1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Should the main cast feature for once an adult character?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Slapstick-Olivia, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Slapstick-Olivia

Slapstick-Olivia Well-Known Member

I know that Pokémon is a kids show, and I know that for a kids show you kinda have to have also kid characters in the main focus. This is kinda a rule that animation has to follow now. We can see it at the new Ducktales reboot where even thought Scrooge McDuck is still technically the main character, the show focus more on the kids rather than him.

But anyway, my question is, do you guys want to have at least for once series an adult character in the main hero cast?

I kinda actually would like to see that to be honest. It could actually lead to some different interactions that we are not used to see.
    Sun and Moon actually showed me that a character like Ash can actually interact very well with adult people like Kukui and Burnet, who are kinda like an unofficial father and mother figure for him.

If I would choose a type of adult character, it has to be either like Kukui and Burnet, who will act like parents for Ash or someone like Olivia, who is an adult, but kinda acts like a goofy child sometimes and makes the kid characters look more mature in comparison.

Anyway, would you like to see for once an adult character in the main cast and if yes, what type of character should it be?

2. AznKei

AznKei Rave ’til the Earth’s End

I think the main purpose of having an adult character in the main cast is to be a mentor of the main character, especially if the latter character is a kid, and an adult character would already being through many obstacles/challenges in the past so he/she would kinda lack the drive to progress further, which would be harder to develop in a long term during the series, unless the producers/writers can create an adult specific goal in which I doubt it would be appropriate for kids for being the target demographic of this show.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  3. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

I don’t see why it would hurt the show. An adult in the cast could easily serve as a mentor and chauffeur if a car is necessary and there isn’t a Nurse Joy or Officer Jenny to give everyone a lift. And we do know that adults in the Pokémon universe also participate in battles all the time as Gym Leaders, Frontier Brains, Elite 4 members and Champions.

4. satopi

satopi All hail Satomine Night!

I always saw Cilan as a young adult or maybe he's a teenager like Brock?

I don't see anything wrong with having an adult character on the main cast. They did have them temporarily (Alexa, Juniper and her grandfather, Looker, and Cynthia I think) but they didn't do anything and made brief appearances aside from Cynthia/Looker who never really traveled with them.

5. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Kiyone best girl in the Tenchi Muyo franchise :D

I guess it kind of is already happening with Kukui, but i wouldn't mind if there was an adult that was apart of the main cast if the next group is back to just 3 main characters again

Trey pokes and Ignition like this.
  6. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this today after seeing the 21th movie trailers. three of six main characters are adults. If they can be main characters in movies, they can be in the anime too.

7. I wouldn't want to see one.

As it's a kid's show, any character is going to be interpreted from the perspective of children. You'd get a simplified version of what an adult character is - mostly experience, reliability, and maturity - and none of the things that make adult characters interesting.

For as much as he's part of the main cast, Kukui is a good example of this. We only ever see Kukui as a teacher and guardian for Ash, but we never see all the other responsibilities he has, the stresses of his work life, anything other than a romanticised depiction of married life, etc.

I don't think we'd be able to tell the difference between an adult and, say, a teenager like Brock or Cilan.

8. satopi

I gotta disagree with you (for once). This usually happens in most children's media. In a way, a topic like the stresses of work life, marriage issues, and such doesn't seem to have it's place here. Even though mature topics like these do happen in real life, Pokemon is an escape from reality to most and would we really want to see Kukui and Burnet fighting over petty stuff and yelling at the top of their lungs when they just got married just for the sake of realism? They're probably still in the honeymoon phase and we don't see much of their relationship to begin with. I don't mind seeing how Pokemon plays out these themes but what gave me perspective on this topic was what a friend told me when saying why she didn't like Regular Show, a cartoon aimed at probably teens/adults but aired on a children's network. What child would understand the concept of stress from potentially losing a job, being in a committed relationship, the downfalls of breaking up, maintaining bills, dropping out of college, and such, something only an adult would grow to relate on.

