• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should the 'Flying' type be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
Go for it!

crimson vengance

Oliek23Productions
Just trying to think of all of them :S

Probs be:
Pidgeot
Swellow
Staraptor
Archeops
Braviary
and honchkrow

EDIT:

I do like my all one type teams :)
Currently working towards the one in my trainer card! Dragons are my favorite!

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
off subject but I've thought of doing a turtle/tortoise team
Blastoise
Lapras
Torkoal
Torterra
Carracosta

Last edited:

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
I think that maybe, but with which type? I think that having Drgons and don 't having Flying pokémons would be strange

raquiri

I saw this thread and I was like nah...
Then I was like hmm...
Then I was like nah.

Looking at the list of flying types, there really aren't many where the flying type gets in the way. I guess charizard could be fire/dragon, but that would make it overpowered for a starter. And there are a lot like, say, dragonite and rayquaza. If they weren't flying type they would just be dragon. Then there's drifloon and drifblim, which wouldn't make any sense as a bird type, but being flying balloons is part of their gimmick.

fhqwhgads

There's worse offenders. Lugia is easily in need of a third type(Water/Psychic/Flying).

Porgon-XYZ

Wut are you saying?
Well... without flying types:
1. No Roost
2. No Fly to move around the game
3. Many Flying types will sufer from no second STAB

Flying types are needed in-game and in battling!

2D Thom

Im a tombsone
Well if we wouldn't have flying types we wouldn't have fly. And that's not good. So no. I think flying types are cool.

AmericanPi

Write on
Characteristics of a bird:
- Feathers
- Beak
- Wings... with feathers on them

Pokemon like Charizard and Gyarados DO NOT have feathers, beaks, or wings with feathers on them. As a result, if Flying got changed to Bird, what would happen to them?

Just because a Pokemon can fly doesn't mean it's a bird.

And removing the Flying Type entirely would make me like Pokemon a LOT less... after all, Flying is my absolutely favorite type... just look at my signature. ;)

Izenhime

From a few pages back but....making a bird bird Flying/Bird, sounds nice on paper with it's fighting resistance but....

stealth rock says Hi

All flying/bird would do is double it's resistance AND it's weaknesses.

Flying already resists Bug, grass and fighting, adding bird I would assume is the same

Flying is weak to Rock, ice, electric...again, I would assume bird is the same.

It's rather....pointless if you ask me.

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
^ Flying type moves are rarely used in competitive battles, so they're useless in terms of offense, but they can be decent in terms of defense on certain types.

To answer the starter post, um NO WAY. Flying type is too much a part of the game to be changed or be removed.

and to this ^ , um my lvl 98 Honchkrow can murder the smogon tiers my friend sues, which are completely IV and EV trained

Jory

I've thought this same thing for a while and argued it in another thread. Just rename 'flying' to 'air' or 'wind' type...a lot of other rpgs utilize the wind element along with others like fire, ice etc. Flying type makes no sense...as there are so many pokemon who can fly but are actually not flying type, nor could they produce air or wind based attacks. Having the ability to fly shouldnt warrant a type slot....its the pokemons mode of transport...by that logic there should be a walking and swimming type as well lol. If they tweaked the game mechanics a bit...they could make it so that pokemon like venomoth (bug/poison) can not be hit by earth elemental attacks...one way to do this is by increasing the ability slots. If you can have more than one type, why not more than one ability?

So something like Pidgeot would be a straight up Air type (because it can produce moves like whirlwind) with the added ability of flight. (no need for normal as a second typing). It would still possess the same weaknesses and strengths as a 'flying type'...meaning weak to electricity..strong to bug etc...except this way it makes more sense. This then opens up the possibility of future pokemon being an Air type (meaning something that can manipulate air/wind etc) without having to actually fly.

So I might not know a lot about game mechanics (at all), so shoot me down if you want.

A long while back, when my friend was making dragon Pokémon, she assumed that they would already have the ability to fly. I told her that there was a Flying type for that. Puzzled, she questioned the type, leading me to question it, too. And yes, I do look at Pokémon like Zekrom and Reshiram, dragons that have the ability to fly but do not have it as their second type, leading me to believe that calling the type "flying" is a bit unnecessary, and that a Wind type or Air type, or Sky type would be much better suited than flying. As stated in the quoted post, I believe that the renamed type would not change its weaknesses or strengths. That would upset the game too much.

I agreed with the fact that calling something a "flying" type would make it seem like there should be a "swimming" and "walking" type as well. Those things are just things that Pokémon are capable of, walking, flying, swimming... They're natural things. So I always thought it was useless to call them flying types when there are so many Pokémon out there that can fly that don't have it as their type. I think it should be considered a natural thing, and not a type.

