• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should the 'Flying' type be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonikku

Kanto Starter Fan
Theres always been much discussion over Pokemon typings and how they've been fairly limited to two slots, and we would need at least triple typings so every pokemon would get the types they deserve. This shouldn't be the case.

The best way to solve the problem would be to alter the 'Flying' type or even remove it altogether. Its the only type which seems to take the potential away from many Pokemon by taking up their second type slot, as the capability of flight is very common. Its an action, and should be considered more of an ability than anything. I wouldn't understand why flygon, reshiram and other dragons get to have their own unique types.

;017;

This is why I think a suitable typing would be a 'Bird' type, given to Pokemon like Skarmory, Pidgey, Dodrio and so on, alongside the moves like gust, arial ace and tornado. It would be more obvious why the Flying type has its strengths and weaknesses in the first place, and Pokemon which don't fall into the category of Birds could then finally recieve their own unique second typings whilst still being able to levitate and have access to Bird(flying) type moves.

Thoughts on this idea?

Last edited:

Ememew

Emerald Mew
Theres always been much discussion over Pokemon typings and how they've been fairly limited to two slots, and we would need at least triple typings so every pokemon would get the types they deserve. This shouldn't be the case.

The best way to solve the problem would be to alter the 'Flying' type or even remove it altogether. Its the only type which seems to take the potential away from many Pokemon by taking up their second type slot, as the capability of flight is very common. Its an action, and should be considered more of an ability than anything. I wouldn't understand why flygon, reshiram and other dragons get to have their own unique types, whilst poor old bedrill has to use up his second typing just because he owns a pair of wings.

;017;

This is why I think a suitable typing would be a 'Bird' type, given to Pokemon like Skarmory, Pidgey, Dodrio and so on, alongside the moves like gust, arial ace and tornado. It would be more obvious why the Flying type has its strengths and weaknesses in the first place, and Pokemon which don't fall into the category of Birds could then finally recieve their own unique second typings whilst still being able to levitate and have access to Bird(flying) type moves.

Thoughts on this idea?

Beedrill is Bug/Poison anyway, not Flying. And I think "Flying" is called "Bird-type" in Japan.

Anyway, there's more to Flying than being immune to Ground (i.e. Fighting resistance), so Flying serves it's purpose as a type. Things don't "give up" a secondary type to become Flying, they were set to be flying by Gamefreak, who wanted them to have that type combination over alternatives. I see no need to remove it.

Dattebayo

Banned
^ Flying type moves are rarely used in competitive battles, so they're useless in terms of offense, but they can be decent in terms of defense on certain types.

Sonikku

Kanto Starter Fan
Beedrill is Bug/Poison anyway, not Flying. And I think "Flying" is called "Bird-type" in Japan.

Bedrill wasn't a bad example, just the wrong one. :')

And yes, Bird-type was originally in place of Flying-type in the early stages of development. It was changed to Flying-type, because not all Pokemon with wings, like Butterfree or Charizard, would be birds, thus needed a secondary type to represent their ability to fly.

This was back in the day of 151 Pokemon and no abilities however, so then it seemed to make sense, but if Pokemon had originated in the form of the more modern instalments, it would be a different story.

Skull-Kid

If you have a look at all the Flying-type Pokemon, almost(Gyarados and Tropius being notable exceptions)all of them are birds or bugs. It makes sense they would be part Flying-type. Gamefreak haven't done it to ruin a Pokemons potential. They do it because it makes sense.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
^ Flying type moves are rarely used in competitive battles, so they're useless in terms of offense, but they can be decent in terms of defense on certain types.

Actually in today's meta with the fighting types around, its not as useless as you may think. At first a lot of people dismissed Tornadus because of lacking the electric and ground typing its brethren share. But, no type is immune to flying, which means Tornadus can spam hurricane all day long in the rain without something being immune to it.

One of the problems though, is that flying doesn't have many good users. Fly and Bounce are terrible moves because of the two turn deal. Brave Bird users are few and far between. And the ones that get moves like that usually have other problems. E.G. Staraptor being SR weak. So its not a useless type, but it is somewhat mediocre compared to other typings.

fhqwhgads

4. Golbat
5. Scyther
6. Gyarados
7. Dragonite
8. Ledyba
9. Ledian
10. Crobat
11. Togetic
12. Hoppip
13. Skiploom
14. Jumpluff
15. Yanma
16. Gligar
17. Mantine
18. Beautifly
19. Masquerain
20. Ninjask
21. Tropius
22. Salamence
23. Rayquaza
24. Mothim
25. Combee
26. Vespiquen
27. Drifloon
28. Drifblim
29. Mantyke
30. Togekiss
31. Yanmega
32. Rotom
33. Shaymin
34. Arceus
35. Woobat
36. Swoobat
37. Sigilyph
38. Emolga
39. Tornadus
40. Thundurus
41. Landorus

Satori

ʮɳȿʈɵҏҏɐɓʟɝ
The only thing I hate about Flying types is that alot of them are Normal/Flying

legendarypokemonmaster

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer

Anyway, there's more to Flying than being immune to Ground (i.e. Fighting resistance), so Flying serves it's purpose as a type. Things don't "give up" a secondary type to become Flying, they were set to be flying by Gamefreak, who wanted them to have that type combination over alternatives. I see no need to remove it.

Nope, according to Bulbapedia, Flying-type is called Flying-type in Japan.

Anyways, I think this is a bad decision. If it's removed altogether, what would happen to Flying-types that don't look like birds like Zubat?

Dattebayo

Banned
Actually in today's meta with the fighting types around, its not as useless as you may think.

Same can be said with the once dominant Psychic types, and they're the better choice.

One of the problems though, is that flying doesn't have many good users. Fly and Bounce are terrible moves because of the two turn deal. Brave Bird users are few and far between. And the ones that get moves like that usually have other problems. E.G. Staraptor being SR weak. So its not a useless type, but it is somewhat mediocre compared to other typings.

What about Sky Drop? It's a two-turn move that prevents the opponent from switching in. Plus STAB will increase its BP to 120. Let's not forget Aer*** Ace, though Smogon users will never use it for other non-flying Pokemon like Serperior and Heracross in terms of type coverage.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I think the reason there isnt a Bird type already is because there wouldnt be many differences between that and the Flying type :/

In terms of advantages and disadvantages that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.