• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should the obese be forced to buy two plane tickets?

Pansy :]

anustart
I saw an argument rise up between my two friends over thisvtopic the other day, and I wanted to see what kind of replies came from you guys.
Many people say that incredibly obese people should be forced to buy two airplane tickets, as they quite easily may invade half the seat next to them, givIng their neighbor less space in a seat that they had paid for.
But is it really fair to charge someone extra for their weight?
And the airline won't just give out free extra seats to the obese, as thats losing money a paying passenger would put in their pockets.
Also enforcing it would be quite the problem to. Would they have you fill out a box giving your pant size when ordering a ticket? Or ask for your weight and hieght?
What do you guys think?

Absol6028

What did you say...?
I saw an argument rise up between my two friends over thisvtopic the other day, and I wanted to see what kind of replies came from you guys.
Many people say that incredibly obese people should be forced to buy two airplane tickets, as they quite easily may invade half the seat next to them, givIng their neighbor less space in a seat that they had paid for.
But is it really fair to charge someone extra for their weight?
And the airline won't just give out free extra seats to the obese, as thats losing money a paying passenger would put in their pockets.
Also enforcing it would be quite the problem to. Would they have you fill out a box giving your pant size when ordering a ticket? Or ask for your weight and hieght?
What do you guys think?

That's just sad in my opinion if someone had to buy 2 tickets because of weight. People say that we should be treated equally so we shouldn't have to buy an extra ticket for being 'obese'

BigLutz

Banned
I really see no reason why a overweight person shouldn't pay for two seats. If they are so fat they are spilling into the next seat then that means that the airline more than likely won't be able to use that seat. More important, airplanes are already calculated for a certain combined weight of all the passengers. More than likely if you are that freaking fat, you weigh at least twice as much as the calculated weight of a average passenger. So mathematically already you are costing the airline for two passengers via fuel. There is no reason why the airline should eat that cost because of the poor life decisions you made.

Absol6028

What did you say...?
I really see no reason why a overweight person shouldn't pay for two seats. If they are so fat they are spilling into the next seat then that means that the airline more than likely won't be able to use that seat. More important, airplanes are already calculated for a certain combined weight of all the passengers. More than likely if you are that freaking fat, you weigh at least twice as much as the calculated weight of a average passenger. So mathematically already you are costing the airline for two passengers via fuel. There is no reason why the airline should eat that cost because of the poor life decisions you made.

But I've heard of people who can't control their weight. I've heard of people who eat maybe once a day and are incredibly fat so maybe that person can't help it.

BigLutz

Banned
But I've heard of people who can't control their weight. I've heard of people who eat maybe once a day and are incredibly fat so maybe that person can't help it.

In which case they need to seek medical assistance to control their weight. But more than likely if you are THIS fat, that you cannot fit into a airline seat. It isn't because something is medically wrong with you, it is because you have no self control.

Absol6028

What did you say...?
In which case they need to seek medical assistance to control their weight. But more than likely if you are THIS fat, that you cannot fit into a airline seat. It isn't because something is medically wrong with you, it is because you have no self control.

That is always a possibilty. But you can't rule out having some kind of medical disabilty.

BigLutz

Banned
That is always a possibilty. But you can't rule out having some kind of medical disabilty.

For that very tiny fraction I can only say that is life. They have a disability, it is sad, but life is not easy, nor is it fair. They choose to fly, and because of their weight they are costing the airline the space and weight of two people. If they do not wish to pay the cost of the weight and space they are putting on the airplane then they should not fly.

Mankanshoku Mako

Sounds resonable enough, it'd be more physically comfortable both for the obese person and those around him if he was given enough room to fit himself in and the others had their seats to themselves.

Absol6028

What did you say...?
For that very tiny fraction I can only say that is life. They have a disability, it is sad, but life is not easy, nor is it fair. They choose to fly, and because of their weight they are costing the airline the space and weight of two people. If they do not wish to pay the cost of the weight and space they are putting on the airplane then they should not fly.

From what I remember, people always say 'People should be treated equally no matter what' and whether or not I just said that (I can't remember. It's 1:20 A. M here) making a person pay for 2 plane tickets because of their weight isn't treating everyone equally. I know for a fact that people don't think like that but hey, it's just an opinion I have.

BigLutz

Banned
From what I remember, people always say 'People should be treated equally no matter what' and whether or not I just said that (I can't remember. It's 1:20 A. M here) making a person pay for 2 plane tickets because of their weight isn't treating everyone equally. I know for a fact that people don't think like that but hey, it's just an opinion I have.

Umm actually you are treating the person equally. If you fit one seat you pay for one ticket, if you fit two seats, you pay for two tickets. If you are within the normal calculated weight of a passenger you pay for one ticket, if you are double the calculated weight of a passenger you pay for two tickets. By not making them pay for that phantom person they are carrying around we are not treating them equally.

