• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should the Movies Return to the Theaters?

Personally, I think that the Pokemon movies one of the only genuinely good parts about the anime. I was really angry that I never got to see one in theaters...

OBSESSED WITH PKNM

I'M BACK...MISS ME?
Personally, I think that the Pokemon movies one of the only genuinely good parts about the anime.

i like the movies but i don't understand why do they never mention what happened in the movie in the anime again, that always bugged.thats why i somewhat don't like seeing some of the movies more then acouple of times...
so if anyone can anwser that question, then i'lll slittley be happy...

manaphee

新たなる誓い
I want them to come to the theaters because I'm only 10 years old... So in fact I was never really old enough to understand Pokemon by the time they left the theaters. The thing I don't like too much about the new D/P/P movies is that they're all about a huge fight between Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Darkrai, and Shaymin. I mean, the older movies at least had MORE different featured Pokemon than they do today.

Amazing Red

The movies got lame except for Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. So no they shouldn't.

BCVM22

so if anyone can anwser that question, then i'lll slittley be happy...

Very simple. The movies are, for all intents and purposes, optional viewing. The writers for the show cannot assume outright that all people watching the show have seen any/every movie and therefore they avoid using the movies as foundations for television stories.

They can't necessarily assume the opposite when it comes to past episodes of the show, but they can assume it to a far greater degree than they can for the movies.

The movies got lame except for Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. So no they shouldn't.

Which has tons to do with everything. Good call.

Rex Kamex

I honestly don't think the Lucario movie was that great, but... yeah.

The people deciding whether or not to put the Pokemon movies in the theaters would have to find something that guarantees the movies would to very well. But considering they went from giving the movies a wide release to giving them a limited release to putting them on DVDs (although the 6th movie had that special showing), they've found the opposite. As for D/P making Pokemon more popular and all that... I don't see Pokemon getting popular enough to put the movies into theaters.

If they were to release a movie into theaters... would I watch it? Well... if I do, it's probably because it could be the only one that'd get to be back in theaters, because if that movie did bad (I know someone's now thinking " 'if'?!") then they really would never release them into theaters again.

I still wouldn't mind going to Japan to watch a movie in theaters. (As if I could actually make it to a theater and communicate my way into buying a ticket and watching the movie.)

Very simple. The movies are, for all intents and purposes, optional viewing. The writers for the show cannot assume outright that all people watching the show have seen any/every movie and therefore they avoid using the movies as foundations for television stories.

They can't necessarily assume the opposite when it comes to past episodes of the show, but they can assume it to a far greater degree than they can for the movies.

And I personally like it that way. Not that I'd want a movie to not fit into the show whatsover (like have Ash capture a Pokemon in a movie and keep it until the end of the movie but never have it in the show), but I like the way that the show, for the most part, doesn't reference the movies. (But just because Ash sees a legendary Pokemon later on in the show and looks it up in the PokeDex doesn't mean he's shocked to see it and has never seen it before. He has never used hid PokeDex in the movies, anyway.)

OBSESSED WITH PKNM said:
it costs for me $10 to go to the movie, so i think that it's cheaper for the DVD to come out other then spend $40 for four people to go to a movie minus snacks!!!

You could go alone...

For me, the first movie was the only DVD that I got for less than $10, and I just got it back in June or July.

Igottapoo said:
not with that voice acting

Kids wouldn't care about that enough not to watch it in theaters.

OBSESSED WITH PKNM said:
ok now what do you think the reactiong would be to people if they had a pknm movie in theater. what do you think would happen???

because i think that a lot of people would see it, but not for the show, just for fun. and most of the people at my school would probly laugh at it...come to think about it i don't think that many will go, because i don't think that they would care...those are the only 2 out comes i can come up with for the reaction of if that happened

The second outcome is the one for me. The majority of the people who would watch the newest movie wouldn't be those that I've grown up with.

That's for many reasons. Suppose they were to release the 11th movie in theaters. The main humans of the movie are Ash, Brock, and Misty... no wait, that's not Misty. Who's that blue-haried girl? Some people might recognize Dawn as the playable girl character of the D/P games, assuming they even know what the playable characters even look like. But yeah, that would confuse the people who haven't watched the show in years. (I do realize that some people still play the games, but still...) But that's just one thing. First of all, they'd have to be motivated to pay to spend two hours of their afternoon weekend to watch a cartoon they haven't watched in years.

pikapokepower said:
i think they should TOTALLY return to theaters! it gets the pokemon name out there!

But... the Pokemon name's already out there. It was even more out there many years earlier...

and all of US like pokemon right?

Not everyone on this forum. (I do, but...)

theres gotta be thousands of us on this website. doesn't that count for something?

Many people who posted in this very thread said they'd be too embarrassed to go to theaters.

If the next movie that's released in theaters was going to be successful, it wouldn't simply be because of the people on this forum who would watch it. Also, if only one country, say the US, were to release the English version of a movie in theaters, not everyone on this forum would be able to go to an American theater to watch it.

manaphee said:
I want them to come to the theaters because I'm only 10 years old... So in fact I was never really old enough to understand Pokemon by the time they left the theaters. The thing I don't like too much about the new D/P/P movies is that they're all about a huge fight between Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Darkrai, and Shaymin. I mean, the older movies at least had MORE different featured Pokemon than they do today.

Movie 10 had Dialga, Palkia, and Darkrai. [SPOIL]Movie 11 has Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Shaymin, and Regigigas. Movie 12 should have Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and... Arceus. (I don't see them holding Arceus off a year.)[/SPOIL] My point is that not all of those Pokemon were in all of those movies, but I get what you mean.

Still... if the movies were to come to theaters, they'd be the D/P movies that have those legendaries, and I don't know if you would want that.

(I wish I could've seen the third movie in theaters, but... oh well.)

CyberCubed said:
I prefer them not going to theaters, makes the DVDs come out faster.

I've said this before, but I can't even make it to a movie DVD anymore because Cartoon Network keeps airing the recent movies on TV before they're released, so I just tape 'em. I see them airing the 11th movie on TV before the DVD is released. There haven't been any special features on the recent DVDs making me want to buy them. (The 10th movie DVD, actually, doesn't even have special features.)