• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should the Movies Return to the Theaters?

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Who thinks that the Pokemon movies in the USA should return to the movies, instead of Direct to DVD? But if there is a reason why they stopped doing that, then what is it?

For me, I think they should be back in theaters. They would make way more money, I believe. It woudl beat watching it on TV, cause of the commercials, and the DVDs are ok, but just after the movie is out of the theaters.

The last PKMN movie that was in theaters was I think Pokemon Heroes.

Besides Japan, what other countries still show the movies in theaters, or just have?

hmmm

Scuffle of Legends
yeah man! i remember going to see the 1st pokemon move right after school on opening day :):), and other kids actually missed school...:p

and then i saw movie 2 in the theatres and i loved it!

then movie 3 was straight to dvd and i was sad haha

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I saw the first 3 movies i theaters.

The 4th and 5th I wanted to see in the summer, but my cousins and my Aunt and Uncle overrule me, so I have to watch their boring movies in the theaters.

Well...I at least saw them in 2004-2005.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Each Pokemon movie made less in the box office as the previous.

Movie 2 didn't do as good as Movie 1, and Movie 3 did less than those two.

Pokemon isn't the fad it used to be, its no longer that wildy popular thing that it was back in 1998.

We're 10 years later, there's a big difference now.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Wow Australia wasn't the only one?
I think the last movie was either 1 or 2, can't remeber any others out (I know I saw Pokemon the first movie with one of my cousins, because I remeber one of them says I was crying when I wasn't, dunno why).

Australia is even lucky if it gets one movie in Dvd less alone the cinemas.

randomspot555

As said, the movies don't make a lot of money outside of Japan. Inside Japan, Pokemon is still a huge franchise. Outside of Japan, it's mainly the games (And appearances in other games, like Brawl) that are the driving forces of Pokemon

HoennMaster

No. Releasing them Direct-To-DVD makes them more money. Plus, older people like parents don't like seeing them and I prefer DVD. Although I do remember seeing Movies 1 and 3 in theaters. Good times. My brother and I were amazed (we were little back then) , I think Mom took a nap. :)

OBSESSED WITH PKNM

I'M BACK...MISS ME?
As said, the movies don't make a lot of money outside of Japan. Inside Japan, Pokemon is still a huge franchise. Outside of Japan, it's mainly the games (And appearances in other games, like Brawl) that are the driving forces of Pokemon

yeah, only the games are more important here then the movies are. i geuss that the first coulpe of movies were and always will be great!!! but than after a while they just didn't seem to fit the big screen. they seemed better on tv.

...lately the movies seem to get...well not the same as they were. they seem to be much different then they origially were. i now that i'm old fassion, but the first coulpe of movies where great. but the ones after jhoto, seemed to go lopsided if you ask me and more formed for tv. but thats just me.

i don't know it all depends on the movie or its plot. so yeah...i'm starting to ramble off on something useless that i forgot that i was talking about...

ShinyPalkia

I think here - in Finland - we still have them in theaters, but I have never watched a Pokémon movie in a theater, I have just heard the others have.

I don't mind though they don't show them in theaters (at least in the USA), though I must say it would be somewhat cool if they showed Pokémon movies in theaters. There's just something in it. :p

Rex Kamex

If they did that, I wouldn't mind, but... if they were planning on doing that, they should've started up again with the first D/P movie. But actually I'm fine with them just releasing the movies on TV and DVD (although I haven't bought the ninth and tenth movie DVDs).

i geuss that the first coulpe of movies were and always will be great!!! but than after a while they just didn't seem to fit the big screen. they seemed better on tv.

Japan didn't seem to think so.

...lately the movies seem to get...well not the same as they were. they seem to be much different then they origially were.

The movies that either had limited releases or went straight to DVD used all Japanese BGM (except for that "Spurt" one in the ninth movie, and some dub music in some extra scenes in the fourth movie), and I think that gives people different feels of the movies afterward.

Also, since it's expected that there's a new movie every year, the thrill of their being an exciting new movie might not be as present as it used to be.

i now that i'm old fassion, but the first coulpe of movies where great. but the ones after jhoto, seemed to go lopsided if you ask me and more formed for tv. but thats just me.

The ones after Johto only aired on TV/DVD. (Actually, I think the Jirachi movie had some kind of special showing on a big screen one time in America, but...) I think you're only thinking this because the only aired on TV.

Caelesti

dancing queen
-shrug- I'd love to have them back in theaters. It'd bring back a lot of memories, that's for sure. o_o' But, I guess we have to go to Japan for that to happen, ne?

Yuitheeevee

Pokemon Breeder
once you think about it, pokemon as a franchise sored then crashed,and now is soring again. so i think PUSA should get off their lazy butts and put the rest of the pokemon movies out in theatres. besides wouldn't it be cool if what they did in japan came to the US.(like the movie regigigas and shaymin). ad what better way to start puting pokemon movies out into theatres again is with the newest pokemon movie

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I like the first 2 the best, but 2 was my favorite. 3, I didn't like that much.

Direct-to-DVD may be better, but I think Movie 11 would be a better hit if, they would send it to the theaters, after seeing some trailers.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
They would lose money by going to the theaters, not that many people are Pokfans anymore (sad, isn't it?). They just couldn't afford to do that it wouldn't make anything any better for them.

But I remember going to see Pokemon the Movie 2000 with my brother (the one that controls my mind, before he hated Pokemon) and older sister and her friend and it was so awesome and my older sister and her friend fell asleep and if I talk about it today she says she knew it was crap because she thought it was so bad.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Ah. Good memories for all of us, but there gone.

I remember seeing Movies 1-3
1. I remember going to see it with my 3 friends and my mom, and my friend's mom.
2. ^Same
3. I think it was just me and my mom & my friend.

There are probably like 50 million fans during that time.
Today=maybe 2 million.

Red Jr.

Banned
Nah they shouldnt. Starting from the 4th movie, they got more boring each time. With the exception of the Lucario movie that is. The Manaphi was horrible. Pirate? Please.

esm8m

Pokémaniac
No. Pokemon is not very good when it comes to anime. Why should people suffer by watching it on a big screen? You'd be a teenager sitting in a theater full of home moms and toddlers watching a bunch of gays shouting: "YEAH PIKACHU! SHOW (INSERT MOVIE VILLIAN) THE SUPER POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!! THUNDERBOLT, YAY!" I'm glad it's no longer in theaters. It just took up open slots for good movies.

The movies, in my opinion, are much better than the usual show. The formulaic nature of the show that detracts so much from it and the blatant inaccuracies are both toned way down in the movies. (e.g. Thunderbolt not hurting either Quagsire or Torterra.) Besides, very few of the movies really have a villain in the traditional sense. And usually they just get beaten.

<fangirlism>Besides, there are no good movies these days that aren't Pokémon. They aren't taking spots for 'good' movies, because there are none.</fangirlism>

Another point... Although 'good' and 'not good' are subjective, I personally have liked the more recent movies more. The 7th and 8th were my favorite, although the 9th definitely fell from those heights. The movies have had their ups and downs, like everything.

As the previous part makes clear, I definitely want the movies back in theaters. I understand why they took them out, because making money is very important, but... I can still hope.

torchicflame

Big charmander fan!
I saw the 1st movie in theaters i think....that was a long time ago. I think they should be in the theaters it'll be neat to go to the movies with popcorn and friends and not have to wait till cartoonetwork shows it or wait till i have enougth money to buy it on dvd. but they could give us cards if they showed them at theaters still or something with the movie, like the 2nd movie.