Absol6028

What did you say...?
Umm actually you are treating the person equally. If you fit one seat you pay for one ticket, if you fit two seats, you pay for two tickets. If you are within the normal calculated weight of a passenger you pay for one ticket, if you are double the calculated weight of a passenger you pay for two tickets. By not making them pay for that phantom person they are carrying around we are not treating them equally.

I may not be overweight but I do have a walking disability and I have been treated different because of it. It's almost saying that since this person is bigger then the average person, they have to pay for another person when there isn't another person. Also, the reason I brought up me having a disability is so I could use an example. Say I wanted to compete in some kind of race or something along those lines but the only way I would get to is if it were ok with a doctor or something. That isn't treating someone equally just like making someone pay for 2 tickets if they can't control their weight.

Pansy :]

anustart

That makes absolutely no sense.
I think that it's fine to ask someone to please take two seats, but forcing them to PAY for two seats is entirely different, and unacceptable. Those tickets are pricey, and their getting the same thing as everyone else, just paying double

BigLutz

Banned
I may not be overweight but I do have a walking disability and I have been treated different because of it. It's almost saying that since this person is bigger then the average person, they have to pay for another person when there isn't another person. Also, the reason I brought up me having a disability is so I could use an example. Say I wanted to compete in some kind of race or something along those lines but the only way I would get to is if it were ok with a doctor or something. That isn't treating someone equally just like making someone pay for 2 tickets if they can't control their weight.

jenny123 said:
That makes absolutely no sense.
I think that it's fine to ask someone to please take two seats, but forcing them to PAY for two seats is entirely different, and unacceptable. Those tickets are pricey, and their getting the same thing as everyone else, just paying double

Well lets go with this, if say you were in a wheel chair, and severely disabled. The only way for you to go on a trip was for a helper to go along with you. Logically you would have to pay for two tickets, one for you, and one for the helper. That is not discrimination, there is a person flying with you, you have to pay for his ticket. That helper is taking up a seat, he is taking up fuel, he is taking up oxygen, the plane has to recoup those costs no matter what either through you or by raising ticket costs on the rest of the passengers. So you will pay for it.

It is no different here, the person is over weight more than likely from their own doing, and they are taking up fuel, they are taking up space. They need to pay for the cost.

Absol6028

What did you say...?
Well lets go with this, if say you were in a wheel chair, and severely disabled. The only way for you to go on a trip was for a helper to go along with you. Logically you would have to pay for two tickets, one for you, and one for the helper. That is not discrimination, there is a person flying with you, you have to pay for his ticket. That helper is taking up a seat, he is taking up fuel, he is taking up oxygen, the plane has to recoup those costs no matter what either through you or by raising ticket costs on the rest of the passengers. So you will pay for it.

It is no different here, the person is over weight more than likely from their own doing, and they are taking up fuel, they are taking up space. They need to pay for the cost.

Not every disabled person needs a helper though. But that makes sense because I do know people who do need helpers so I won't argue with that but whenever somebody can't control their weight, they shouldn't be forced to pay for 2 tickets. But that's just MY opinion and nobody will change it.

BigLutz

Banned
Not every disabled person needs a helper though. But that makes sense because I do know people who do need helpers so I won't argue with that but whenever somebody can't control their weight, they shouldn't be forced to pay for 2 tickets. But that's just MY opinion and nobody will change it.

Then you know what? Don't get on a flight. No one is forcing them to take that form of transportation.

Also lets not forget that some one DOES have to pay for that cost. It won't be the airline, and if it is not the fat person, the more than likely it will be the rest of the passengers through higher ticket rates. Why should the rest of the passengers pay for one person's problems?

Absol6028

What did you say...?
Then you know what? Don't get on a flight. No one is forcing them to take that form of transportation.

Also lets not forget that some one DOES have to pay for that cost. It won't be the airline, and if it is not the fat person, the more than likely it will be the rest of the passengers through higher ticket rates. Why should the rest of the passengers pay for one person's problems?

I don't understand what you mean in that but I'm going to bed. But before I go, I have to say that I guess it all really has to do with how you view things. Anyways, night all! <3

BigLutz

Banned
Actually no, most of the determaining factors in obesity are genetics... And nobody can control those.

If you are putting food in your mouth that you know will make you fat then you are in control. At the end of the day YOU control what you eat, no one else.

Peter Quill

star-lord

Despite the hypotheticals in which someone could only use this as a form of transportation, this is the base statement. Let's ignore if they were on a business trip or some weird factor. I paid for my seat, a seat that I can fit in. I'm generally a nice guy too, but if I'm taking a flight I'm usually cranky or whathaveyou. I paid for my seat, if you're obese and require two seats, tough. That's my seat, and you're not going to going to lift the bar so that you can "fit". You're already aware that you have some sort of problem. It could be due to your own negligence, or you can't really control it. Tough. You're not going to go into my space just so that you can fit on a damn airplane. You're already aware that you require two seats, you should buy both those seats.

Although I'm not sure that forcing is possible, you should definitely be considerate to other passengers.