• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should the 'Flying' type be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

legendarypokemonmaster

Oh wow, woops sorry, I misread just thought resistances.

ASB

Weather Team Hater
No... just no.

Magnegross

peepee ding dong
I always thought Flying as a type was a little weird. It would feel more natural if it were something such as "wind".

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
There are a lot of pokemon that can fly that aren't birds. So no, they should keep the flying type.

Plus, if they did get rid of the flying type, they'd have to retype all of the pokemon that AREN'T birds (Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, etc).

legendarypokemonmaster

Noooooooope nope. That would be weird, it's fine how it is.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
You're spitting hairs and arguing semantics. First off, the original programming was for a Bird-type, but was scratched during testing; see Missingno. Secondly, all flying-type Pokemon do in fact fly, glide, etc., so it's pointless to argue against it. (Gyarados is just Godly enough to be considered Flying and pull off an awkwardly effective Bounce on anyone who argues.)

Lastly, Zapdos' access to it's second typing is what differentiates it from other electric-types and makes it such a defensive brawler competitively. The like goes for Gliscor. So arguing that "flying-type as a secondary type is not effective" isn't really valid. And if this is all for asthetics, then really no one is going to be content.

Ememew

Emerald Mew
Ah, so that's where I must have misheard the flying=bird from. I'd seen it referenced somewhere but never bothered looking for the full details about it having been scrapped in production. Anyway, as I said before, Gamefreak knows what they're doing when they type Pokemon, so they gave Flying Pokemon that type for a reason.

Just saying "replace it with levitate to free up the second type" doesn't really do anything. Levitate only protects Pokemon from Ground moves, Flying has a number of weaknesses and resistances associated with it, changing how it's played. Also, that would eat up an ability slot (Gyarados's Intimidate/Moxie, for example, or Tropius's Harvest/Solar Power/Chlorophyll, Mantine's Water Absorb . . . you get the idea).

It isn't like they "gave up" a second type to replace it with Flying (or whatever you would prefer the type that flies to be named). I personally don't mind the name "Flying" for the type, but really, no Pokemon were mis-typed in the making of the games.

Last edited:

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
We've reached a point where types don't need to be altered or it upsets the balance of the game. I'm happy where we are now, why change it?

Ampersand

How about 'Air' instead of flying. I also hate the name 'Flying'

I've thought this same thing for a while and argued it in another thread. Just rename 'flying' to 'air' or 'wind' type...a lot of other rpgs utilize the wind element along with others like fire, ice etc. Flying type makes no sense...as there are so many pokemon who can fly but are actually not flying type, nor could they produce air or wind based attacks. Having the ability to fly shouldnt warrant a type slot....its the pokemons mode of transport...by that logic there should be a walking and swimming type as well lol. If they tweaked the game mechanics a bit...they could make it so that pokemon like venomoth (bug/poison) can not be hit by earth elemental attacks...one way to do this is by increasing the ability slots. If you can have more than one type, why not more than one ability?

So something like Pidgeot would be a straight up Air type (because it can produce moves like whirlwind) with the added ability of flight. (no need for normal as a second typing). It would still possess the same weaknesses and strengths as a 'flying type'...meaning weak to electricity..strong to bug etc...except this way it makes more sense. This then opens up the possibility of future pokemon being an Air type (meaning something that can manipulate air/wind etc) without having to actually fly.

Last edited:

Ememew

Emerald Mew
I've thought this same thing for a while and argued it in another thread. Just rename 'flying' to 'air' or 'wind' type...a lot of other rpgs utilize the wind element along with others like fire, ice etc. Flying type makes no sense...as there are so many pokemon who can fly but are actually not flying type, nor could they produce air or wind based attacks. Having the ability to fly shouldnt warrant a type slot....its the pokemons mode of transport...by that logic there should be a walking and swimming type as well lol. If they tweaked the game mechanics a bit...they could make it so that pokemon like venomoth (bug/poison) can not be hit by earth elemental attacks...one way to do this is by increasing the ability slots. If you can have more than one type, why not more than one ability?

So something like Pidgeot would be a straight up Air type (because it can produce moves like whirlwind) with the added ability of flight. (no need for normal as a second typing). It would still possess the same weaknesses and strengths as a 'flying type'...meaning weak to electricity..strong to bug etc...except this way it makes more sense. This then opens up the possibility of future pokemon being an Air type (meaning something that can manipulate air/wind etc) without having to actually fly.

Because a Bronzong with both Levitate and Heatproof or a Gyarados with both Intimidate and Moxie sound so fun to fight? I get what you're saying, but I prefer the one ability, one item, up to two types format. It's not like any Pokemon were "mis-typed." Changing it's name to "Air" might make more sense (especially for stuff like Gyarados), but the idea that changing the name of the type would change who had that type is a little odd. Plus, there's Tornadus. The pure Flying Pokemon that pretty much exemplifies the "wind/air" component of the Flying-type. After seeing this called flying, I'm pretty sure most people would realize that Flying basically means, in Poke-world terms, "air/wind" already.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
I think your rant is coming from the fact that your favourite Poke is stuck with a part Flying type, while some dragons like Reshiram get to have their own unique typing.

yeminied

You want to change the types of all Pokémon with the Flying type?

This will upset the balance of the game. At the moment I would have thought the type chart was in more or less equilibrium, as best you could get for 17 types.

Flying is a good type with many resistances to key attacking types.

And you realise the changing of Pokémon types has only happened for seven Pokémon, five of which are the same and two in the same line. Never has something as large scale as you want has ever happened, nor will it ever happen.

tl;dr changing the Flying type is a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.