had in the earlier seasons, and generally feel like a comedic side show just there to serve as plot devices now. I just feel like TR have solely been reduced to the twerps' punching bags lacking depth or any backstory or deep emotional moments nowadays, and it hurts-- I don't think they have always been like this at ALL. I'm not saying they were ever really good villains (outside of BW pre-Da!), but they had some character to them in the past-- I don't see this from them now.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!

Team Rocket used to be geuninely funny and had actual characters in the earlier seasons. They did start to get a bit repetitive in Johto and Hoenn because they were in every single filler episode, but they still felt like characters.

By the time DP started it was obvious they were done. Jessie succeeding in Contests was about the only interesting thing about them in DP, and even that didn't matter much given the way Jessie's contest quest ended.

WaterTypeWarrior

That's fine: to each their own, but I must say personally I don't think they were always arguing amongst each other like children, speaking in alliterations and assonance almost daily (this is more a problem with the TPCi dub of the Anime, though) with "Dig it, jack/lugs/my aching mug" phrases or "Primo x," or almost dumb enough to the point of popping their own balloons like in DP and XY. I feel over time they've been flanderized greatly, lost the kind of depth and charm they had in the earlier seasons, and generally feel like a comedic side show just there to serve as plot devices now. I just feel like TR have solely been reduced to the twerps' punching bags lacking depth or any backstory or deep emotional moments nowadays, and it hurts-- I don't think they have always been like this at ALL. I'm not saying they were ever really good villains (outside of BW pre-Da!), but they had some character to them in the past-- I don't see this from them now.

Well, I certainly respect you opinion and far be it from me to try and change it. It really is all up to personal preference and what kind of person you are. Some people are bothered by things, some aren't. In all honesty, I doubt I could influence your opinion at all anyway, no matter how hard I tried. I actually kinda admire how set you are on your opinions, especially considering its so connected to your love of the OS. Personally, I think there's something to be said for stubbornness (hope you don't take that offensively, I mean it in the best possible way).

pokemon fan 132

Regarding TR i feel how main reason why good portion of fans on here(on bulbagarden most seem to like TR, especially in XY showing how divided pokefandom really can be)dislike JJM trio wanting them gone is because their plans and role never amounts to something meaningful representing true danger to main protagonist Ash and his friends which needs to be countered and resolved.

I guess reason why i personally never got that much bothered with it steams from coming to accept their faith over the years and how they were never intended to be true, serious threat persay, someone who would completely break mold and change course of story to high, deeper degree.

But treated more as recurring team of antagonists which serve as comedy relief, someone who is not meant to be taken seriously being there to stalk Ash and his travel companion, bring comedy, tension and occasional shift from battling, developoment of protagonist and main story with their goofy, full of crazy taunts, unorthodox ideas and at times selfish interests personalities.

Alongside having anime dive into their pasts, previous events and changes in life which affected them as persons, explore on their characterization and provide insight in their own hidden interests and motives they dont directly show in front of others. Thanks to lot of references to past, James and Jessie are probably most fleshed out characters in pokemon in that aspect with many things being revealed having rich backstories.

Portraying them as three individuals full of insecurity and direction in life to follow, not being sure where they truly belong. Characters which had tragic and bad experiences in life like Jessie losing mother at young age, constant misfortune in life failing at any school(tried to be nurse, weatherman on TV, model etc failing at everything), not having any luck in love life being abandoned by any boyfriend and inability to fit in society causing her to end up in TR organization. Same applies to James , he got tired of constantly living under strict rules, enforced education and various activities as child of millionaires not having much time for himself and his own desires accompanied with imposed obligation to marriage girl he didn't loved(Jessibelle) resulting in running away from home and getting lost without anyone as person. Until he met Jessie and Mewoth ending in TR organization.

Not because they are malicious, but bue to bad experiences in life and wrong choices making them end on bad side of spectrum.

Showing numerous times how they are not cruel and bad persons deep down having casring and sincere heart,. Capable of feeling sympathy for others, even go out of their way and orders carried oiut by Rocket organizaton helping Ash and co on some occasions helping him to win gym battle or hesitating in attacking them when they help them(such as James not wanting to attack Misty after helping him and Meowth). Doing best what they can for their pokemon not wanting to stand in eway of their happiness and doing right thing. Such as being willing to sacrifice themselves to buy time for Arbok and Weezing tom escape poacher Rico, James leaving his Chemecho at old vacation mansion realizing how traveking with him wont provide him care and treatment it needs to recover. Releasing his Cacnea with crushed heart knowing how it deserves better life and way to expolore its potential with gym leader Gardenia. Or Jessie not wanting to stand in way of happiness for her own pokemon like Dustox crushing her own pokeball and although overwhelmed with sadness and emotions deciding to do best for her pokemon.

However at same time becoming too much identified within TR organization viewing it as purpose in their life and place where they belong lacking strength and determination to differentiate themselves from it .
Because of their personalities and true motives behind even being TR members they simply dont really fit into mold of evil, corrupted and careless villains. Going against who they are and their true nature.

For some people that can be frustrating and annoying after awhile based on their attention span and for how long they can remain interested in someone or something, but personally im still able to enjoy in Jessie, James and Meowth presence appreciating their shifty dynamic and appeal they are capable of delivering to show.

