• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should the anime actually always correspond to the games.

AdvancedGenGenesect

So I remember that the battle frontier saga was made to correspond to the firered and leafgreen remakes but some people complained about how ash got phanpy instead of a kanto pokemon but in my opinion phanpy was fine and a good add on to ash's battle frontier team so this begs the question should the anime always correspond to the games in terms of remakes, sidequests, characters and other details?

In my opinion one big thing that was changed (which was good) was that whitney in the games was childish and sort of a crybaby when she lost but in the anime she was mature and much more of a proper gym leader

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It shouldn't always, but I would have liked it if they stayed close to the BW1 Team Plasma storyline instead of what we actually got.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
So I remember that the battle frontier saga was made to correspond to the firered and leafgreen remakes but some people complained about how ash got phanpy instead of a kanto pokemon but in my opinion phanpy was fine and a good add on to ash's battle frontier team so this begs the question should the anime always correspond to the games in terms of remakes, sidequests, characters and other details?

In my opinion one big thing that was changed (which was good) was that whitney in the games was childish and sort of a crybaby when she lost but in the anime she was mature and much more of a proper gym leader

In terms of remakes, sidequests, characters, and other details, I don't think the anime always needs to correspond to the games. While the games do all take place in the same world, obviously, for the most part, their stories are self-contained, each with its own cast of core characters (the exception being sequels, of course). That's not the case with the anime, which is one long, continuous story starring the same protagonist. So, naturally, the anime's adaptation of each game is not going to be a page-by-page replica.

When it comes to the main storyline, the meat of the games—the Gym/Island Challenge battles, the villainous organization's plot, etc.—then it's nice when the anime adheres more closely to the games. But I don't expect the main storyline of the anime to be an exact replica of the games, either, since the cast of main characters is different.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
I personally like the anime to be a lot more different from the games, so we essentially get two different stories. It's also nice when most of the characters from the games are included and they keep their personalities as well.

Jeal

The only time the anime followed the history of the games was in AG. But the fanbase said the team aqua and team magma arc sucked.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Phanpy's catchable on the Sevi Isles though

I wish it did, the anime's not very respectful to how the Trial system works at all.

Leonhart

Imagineer
so this begs the question should the anime always correspond to the games in terms of remakes, sidequests, characters and other details?

The anime is set in its own universe separate from the games, so of course it doesn't have to correspond with the games. Generally speaking, I appreciate the fact that the writers have freedom to do pretty much anything they want, and my only real complaint is that they should at least find a way to include all of the important game characters instead of skipping some altogether, such as Higana and a few of the Four Heavenly Kings.

Psychotic

NotLikeThis
I'm okay with the anime breaking from the games so long as it's not something silly like lightning armor or the infamous "aim for the horn".

Azerolf

I don't mind the "Aim for the Horn" thing; never did, and found the whole mockery more silly than the mocked attack itself. This is because I always treated it as Rhyhorn's horn was metallic, and thus, it acted like a lightning rod. Yeah, I know ground type Pokemon transfers that electricity to the ground, but still, the fact that they tried to make it look like Pikachu's electricity hit a part of Rhyhorn that's seemingly conductive to electricity (keyword being "seemingly") was enough not to make me complain about it as a 10 year old child. It was fascinating, even. People really need to lighten up about creative liberties and not take adaptations so seriously (even if I could somewhat understand the frustration).

Here's the thing: Pokemon lore is rarely properly explained in the anime. Sure, a lot of people assumed that people watching the Pokemon anime automatically have interest in the games as well, thus being knowledgeable of how ground type Pokemon stay grounded and become immune to electricity... Actually, wait, even the games don't explain that. It's a game created for 10 year olds (let's face it; by Sun and Moon alone, you can tell it's a game for children). Do you really think such scientific technobabble would be explained to a bunch of kids more interested in catching fictional monsters during recess? I don't think kids would care, nor should they. It's a fictional universe, and if the laws of physics were never really established to begin with, should we really assume that our own science in the real world could apply in the Pokemon world as well? If so, then there are TONS of things that are either not scientifically accurate or just plain doesn't make sense. What if the way ground type Pokemon deflect electricity is by harnessing some invisible chemical aura from their body, thus forming said "type resistance"? And maybe Rhyhorn just happens to be one unlucky guy to have a metal horn (again, it's never really established what his horn is made of in the anime or the games). We wouldn't know, because it's never been explained.

And what about dodging? People keep on complaining about moves being dodged, when they're probably just upset that the Pokemon games are so primitive that they don't even have the dodge function, unlike the real world or the anime. A lot of things in the Pokemon anime, especially in season one, were set to real world logic rather than Pokemon or video game logic, such as the ability to dodge or having to feed your Pokemon and yourself during your Pokemon journey. So I don't see why dodging, a perfectly realistic move any animal could perform, would be such a big deal when it only adds to the intensity of the battle. Let's face it - your Pokemon matches would be far lengthier and even more intense if your opponent is able to dodge or use the stadium battleground to its advantage (without terrain moves/abilities, mind you). Imagine being able to burn the battleground so that the water Pokemon becomes dehydrated. Yep, I'm of course referring to the epic Johto battle between Ash and Gary. If only we could pull that off in the games.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm okay with the anime breaking from the games so long as it's not something silly like lightning armor or the infamous "aim for the horn".

To me, neither of those scenarios were that bad in hindsight, although I'll admit that one small thing that does bother me is when the writers take creative liberty in some battles, but then don't attempt to keep things consistent in other battles. This happens a lot with type advantages and type immunity.

Alloutℯ

Banned
The anime needs breathing room and I like when it adds its own twists instead of following the games. Whenever it does mimic the games, things take a downturn. :(

Jeal

I think it's best to have the anime have it's own story far apart from the games. I find that whenever a game's plot is put in the show it is very badly done, with a poorly done resolution to the game story I.E. Hoeonn arc.

But RSE's story is bad. If the games's story is bad, one can not expect much from the anime adaptation.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Like adapting any movie, one must be able to both differentiate itself from the original source material while remaining true to it at the same time. For example, no one liked Fant4stic because it tried to isolate itself from the original source material to the point it drained the dynamic of the group. That is not how you do an adaptation.

SinnohEevee

I think the anime should follow the games more closely while being it's own thing. Fact remains that the games are the source material for the anime, and the anime must adapt this material.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Not really.

I pretty much like how the anime has been handled since it started and I'm certain people would't like it if the anime completely corresponds to the games. Although I really dislike when the anime breaks the advantage type rules or when either Pokémon easily evolve or learn moves with no effort. I hate it.

Anyhow I have gotten used to it long ago so I guess I don't care anymore.