• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should the main cast feature for once an adult character?

AdvancedGenGenesect

The ramifications of having an adult would not be good for the shows. It's seldom that the writers of an anime such as pokemon add a adult into the main cast. The only time that happened was for an anime called Deltora Quest where the main character was inexperienced and would've definitely DIED if he was on his own. Not to mention that it was an adaptation of an english book where he was accompanied by an adult, which just shows us that an anime like pokemon would never have this happen.

Daizy

I call you honey
No it's a kid's show so I'm fine with seeing Ash hang out with kids his own age with as few adults involved in the plot as possible.

Slapstick-Olivia

I don't know guys. Having for once an adult character could work, if they handle him/her correctly. I always wonder, why nowadays every animated show that aims for kids must feature also a kid as the main focus. Back when I was a kid we had other animated kids shows that featured adult characters: Donald Duck, Scrooge McDuck, Baloo etc. I mean, if it worked back than, why shouldn't it now?

I think if you choose the right adult character, it could work. Like for example a character like Olivia would work in my eyes very good with Ash and the other kids, since she is kinda a bit like a child in some cases.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
As it's a kid's show, any character is going to be interpreted from the perspective of children. You'd get a simplified version of what an adult character is - mostly experience, reliability, and maturity - and none of the things that make adult characters interesting.

For as much as he's part of the main cast, Kukui is a good example of this. We only ever see Kukui as a teacher and guardian for Ash, but we never see all the other responsibilities he has, the stresses of his work life, anything other than a romanticised depiction of married life, etc.

I don't think we'd be able to tell the difference between an adult and, say, a teenager like Brock or Cilan.
This is a good point. An adult character in a children's show is going to be interpreted from the perspective of children, the target audience. So, regardless of how interesting the adult character is, we would probably get a simplified version of an adult character.

Brock and Cilan, despite being only teenagers, more or less served the role of the adult in the group. Even Clemont, when he wasn't being browbeaten by his sister, served as the adult of the XY group. They were the mature ones, the knowledgeable ones. An adult main character would serve the same role, but might not be as relatable to the target audience due to the larger age group between him/her and the child characters.

Ash himself also might not bond as well with an adult character. He is well past the point where he needs a mentor; and he is less likely to form a brotherly relationship with an adult main character, due to the age difference. An adult main character would potentially change the dynamic of the main group.

I don't know guys. Having for once an adult character could work, if they handle him/her correctly. I always wonder, why nowadays every animated show that aims for kids must feature also a kid as the main focus. Back when I was a kid we had other animated kids shows that featured adult characters: Donald Duck, Scrooge McDuck, Baloo etc. I mean, if it worked back than, why shouldn't it now?
Why do most animated shows aimed toward children feature children as the main characters? Because the target audience is children, and people tend to relate best to characters who are around their own age and/or have similar life experience. It's for the same reason that many shounen anime feature main characters who are preteens or teenagers; that's the age of the target audience. Sure, years ago, children's shows might have featured adult characters, but if you think about it, those characters often had childish traits that were still relatable to young children.

DatsRight

Brock and Cilan, despite being only teenagers, more or less served the role of the adult in the group. Even Clemont, when he wasn't being browbeaten by his sister, served as the adult of the XY group. They were the mature ones, the knowledgeable ones. An adult main character would serve the same role, but might not be as relatable to the target audience due to the larger age group between him/her and the child characters.

Ash himself also might not bond as well with an adult character. He is well past the point where he needs a mentor; and he is less likely to form a brotherly relationship with an adult main character, due to the age difference. An adult main character would potentially change the dynamic of the main group.

Clemont was sort of an in-between, since he often looked up to Ash and there were points Ash himself felt like the senior of the group due to his experience. Clemont was even shorter than the other two companions besides his sister, which gave a stranger perspective. I always wondered whether he was meant to be older, or just a child prodigy that could be mature or under confident comic relief when the time fit.

Kukui feels like an interesting take with Ash however, since he is a father figure without quite abolishing Ash's development, maybe due to his underplayed involvement and the fact Ash is in lots of different territory in Alola, so having someone still need to mentor him makes sense. There are times Kukui himself feels mystified by Ash, he's a rather enigmatic child, if a well meaning one that tries to behave. There's almost a wish fulfilment there for an adult audience, adopting the loveable main character.

Litleonid

The SM series technically has Professor Kukui as a main cast member, or rather a supporting cast member. He is far more prominent than Oak, Elm, Birch, Rowan, Juniper, and Sycamore ever were during their main run in the series. Kukui is the main teacher and mentor to the main cast, while also working on his own goal of building the Alolan League and his secret career as the Masked Royal. I don't see any reason why we can't have an adult or young adult as a main cast member

D

Deleted member 384931

Lol like pokemon never had an adult character, See Brock. Does it mean that an adult character cant be childish sometimes???

nickdt

If we get a new Protag, then yes. But now i literally don't see the point, since Brock already filled the mentor role (And his role was done at the end of Sinnoh, else he would have still been a part of the Main cast i think).

And can't you consider Kukui as part of the main cast. He does more than the other Professors anyways.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Litleonid said:
The SM series technically has Professor Kukui as a main cast member, or rather a supporting cast member. He is far more prominent than Oak, Elm, Birch, Rowan, Juniper, and Sycamore ever were during their main run in the series. Kukui is the main teacher and mentor to the main cast, while also working on his own goal of building the Alolan League and his secret career as the Masked Royal. I don't see any reason why we can't have an adult or young adult as a main cast member

Kukui-hakase has a limited presence however since he's not always hanging out with the cast, so I don't consider him as a main cast member. But I will admit that as far as adults in this series go, he's one of the better ones.