• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should the 'Flying' type be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought this same thing for a while and argued it in another thread. Just rename 'flying' to 'air' or 'wind' type...a lot of other rpgs utilize the wind element along with others like fire, ice etc. Flying type makes no sense...as there are so many pokemon who can fly but are actually not flying type, nor could they produce air or wind based attacks. Having the ability to fly shouldnt warrant a type slot....its the pokemons mode of transport...by that logic there should be a walking and swimming type as well lol. If they tweaked the game mechanics a bit...they could make it so that pokemon like venomoth (bug/poison) can not be hit by earth elemental attacks...one way to do this is by increasing the ability slots. If you can have more than one type, why not more than one ability?

So something like Pidgeot would be a straight up Air type (because it can produce moves like whirlwind) with the added ability of flight. (no need for normal as a second typing). It would still possess the same weaknesses and strengths as a 'flying type'...meaning weak to electricity..strong to bug etc...except this way it makes more sense. This then opens up the possibility of future pokemon being an Air type (meaning something that can manipulate air/wind etc) without having to actually fly.

i kind of agree with you there on second ability's. then the game would make a bit more sense to some pokemon. take flygon, its refered to in the pokedex as being the spirit of the desert + it can fly so it would make much sense to have it sand stream/ levitate. and to that guy who said gyrados with moxie/intimidate they could work in different abilitys such as making it have levitate/ intimidate (then they could finally change it to dragon water)

onto air/bird/aero types
that would be a bit dissasterous seeing as how all types now have an almost perfect balence system (besides poison types who seem to have gotten the short end of the stick) that would make a change almost as big as the steel dark inclusion but it would be unessasary compared to that

Venomrec

It seem more like you dont like your flying types that aren't bird getting ohko by stone edge. I think its bad idea.

Sonikku

Kanto Starter Fan
That's a little over-complicated. This is a kid's game, right?

Not as complicated as im making it out to be. If its a bird, its a bird. If it can fly, it can fly and thus has the basic princables of the flying type but does not need to be typed for it.

Its not like Pokemon has EVER been simple. The fact that theres 17 types, all and weak and strong against something is a lot to take in for anyone. Not to mention catch-rates, breeding, egg groups and so on.

I stand corrected.

Well gee, thanks for spotting out that obvious typo.

Now will you care to give an actual argument or is your head to far up your own a**?

Last edited:

Ampersand

onto air/bird/aero types
that would be a bit dissasterous seeing as how all types now have an almost perfect balence system (besides poison types who seem to have gotten the short end of the stick) that would make a change almost as big as the steel dark inclusion but it would be unessasary compared to that

not really...an air type would still possess pretty much the same weaknesses and strengths as a flying type..its basically just a renaming of the type...and the ability to dodge earth moves wouldnt be because the pokemon was an air type..it would be because it has the ability of flight or levitation. example: dodrio as an air type but can be hit by ground moves because it isnt a pokemon that can fly or hover. imagine the possible new pokemon that could be created in future generations if it went this way. you have a very grounded, yet air/wind/aero type pokemon that could shoot out high pressured blasts of wind from its hands or something. not sure about 'bird' pokemon tho, thats almost an entirely different thing altogether.

Fast_shoesXx

They don't really care about the effects this has on competitive play or the tiers fans put together.

I understand your point, it's legit. Just some theorymoning on my part to make common birds more worthwhile, but it's true the fact they are common indicates "normal."

Sonikku

Kanto Starter Fan
not really...an air type would still possess pretty much the same weaknesses and strengths as a flying type..its basically just a renaming of the type...and the ability to dodge earth moves wouldnt be because the pokemon was an air type..it would be because it has the ability of flight or levitation. example: dodrio as an air type but can be hit by ground moves because it isnt a pokemon that can fly or hover. imagine the possible new pokemon that could be created in future generations if it went this way. you have a very grounded, yet air/wind/aero type pokemon that could shoot out high pressured blasts of wind from its hands or something. not sure about 'bird' pokemon tho, thats almost an entirely different thing altogether.

But you're defeating the point of changing the flying type at all. An ''air'' type would make even less sense.

manaphee

新たなる誓い
wasn't the flying type originally programmed as the bird type in red/blue? someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i've heard that missingno.'s types were bird and normal. ._.

