• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should The Anime have Disability References?

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
I could be wrong on this so correct me if so. Of all the episodes I've seen in the Pokemon Anime none of them have featured a disabled person. I know some of you see a Pokemon that can't do a move it should as a disability but I'm talking about real disabilities like being blind or being in a wheelchair or having mild to severe autism. I think they could make some great episodes that feature disabled people ( or Pokemon ) I even have some ideas! They could have an episode that features two autistic brothers, one has a Kirlia and he has to have it with him wherever he goes and he also loves Phychic type Pokemon while the brother can't be within 20 feet of a Psychic type without freaking out. Or how about one that features a lonely blind girl but Ash catches her a Buneary and gives it to her. These are only a few suggestions so lets hear yours! Do you think the Anime should feature People or Pokemon with disabilities?

randomspot555

What?

Seriously?

Ugh. If it fits in, sure, they might introduce a COTD at some point. But they shouldn't shoehorn it in. And they certainly shouldn't take fan suggestions.

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
Well, I think it doesn't really matter whether they should have disability references in the Pokemon anime or not, it's not really important anyway

Vernikova

Champion
They shouldn't have it just to have it. I don't think it would be very likely that someone who's blind or in a wheelchair would be on a Pokémon journey though.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
^Who said they had to be on a journey? Just sayin'.

I'd like to see a paraplegic Machamp that gets around using its extra pair of arms. Of course, its Trainer would have to be a Joe Swanson ripoff voiced by Patrick Warburton. *shot*

Maybe as a CotD, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

AdvancedK9

SHOOP DA WOOP!!!
Honestly, No.

I don't have anything against disabled's or anything, but there are just some things that just don't fit with other things. Like eating meat in the Pokemon world, and this. Especially if it were a CotD or PotD that was disabled.

But if there was some sort of new main character that was disabled, I'd be expecting some serious plot out of that.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Sounds like a thread for the Debate section.
Anyways I wouldn't say it's a priority that disables should be put in the spot light for an episode or two, I certainly wouldn't mind it, but it's not necessary nor does it make the pokemon series anti-disabled.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
As a disabled person I would say no. Disabled person in tv show are not portrayed very well they focus on the disabilities and as such they become boring.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Anyone remember that episode " A Chansey Operation "?

It was one of the only episodes that we saw an actual human hospital in. The episode seemed to imply that a human hospital in itself was a rarity in the Pokemon World. Even though said hospital was the only hospital around for " miles " according to the dialogue it wasn't particularly busy. It wasn't even busy by Pokemon Center standards. This may be over-thinking it, but to me it implies that humans in the Pokemon World are more durable then their real world counterparts. Perhaps certain illnesses that would sideline real humans simply don't exist there and if they did then Pokemon would somehow be able to cure or treat them. That's not to say that disability does not exist in the Pokemon World, but maybe that it's such a rarity that you have a better chance of seeing a Legendary Pokemon then finding someone who's blind or deaf.

'Course that's just rationalization of why it may not have happened already.

Seriously I think it's one of those things that are best left ambiguous. It's like we haven't really seen someone of another ethnicity in Pokemon but it's been implied that they exist. Sort of like we haven't seen anyone who's gay but it's been (very heavily) implied. The possibility is out there but is that really something that we need to see?

SaveOurPokemon

Original Series Fan
Well, if it's logical for the story, but it shouldn't be forced. Chip Chase was a decent character in Transformers, but I recall there being an episode focused around one of the bots installing a ramp to allow him to ride.

Anyway, Pokemon has had experience with disabilities- in Pokemon Live!, there was a deaf trainer who had a Jigglypuff. Which was a pretty funny scenario.

Eloi

In a world of warping technology, converting matter into computer data and back again, lasers, gigantic robots, and the like, do you really think they'd be people with disabilities?

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Medical science is extremely advanced in the Pokemon World, so that's one excuse. Another is that it can be seen as too dark or preachy for a fairly lighthearted show. People would complain if a disability was included just to make a point. I do think a blind COTD would make for an interesting scenario though- possibly having a dog pokemon training to be a seeing-eye dog?