So, when I saw your person's post, I found myself agreeing with you about nearly everything except the second ability thing.

Like someone else stated, how fun would it be to battle against a Pokémon with two abilities like Moxie and Intimidate? And imagine the hacks. *whistles*

No, I have another thing to propose. I believe that every Pokémon should have a Field Ability moveset that is not used in battle. Pokémon have abilities that aren't really considered in battle, and because of the way the mechanics limit them, sometimes cannot be addressed in battle. Some Pokémon can fly, some can dig tunnels, some can swim and dive.

I'm talking about HMs. HMs are annoying; they don't allow you to remove them from a Pokémon's moveset unless you find a move deleter, which, in games like HG, SS, and I'm assuming Silver, Gold, and Crystal (not sure though; I haven't played them yet) you don't get to until the last gym leader.

HMs, in my opinion, just don't need to be taking up slots in a Pokémon's moveset, and instead should be migrated over to a separate moveset that would be programmed with field moves depending on the Pokémon.

Although for the game's sake, you would still have to obtain HMs at the appropriate times, except this time they would go in the field moveset.

As other people have said, though: the game is programmed the way it is for a reason.

So, seeming to have gone off topic, I bring us back around to the type. In my opinion (OPINION), flying should not be a type. Instead, I believe it should be replaced with Wind or Aerial, while still maintaining its weaknesses and strengths. Flyng should remain an HM, a field move, reserved for Pokémon that have the ability to fly but wouldn't necessarily be of the wind or aerial type. Also, any Pokémon that can fly should be able to dodge ground moves, making them immune to ground as well.

Some people say that the flying type doesn't hold Pokémon back, but I think it does in most cases. Take Charizard, for example. I've seen one too many ragecomics about how people are shocked that it isn't part dragon. If field moves are put into effect, Charizard will still be able to fly, but instead of being part flying, it would be part dragon.

Though, why ISN'T Charizard part dragon? Well, it's a starter. I'm pretty sure that would make it more OP than it needs to be.

Though it SEEMS like a game mechanic that would be simple to incorporate, I've also taken the time to consider that they'd have to pick through every single Pokémon and knock off the flying type for every flying Pokémon that SEEMS like it should have some other type instead of flying (Charizard), or maybe they'd just make it one type, and then they'd have to change their weaknesses and strengths and whatnot.

I actually don't think it's that big of a change (shoot me if you want) and would probably improve gameplay rather than upset "the balance". They couldn't do all these fancy things in the first generation of games, but now they can, and I KNOW they're capable of it. Sky's the limit.

What becomes of HM moves used in battle? Well, perhaps they can be used in battle just like abilities and types, and can influence the battle. I just thought it might be easier to understand if field moves were separate from battle. Since the games have now been thrust into a 3D world where the field is going to start getting much more tricky and fun to battle on, why NOT incorporate field moves? Pokémon is ever evolving, and should continue to do so. The games grow with each generation, and that's the point as the world moves on.

I have some counterarguments for myself, however: It's true that renaming it the Wind type or Air type would make less sense, because electricity/lighting and rock don't seem to affect the wind, and most certainly not the air (okay, maybe that last bit's a bit of a lie, but I'm trying not to get too complicated here). (I am rather frond of the name Aerial type, though)

As for Dragon Rage, yeah. This is another thing that would make Charmander OP as a starter. The way you fix that is by making it an egg move so that the starter you get won't have Dragon Rage, but it is still available in its movepool.

For those who have stuck through this probably unnecessarily long post, I thank you for giving this a read, and I hope that what I've said isn't too upsetting or too far out there. I took a lot of time to analyze everyone's point of view and took great care while writing this.

Personally, I'll always be happy wherever the games take me. I'm willing to play any Pokémon game, no matter what it's evolved into, and despite having lots of thoughts about the flying type and other things, I'm happy with the way the games are.

Last edited:

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
Not all fliers are birds (Zubat, Butterfree, Charizard)

A few of them can't manipulate air (Zubat again, Jumpluff)

Not all Flying attacks are wind-based (Aerial Ace, Roost)

And Gyarados... I guess because Dragon was OP then too, they made it flying instead to give opponents a fighting chance.

Flying is a go-to type for anything that has wings and can use them (and even a few that can fly with other means).
Meanwhile, Levitate is for those that float by stranger means. Except Flygon--it has wings, but is Ground/Dragon

I say it should stay. Besides, Fly's my favorite HM by far.

remybutton

Hmm, I like the idea and I agree with how Flying type takes away the potential from a Pokemon. But instead of calling it bird type, I'd rather it be called "Avian type". It's either that or buff Flying altogether.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
This sound like it would work, but I'm against change on something existent from the beginning. Even Gyarados' typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.