Being staple, recognizable image of pokemon anime in much similar manner like Ash became or original trio as group seem to have viewed as "special" among many fans.

Now dont get me wrong inconsistency in TR writing, stagnation of role they are put in and sometime not staying authentic to their characterization can really grind my ears. But at same time i grew attached to those three over the years being sad to let them go and i realize how replacing them could also bring much worse alternative(like Butch and Cassidy which while had some moments aren't nearly as endearing like JJM trio is) .

But as far as im concerned im willing to give them chance being in favor of their stay because i like their characters being of belief how there exist juice in them to do more and better.

Since any character with good writing, investment and passion from writers side can become worthwhile, endearing, fresh and captivating to follow again. Reviving people interest for those who may have grown tired of someone thanks to new, innocative aspects implenented in character story, his personality and interests enriching on him as whole.

With solution imo not lying in replacing someone if i grow bored of him, but deciding to give him chance to get restored bringing him back on right path again. Being willing to say how they still manage to bring laugh and interest for me sometime.

I have to disagree-- I think Ash did become worse over time, though: I didn't see him maturing at all, but only losing personality and depth to his character. He didn't keep his fun traits in DP, though, and became such a stiff battler than I couldn't even recognize him. As a trainer, maybe I can agree, but as a character? Nope, he had much more to him in the OS than he does now: out of AG and DP, I'd definitely take AG Ash-- least he wasn't flat half the time like in DP, and I still liked him there. BW Ash is self-explanatory, and XY Ash is all over the place and inconsistent as heck.

If thats how you feel i respect and understand that. But to me ewhat is described as "caricature, shell of former self" as some tend to label Ash, i see genuine character. Full of emotion, flaws, interests and energy. Character who simply became more collected,strategic and open minded toward new ideas evolving over time.

He is still funny ,sometimes naive and bratty which can be noticed in clashes he had with Paul and Dawn, Iris or Trip. He is still clueless and easy going about several things(whether its romance , paying attention to classes like it was case with summer school arc for example or in way he approaches toward battles)causing annoyance and discredit from others.

He still has to me that impulsive, hotheaded side to himself reacting abruptly when someone challenge his ego or when he wants to challenge gym leaders being impatient(like it was case with Viola recently). He still has that determined fire in himself of becoming pokemon master. Passion for his pokemon putting his own life at stake to save others(most recently showed when jumping of building to save Pikachu, trying to calm down enraged Garchomp,openly challenging Daz to save his friends and pokemon ). While showing more of different, new sides to character whkich we didnt saw very often or at all in past such as showing fascination and interest in other people ingterest and professions leaving positive effect on him(such as whole Clemont hobby over inventing various gadgets leaving Ash amazed, but also irritated at times). Or in Ash radiating with more wise and collected approach encouraging and advicing his friends what would bew best choice to doi, such as openly motivating Clemont to intercede for himself taking over gym back from Citroid. Serving as inspoiration and mentor like character to his new companions(especially noticed with current Kalos cast).

Having deth and personality to him in my opinion, but at same time that personality being polished and builded up due to maturing, developing different perceptioon on people and way he looks at world and pokemon due to various crisis, experiences and both good and bad times leaving effect on him as person growing up. Growth which can sometime be inconsecutive and stationary but in essence still growth in character nonetheless.

But to each their own.

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I'd only want them to leave if we get there stories wrapped up. Like Giovanni decides to disband the Rockets. I have said it so many times if the rockets disband I want to see Jessie and James for rivals for Ash. Well more so James since James actually could be a skilled trainer.

Jfloydian

Ash <3 Misty
I thought they would be gone second season in the 90s. I am beyond SHOCKED that the rediculousness has gone on for so many years. EVERY episode? Really?

It's not that they are bad characters -- it is that they amount to nothing. They get nowhere. They aren't a threat! It's a GAG to me that has been old since 1999. I was young back then and even I found their schtick repetitive, annoying and old.

I don't mean to offend anyone here at all but I just wish they were either developed correctly, (writers' fault) or they should leave. To each their own though! I mean no disrespect.

LizardonX

Banned
Considering BW had some of the absolute worst fillers in the series, it doesn't mean the show's filler will improve without TR.

Considering BW had some of the absolute worst fillers in the series, it doesn't mean the show's filler will improve without TR.

I disagree. XY gave us some really good fillers without TR being present to meddle with the plot.
BW didn't suck because TR was absent for most of the story, it sucked because the writers took several missteps regarding the development of its characters, both the main and secondary ones, and were ridiculously indecisive about the route the story should take due to a few unfortunate incidents.
Or unless you have forgotten, the moment TR went back to being their old selves and started appearing everywhere we got DA, so taking it into consideration maybe being away actually prevented a bad season from becoming even worse.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit

Seriously? I thought BW had some of the best ones outside of the original series, the lack of TR really did help in their favor most of the time

Jfloydian

Ash <3 Misty
As I've said before, besides some clever one-offs in terms of lines or even more rare -- episodes, the Rockets have all been stale, threatless and nothing but comedy relief, (bad at that IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.