• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

should the writers bring paul back to the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees4life

RONALDO!!!
Paul was the best rival for Ash bar none. All this discussion about this rival and that rival isn't going anywhere. Shooter will never be like Paul or be better than Paul PERIOD

kickachu

Momentai!
I think that they should so if Paul's still the jerk he used to be in Sinnoh he could be an anti-hero of the new series and might challenge Ash to another battle.

Grei

not the color
Paul was the best rival for Ash bar none. All this discussion about this rival and that rival isn't going anywhere. Shooter will never be like Paul or be better than Paul PERIOD

Now, now, you can't say that. It seems Shooti won't be like Paul in that he seems caring enough towards Pokemon, but you can't say he's only going to be worse than Paul. Once you have enough evidence to support your statement, then you can make that claim. Not before.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
But that's all a matter of opinion, we don't know for a fact if the Ash/Paul rivalry would have gotten boring or not.

It might have made Paul more popular among the fanbase since he was a favored character amongst a lot of viewers in DP, and to some, the series in general.

Yes, at the end of the day it all comes down to one's opinion. However, I have provided logic to back up my opinion, whereas you have provided next to nothing or not-so-convincing logic. Things like "we don't know if Ash/Paul rivalry would have gotten boring/stale", or "we don't know how Paul's character would have turned out in Unova", or "it might have made Paul more popular" just don't cut it. I could just as easily say the exact opposite to those statements. Please provide convincing ideas why the writers should have brought back Paul in Unova and how they would have made him as equally appealing to the audience as in Sinnoh. You can't just expect the writers to pull Paul randomly out of their *** and hope that the audience will keep on liking him.

might

Banned
Shooti is a much better rival then Paul anyday,the writers never plan to bring Paul to the Unova to begin with and Paul will not be coming back since he isn't all that popular,plus Paul is a DP character of the 4 gen region Sinnoh,Paul is not a new to the Unova region and he will not be coming back he is done for good,Shooti is a whole lot better then Paul anyways.

Krizor

Evil Genius
Yes, at the end of the day it all comes down to one's opinion. However, I have provided logic to back up my opinion, whereas you have provided next to nothing or not-so-convincing logic. Things like "we don't know if Ash/Paul rivalry would have gotten boring/stale", or "we don't know how Paul's character would have turned out in Unova", or "it might have made Paul more popular" just don't cut it. I could just as easily say the exact opposite to those statements. Please provide convincing ideas why the writers should have brought back Paul in Unova and how they would have made him as equally appealing to the audience as in Sinnoh. You can't just expect the writers to pull Paul randomly out of their *** and hope that the audience will keep on liking him.

I have already provided different logical reasons that the writers could have continued his story into Unova in my past post. Such as, having him go due to his brothers request, or to want to become a stronger trainer due to his loss in the SL, or to simply capture new Pokemon, etc. There is no logical way to determine whether or not these reasons would make him more/less popular or improve/ruin his rivalry with Ash because that's all based upon the viewers opinions.

QingLong

Hive Trainer
No, dude, you are making very little sense. I can just about make out what you are saying, but it's a struggle. Is English your first language?

Secondly, just saying to me "Paul wasn't significant as a rival, deal with it" really doesn't cut it as an argument. Instead, please detail precisely why he wasn't "significant" in your eyes. What did he to to lack significance? His "bland" personality is not a factor in whether or not he was significant to the overall story.

This is what a proper argument looks like:
How was he NOT significant? The writers deemed him to be such a significant character that they dedicated the series' first-ever three-episode battle to him, and had a Pokemon he formerly owned turn into one of Ash's major powerhouses. As well as the fact he made multiple appearances and had multiple battles with Ash, making him and his character development very significant to the overall development of the DP saga. Oh yeah, and he appeared in the opening, which surely must mean the writers are giving him some significance.

That's to say nothing of Paul's habit of releasing Pokemon he deems to be weak and Ash's opposition to that. It would also seem that the show itself is in opposition to that, since that was presented very clearly as a bad thing to be doing. Or, at the very least, the writers are.

Paul could even be said to be a commentary of competitive players, or a parody of them, and that is certainly significant.

I don't really see what's making Shooti any better than Paul right now, but to each his own I suppose.

I think he's trying to tell us that the rivalry between Ash and Paul wasn't much different compared to the one between Gary and Ash; in less words he's trying to say that the rivalry with Paul hasn't added anything of new.

Or maybe he's just saying this because he doesn't like Paul... >.<

Caseydia

Ace Trainer

I know Paul is great and all but that doesn't mean we should count Shooti out just because we want what we want. Let Shooti own up to his title as a rival and leave the Paul bring-back debate alone. All of the characters rivals were very good and most of them got pretty good exits. So lets let others continue making history.

might

Banned
Shooti beats Paul already as a character and a really great rival,Paul was never the best rival for Ash, but he was ok.

Antiyonder

Overlord
Now I think Paul could have been a reoccuring character all around since he's an anime exclusive rather than being a game character, but eventually it probably would get tiring to see this rivalry unresolved.

I think he's trying to tell us that the rivalry between Ash and Paul wasn't much different compared to the one between Gary and Ash; in less words he's trying to say that the rivalry with Paul hasn't added anything of new.

In that case disagreed (not with you, but the person you were addressing). Paul provided Ash with rival who was abusive to his Pokemon. Whether you like or hate him, their rivalry wasn't just about who was stronger, but whether treating your Pokemon as tools or friends is the more effective method of strengthening them.

Misty Lover17

Water Trainer
Well, that would be great, but not as exciting as seeing the really old characters. I do miss seeing Paul though.

Also, if Paul ever returns it would be cool for Ash to fight him again. It'd be nice if he would battle again against rivals that he barely managed to beat.

LexSuicune

Feraligatr Master
I don't think there's much of a point discussing this anymore, Paul's not coming back and I doubt he'll ever make a cameo either.

EifieChan

Cold *** Honky
They should have kept Paul as the BW rival. AND he shouldn't have lost the Sinnoh league to a pathetically weak trainer like Ash.
Paul had a good effect on Ash and he had more of a motivation to get stronger. I mean it's too late now, the writers did what they did, and I typically just roll with the characters, but There will never be a rival as cool and totally awesome as Shinji and I WILL miss him dearly. ),:

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Sorry, but bumping a topic which hasn't been posted in for over a month isn't allowed. Gotta close this :]

Status
Not open for further replies.