• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should the National Pokedex be renamed?

Should the National Dex be renamed?

• Yes

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
With the introduction of more Pokemon back in GSC, came new ways to organize them in the handy dandy Pokedex. There was the Johto regional Pokedex and then there was the National Pokedex which was the initial Pokedex order from RBGY and then the monsters added from GSC. This made sense because although Johto and Kanto were separate regions, they were right next to each other/under the leadership of the same E4 and assumed to be the same nation.
In RS, the National Pokedex could be unlocked by trading over any non native Hoenn pokemon species. In subsequent games there were different methods to unlocking the National Pokedex mode. However, Unova is apparently really far away and is based on a different nation. By now, shouldn't the National Pokedex mode be referred to as the International Pokedex mode?

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
I agree All future pokemon games should include a FULL POKEDEX to end all problems

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
Well a nation (like japan) and Another (america) are not the same nation
Kanto, johto, Sinnoh, Hoenn, are Japan
Isshu (Will not use the name Unova) is America

Latios0311

Elite Trainer
I don't like the sound of "Internation Pokédex" for some reason.
Either way I don't see it as a big of enough deal where GameFreak would opt to change the name in Future generations, anyway.

TehLulzMastur

Worldwide Pokedex would make much more sense than ''national''.

Well a nation (like japan) and Another (america) are not the same nation
Kanto, johto, Sinnoh, Hoenn, are Japan
Isshu (Will not use the name Unova) is America
Just because the first four regions were based on Japan and Orre and Unova are based on America, that doesn't mean that the first four regions are Japan and Orre and Unova are America. Look at Pokearth, even though it's not official, and you'll get the idea.

centipede2000

Just because the first four regions were based on Japan and Orre and Unova are based on America, that doesn't mean that the first four regions are Japan and Orre and Unova are America. Look at Pokearth, even though it's not official, and you'll get the idea.

Pokeearth is in no way a reference as to what the pokemon world's geography looks like. We know for a fact that that Sinnoh is located North of Johto because of HG/SS but Pokearth shows it to be some island southeast of Kanto/johto.

Anyway it's not very important and I do agree that it would make more sense if it was called Worldwide Pokedex instead of National Pokedex.

sheppsea

I think you only really need to consider that each new game create a new region, not a new country, and I would assume all the games are set in different regions of the same country, so the national Dex is the right name in that sense (the regions could also be a group of countries from the same part of the world, but then every Dex should be an International Dex!)

On the other hand, I don't think it matters... what I think is the bigger debate is if the Pokemon's number should be changed in the National Dex with each new Generation so that Pokemon on the same evolution line appear next to eachother and in the right order (so the Magby, Magmar and Magmortar line would be Numbers 1, 2 and 3 (or whatever they would be) rather than 240, 126 and 467). It doesn't make sense to me that earlier evolutions in a line appear after later one!

I didn't mean to go off topic, but apologies if I did...

Last edited:

bel9

Pokeearth is in no way a reference as to what the pokemon world's geography looks like. We know for a fact that that Sinnoh is located North of Johto because of HG/SS but Pokearth shows it to be some island southeast of Kanto/johto.

Anyway it's not very important and I do agree that it would make more sense if it was called Worldwide Pokedex instead of National Pokedex.

Oh, I know this is pretty much just semantics and not really important. That was why I put it in pokepolls. It was a thought I had the other day.

I think you only really need to consider that each new game create a new region, not a new country, and I would assume all the games are set in different regions of the same country, so the national Dex is the right name in that sense (the regions could also be a group of countries from the same part of the world, but then every Dex should be an International Dex!)

On the other hand, I don't think it matters... what I think is the bigger debate is if the Pokemon's number should be changed in the National Dex with each new Generation so that Pokemon on the same evolution line appear next to eachother and in the right order (so the Magby, Magmar and Magmortar line would be Numbers 1, 2 and 3 (or whatever they would be) rather than 240, 126 and 467). It doesn't make sense to me that earlier evolutions in a line appear after later one!

I didn't mean to go off topic, but apologies if I did...

No, you're fine. This is a pretty open ended discussion.

Grei

not the color

The first four regions are their own nation, though. Unova is stated as being in its own nation, far away from the other four.

Calling it "National Pokedex" implies that it's the Pokedex for a specific nation, and we have more than one nation now.

Last edited:

Zachmac

Everyone is to picky....The other day I was asked if I thought the Ice type should be removed....

Just go with it.

bel9

Everyone is to picky....The other day I was asked if I thought the Ice type should be removed....

Hmm. I don't feel like this should be compared to something that changes the metagame. This is not some major game changing request or idea.

It was more just about the word national vs. international/global/world wide pokedex.

Anyways, Grei understood and summarized it pretty well

Aegon

Heh, I was just thinking about this. It doesn't make any sense for it to be called National Pokédex anymore, as Unova is not part of the main nation that previous regions are part of. I do think it should be renamed, but I don't really like "International Pokédex".

bel9

Heh, I was just thinking about this. It doesn't make any sense for it to be called National Pokédex anymore, as Unova is not part of the main nation that previous regions are part of. I do think it should be renamed, but I don't really like "International Pokédex".

Global Pokedex? I like that one the best.

Nebbio

NINJA!
Picky. "If something isn't broken don't fix it."

bel9

Picky. "If something isn't broken don't fix it."

Ha. Nothing is "broken" and nothing is being "fixed." It's just distinguishing an order. The National Dex distinguishes an order different than the regional pokedexes. As the games are expanded to different parts of the game world, doesn't it make sense to refer to the dex that contains Pokemon from multiple nations in the Pokemon world simply as the Global dex or something?

HoennMaster

No, it doesn't need to change because the concept of the nations in Pokémon is never explained.

The first four regions are their own nation, though. Unova is stated as being in its own nation, far away from the other four.

It's has never been stated the Unova is in a separate nation. The concept of nations in Pokémon has never even appeared in the main canon, just books.

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
How does "Global Pokédex" sound?