For what it's worth, Kukui has mentioned having to work longer at the lab and how his coworkers were bugging him about it in the episode where Ash and Sophocles came back from the mall, we've seen him fall asleep on his desk from the workload, since getting married, Kukui and Burnet share the chores and continued working their respective fields which is something I'm glad they kept instead of making Burnet be a housewife and making her cook and handle the majority of the housework. Kukui is still seen as a flawed human instead of a glorified authority figure like Cynthia. He maintains his composure when he has to, not showing fear in the face of danger to not alarm those he's protecting the few times we've had seen him battle like rescuing Burnet with his Braviary. But outside of that, we've seen him acting normally in his private life. No adult has been shown expressing some sort of enthusiasm watching something that wasn't the local news like Detective Raki, panicking when their secret of being Royal Mask is in danger of getting exposed, giving their live in student special privileges because of their own bias, nor nearly as much focus as Kukui has gotten. Most of the time, the adults have either one note gags like Cynthia's ice cream gag or Professor Sycamore's marvelous catchphrase, appear only as an authority figure for a serious situation (Looker, Champion Diantha, Officer Jenny, Nurse Joy, Giovanni), or are there just to give out information. I wouldn't go as far to say there's no distinction between being a teenager and adult in Pokemon when even kids/teenagers have way more leeway than usual in their world than in real life. What separates a teenager from an adult is mainly their appearance and demeanor. Despite the added leeway, adults are shown to have less time to goof off, focused more so on their research and spending time with their families. They're more likely to want to settle down, stuck in one place, and be loyal to their personal responsibilities. Brock and Cilan were more allowed to travel the world and discover what they wanted to do because they are still young and got out of their role of Gym Leader because of their siblings. And the same thing happened to Misty but in reverse where her sisters selfishly put all their responsibilities onto her and let themselves travel the world because of their little sister. At least in SM, the adults and authority figures are shown as more human and less as one note gags like the relationship between Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy, Mallow's father being shown as codependent, the relationship between Jessie and Matori, Olivia in general, Ulu's complicated relationship with Ia, and probably a few I didn't mention like some of the Pokemon that were portrayed as older.

Slapstick-Olivia likes this.
  9. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko Take to the Skies!

I kinda feel, more or less, that we already had that with both Brock and Cilan. And I liked both characters. ^^

Sceptile Leaf Blade likes this.
  10. Ignition

Ignition Torracat is Ash's only good Alolan Pokémon

Nah. I'm fine with temporary characters like Professors or Looker, but I don't want an adult in the main cast

11. This is kinda my point. Adult issues aren't suited for children's media for numerous reasons, including, as you point out, that no children's fantasy wants to consider the realities of adult life. I'm not saying that's wrong at all, just pointing out that it's typically a feature of this kind of story.

Hence, how adults are portrayed in a children's show is inherently reductive. They're boiled down to what a kid would typically associate with adulthood, while usually given some role of responsibility that would only burden a child character.

However, I feel that an adult character on a main cast has to be more than that. It's easy to have adults performing a role in the background where detail isn't required, but a main character has to offer more. As we've established, that something more might not be suitable for a show of Pokemon's nature.

satopi likes this.
  12. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I think it would be difficult to do. Yes we have Kukui and Burnet in the SM anime, but their role, while rather heartwarming and not 'useless' per se, is managed so as to be very un-intrusive. Notice neither of them are in the tense scenes or any instances having an adult would actually be useful besides giving helpful advise. The show still wants Ash and the other kids to be the proactive ones who solve things, and SM's premise makes it easy to do for the most part.

This same cautious dabbling occurred in earlier travelling format series, experienced adults only appear odd times it's convenient to have them offer help or lay waste, putting them in permanently with the protagonist would take out any tension, or otherwise require them to be 'worfed' on a routine basis so the kids still need to do the work (eg. Officer Jenny being taken out by TR in several instances she appears).

Guys like Brock are examples of them trying to put more experienced people into the main group, and this same dynamic occurs, them mostly only appearing for mental support and their superior abilities not being put into play much in fear it would make the other younger protagonists seem unremarkable.

13. satopi

Hunter J was a good main villain who was an adult. Same with Pierce despite him never returning due to unfortunate events. I'd like to see charismastic or sociopathic adult aged villains who pose a threat again. They're way more amusing to have than in the main cast.

14. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

A common problem is that the more serious adult villains are frequently conveyed as WAY OUT of the league of the kid protagonists, to the point the latter nearly always need dumb luck or a DEM to stop them (eg. Ash being useless against Giovanni or Hunter J until the powers of legendaries intervened). The gym leaders/kahunas are about the only happy medium that can be outdone by the kids while still managing to look competent about it (besides maybe TR on a very good day).

satopi likes this.
  15. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I wouldn't see the need for an adult cast member. Satoshi knows a lot about Pokemon, so I don't think he needs a permanent adult guide or mentor for instance.

16. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Above and beyond. [I]The[/I] DP critic

Don't 10-year-olds count as adults in the Pokemon world?

And SM has Kukui as a main cast member, so isn't your wish already satisfied?

17. AznKei

AznKei Rave ’til the Earth’s End

Why? Because they can travel on their own, unlike the real world?

I always thought Kukui as a secondary character, the main cast is Ash and the 5 Alolan Classmates. We see lots of promotion arts with them together sans Kukui, even more when they become the Ultra Guardians.

18. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

No, not unless they age Ash and the others up. The main cast always worked so well because everyone is only a few years apart and can perfectly relate to one another. Having an adult around would just take that away. It's far too late for an adult to be a mentor to Ash, which is the only way I'd accept an adult in the cast.

And I absolutely despise Kukui.... so I don't really want another adult around every damn episode

19. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

Cedric is her dad

Interesting.. why do you despise him?

satopi likes this.
  20. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Part of the cast's appeal throughout the series for me has been that the characters can relate to each other, so I also think that adding an adult might ruin the cast's chemistry.