Theres always been much discussion over Pokemon typings and how they've been fairly limited to two slots, and we would need at least triple typings so every pokemon would get the types they deserve. This shouldn't be the case.

The best way to solve the problem would be to alter the 'Flying' type or even remove it altogether. Its the only type which seems to take the potential away from many Pokemon by taking up their second type slot, as the capability of flight is very common. Its an action, and should be considered more of an ability than anything. I wouldn't understand why flygon, reshiram and other dragons get to have their own unique types.

;017;

This is why I think a suitable typing would be a 'Bird' type, given to Pokemon like Skarmory, Pidgey, Dodrio and so on, alongside the moves like gust, arial ace and tornado. It would be more obvious why the Flying type has its strengths and weaknesses in the first place, and Pokemon which don't fall into the category of Birds could then finally recieve their own unique second typings whilst still being able to levitate and have access to Bird(flying) type moves.

Thoughts on this idea?

R/B/Y missingno is bird type lol

Ampersand

But you're defeating the point of changing the flying type at all. An ''air'' type would make even less sense.

no im not. when i say air, i dont mean something that is up in the air, i mean something that can utilize air or wind to attack. the point of changing the flying type to air/wind is a. to get rid of the ridiculous notion that the type is based on how the pokemon transports itself...and b. to correct the illogical ground negation certain pokemon like dodrio have...even though they cant fly. this would make it so that ground can hit an air/wind based pokemon...unless of course it was a pokemon that could fly.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
OP clearly wishes that Charizard and Gyarados were Dragon types.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
W-what?! You kidding, right? Ahem, let me explain.

-To have a "bird" Type wouldn't make any sense, for pokemon typings shouldn't be based off animals but ELEMENTAL FORCES. Dragon is the only exeption to the rule, but that's mainly because it's still more of a "concept" rather than an actual animal. So saying that any pokemon that's a flying type but is not based off a bird shouldn't be flying is as stupid as saying that Haxorus shouldn't be a dragon type. Not all birds are, nor should be flying (see Blaziken and Empoleon), and not all flyings are, nor should be birds (kami trio, Yanmega ecc.).

-Flying moves can sometimes be learned by non flying types. So what? That happens for every other typing as well. Hydreigon and Skuntank can learn flamethrower, but this doesen't mean they should be fire types. What do you think would become of pokemon if everyone could only learn moves of its same typing?

So no, sorry but what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

EDIT: Dodrio CAN fly people. His dex entry (can't remember which one) says that even without wings, he jumps so high and manovrates his path, doing something that's actually very similar to flying.

Last edited:

Soluna

Flying is fine as it is.

I don't see why there always needs to be complained about certain things in Pokemon? Just because other games use the element 'Wind / Air' doesn't mean Pokemon has to. Don't touch the Flying type and leave it be. Seriously.

Also, what's next. 'Light type' ?
Why can't some of you accept that Pokemon is different. That it is balanced, that it will work itself out.

Look ;
  • Is Wind weak to Lightning, Rock or even Ice? No! It isn't.
  • Is Air weak to Lightning, Rock or even Ice? No! It isn't.
  • Is Flying weak to Lightning, Rock and Ice? Yes. Most have wings don't they? Obviously it would be harder to survive with those circumstances than Air or Wind.

You could even argue that both Wind and Air would be super effective against the Rock type.
-- Flying would've been changed by now if it weren't the right typing. Honestly.

Last edited:

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
I'm not saying it should be changed or done away with but pre gen 5, Flying didn't have a stand-alone pokemon. Plus, it has always been a secondary type. Just seems kinda strange.

Witchan

Shauntal, FTW!
No, they shouldn't be replaced. I just like it how they're using the type on various pokemon such as Staraptor and Honchkrow, and not to mention that it has a deadly 120 base power move.

TheAwesomeOne

Without a Flying type, too many Pokémon would be overpowered.
Flying types aren't that bad, I mean, where would In-Gamers be without the move Fly?

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
Not all flying types are birds and not all birds are flying types. Got 2 starters that prove that. (torchic/combusken/blaziken, piplup/prinplup/empoleon) Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.