AdvancedK9

SHOOP DA WOOP!!!
In a world of warping technology, converting matter into computer data and back again, lasers, gigantic robots, and the like, do you really think they'd be people with disabilities?

That's a good point. That would explain why it simply doesn't fit. But still, it's entirely possible for there to be a notable case were a disability existed.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Medical science is extremely advanced in the Pokemon World, so that's one excuse. Another is that it can be seen as too dark or preachy for a fairly lighthearted show. People would complain if a disability was included just to make a point. I do think a blind COTD would make for an interesting scenario though- possibly having a dog pokemon training to be a seeing-eye dog?

Ever seen Sonic X or Dragonball Z? They both have advanced tech like the Pokemon world yet they both featured disabled people in some way so the Pokemon anime should be no exception!

Blazenuva

If it makes sense, why not?

To me, it would be interesting to see a blind trainer who is quite powerful just by using his other senses.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
I don't feel superior to disabled people, but sticking autistic kids into the show would result in seriously annoying characters. Generally austistic people are seriously incapacitated socially at best, or completely incapable of any form of clear communication at worst. Having a character with a constantly monotonous voice, who completely misinterprets social cues, forms facial expressions completely unrelated to the emotions they're feeling would result in a character most kids would not be able to understand or relate too, and would make creating a plot extremely awkward.

Also, putting a disabled character into the show simply because they're disabled and for no other reason is kind of lame, its something that a parent of a disabled kid would come up with to make them feel better.

I don't think it would be awkward or difficult to put in a character who was coincidentally blind or paralyzed from the waist down, but to create a character where their part in the plot revolves around their disability is a good recipe for an awkward/dry plot.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Wouldn't work well for a show where the target audience is aimed for kids. Don't get me wrong, I am for the idea, but, well, will the kids really take notice of it?
I remember watching Lion King when I was very young, I did not "see" the Dictator symbolism of Scar, in his song.
I mean, I'd like it, but I don't think that the writer want to make Pokemon "educational" by teaching them about sympathy, more of something Elmo would do. If they do have a trainer with disability, I could see a blind trainer with a Growlithe or some other dog Pokemon. That would be the only Pokemon I could think of, or best Pokemon, to help the trainer with disability.

iraqmaster

Anyone remember that episode " A Chansey Operation "?

It was one of the only episodes that we saw an actual human hospital in. The episode seemed to imply that a human hospital in itself was a rarity in the Pokemon World. Even though said hospital was the only hospital around for " miles " according to the dialogue it wasn't particularly busy. It wasn't even busy by Pokemon Center standards. This may be over-thinking it, but to me it implies that humans in the Pokemon World are more durable then their real world counterparts. Perhaps certain illnesses that would sideline real humans simply don't exist there and if they did then Pokemon would somehow be able to cure or treat them. That's not to say that disability does not exist in the Pokemon World, but maybe that it's such a rarity that you have a better chance of seeing a Legendary Pokemon then finding someone who's blind or deaf.

'Course that's just rationalization of why it may not have happened already.

Seriously I think it's one of those things that are best left ambiguous. It's like we haven't really seen someone of another ethnicity in Pokemon but it's been implied that they exist. Sort of like we haven't seen anyone who's gay but it's been (very heavily) implied. The possibility is out there but is that really something that we need to see?[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that Chansey's Trainer in Pokemon Fashion Flash was a homosexual man...

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I read somewhere that Chansey's Trainer in Pokemon Fashion Flash was a homosexual man...

That Chansey's Trainer was a homosexual man in an anime guidebook. The anime only implied it. I tried to find more information about the guide book but I could only find that such a guidebook does exist.

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
As a physically disabled person, I would actually be a teensy bit offended if they were to introduce a character who, say, is in a wheelchair or nearly in one; just to have them in there. Though it would be nifty in a stupid way if said trainer was a fighting type trainer, since they always portray Fighting Type Users as being highly fit and athletic (with the exception of Kai/Shan who is overweight and possibly Chuck). I look at them and say "Heh, that ain't me."

;308;Nemmeh;107;