• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should the games have a difficult setting?

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I truly think the series needs to have difficult settings. I found the gyms to be easy in B&W. Like just have and easy or difficult setting. The difficult would make all pokemon 10 levels higher then the easy settings and add more trainers to boot.

legendarypokemonmaster

Maybe you could have different difficulty settings, or unlock a more difficult quest when you beat the game, but that would be hard to put into the game.

That would make the games WAY too hard. Think of battling Brock with level 14s while he has level 24s. I don't want to have too much grinding when I play.

Now, a difficulty where they upped the skill level of the trainers (so they used items and better moves more instead of Odor Sleuth 3 times in a row on a Grass type) would be better/interesting.

Part of the reason that this doesn't exist is that it takes a lot of programming and space. The game cartridges would have to be bigger. Also, people would want to have multiple save files for different difficulties, making the cartridge even bigger.

It would take a LONG time and a lot of programmers for that to happen also. At least, I think.

Now, if they come out with a main game on the Wii (where everything is stored on the Wii itself), that might work. Better, at least. But I don't see it happening.

I think this is a good idea in general, but with the current state of gaming and technology, not efficiently possible.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
No, because the age rating is 3+. If they did a 4-year-old would have big trouble with something simple and it could end up being a 7+.

Change the rating pfftttt

McNugget

The Bassist
I'm pretty sure there is already a thread on this...
Anyway, no. I don't see why, your starter pokemon, if you use it throughout the game, determines it's difficulty during the story.

Like in gen 1
Bulbasaur- Slower and easy to use and train, plus most gyms can be beaten easily,
Squirtle- A bit quicker but still fairly easy, has some weaknesses at gyms,
Charmander- Slower, takes time to raise and train, has probably the most weaknesses throughout the game,
I had to train Charizard up to almost Lv.80 to beat Lance for the first time, it was a very fulfilling playthrough.

Last edited:

Axel

Orange Champion
The games are only as difficult as you make them. There's a reason why there's so many self-imposed challenges on the Internet. The games also get easier as you get more experienced, too.

pokemaster001

well, while I'd enjoy it, it's kinda hard to make an RPG "difficult" because you can just grind until you can win...I suppose it could make it MORE difficult, but you don't need to really
think about it, nuzlocke, monotypes, there's plenty of ways to make the game harder...I trained pokemon with an EXP share once I started getting bored...and it was AWESOME! I just barely beat N and Ghetsis after training a LOT on victory road. The game was actually kinda hard even without extra difficulty anyway now that I think about it

GuardChomp

(︶_︶)╭∩╮
Hell Yeah! Us older pokemon players have been breezing through the game for years always finding it too easy. It should be a setting dettermined at the start of your journey when they ask you easy, normal, or hard. Hard mode would boost enemy levels by two, give them (possible, but not always) egg & TM moves, & Even have Ace trainers with specific strategies like TR, Gravity, Stall & such. Trainers(may but not always) have more difficult pokemon, or mons from other regions. Upon beating the Champ in hard mode you should get an extra money bonus, Some rare items like rare candies, max revieves, & lucky eggs, And you should get a TM of your choice. your trainer card should display what difficulty you used.

The games are only as difficult as you make them. There's a reason why there's so many self-imposed challenges on the Internet. The games also get easier as you get more experienced, too.

I definitely agree, but B/W kind of gave you the game. I mean, there was always an easily obtainable Pokemon that was SE against the next gym. They made it TOO easy, in my opinion.

However, there were so many new additions and takeaways in the games that I think this was mainly a test. It often happens in video games that when they try new technology, they make a game for it. Such as Assassin's Creed 1. It was quite repetitive.

In the next main game, they might make it slightly harder. R/S/E had a reasonable difficulty, I thought.

With Pokemon growing faster than ever before, they need to make the game possible for those newer people. I myself find that I need to grind every once in a while, and newer people often don't have a comprehension on grinding.

EDIT: GuardChomp, while I definitely agree with you, I don't think that will happen anytime soon b/c it would take a long time to make and it would take a lot of space. Not to mention that many people will want multiple save files to try out the difficulties w/o overwriting the past data.

Last edited:

Porgon-XYZ

Wut are you saying?
They could put in a "hard mode" that you can access after you beat the game.

randomspot555

Yes, this has been debated before.

Often, I see people post stuff like they plowed through the game with their starters and other similarly powered Pokemon.

Whoa, wait, you, an older gamer, think a game made for children is easy? color me shocked.

Use different Pokemon that aren't as versatile or powerful. Make it more difficult.

There is a difficulty setting. You, the player, control it by what Pokemon you choose and how you use items and all that jazz.

But yeah, if you plow through the game with Speed Boost Blaziken and Haxorus and Resihiram, don't be surprised if it becomes really easy.

ScytheSwipe

Its whats for dinner
Well I find that the games don't really need a difficulty setting because in my opinion the battle frontier and battle subway are the things that are reserved for the older kids who are looking for the challenge. Also with the advent of the fc you can pretty much play whom you desire and can pick your own difficulty this way.

I find pokemon to be like a game of chess; It depends on not only who you play but the way in which you use the pieces.

McNugget

The Bassist
well I beat N and the pokemon in eastern unova were about 20+ lvs ABOVE my team w/o transfer

And I did a Fire Red run with a caterpie and then butterfree, it was SO hard but most rewarding, you have to use pokemon that aren't starters to up your difficulty.

GuardChomp

(︶_︶)╭∩╮
Memory IS a huge problem. & to the first post, your Idea is outrageos. 10 levels!!! thats a great idea! I bet I'd be able to Brocks lv 24 Onix with my lv 14 pikachu/charmander! Oh wait...

Porgon-XYZ

Wut are you saying?
We will evolve all of our pokemon before each gym match!

Professor Poke

The game is easy because we have unlimited access to hp/status restores. Try fighting Ghetsis with your original weak pokemon with only 2 full restores. It's near impossible.

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
The game is easy because we have unlimited access to hp/status restores. Try fighting Ghetsis with your original weak pokemon with only 2 full restores. It's near impossible.

That's never going to happen, otherwise we would be stuck on the gyms.