1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Should they bring contests back to the anime?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by PorcelainVulpix, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ "Christina"

That's going to be a problem for them since Marnie would have to battle considering her role as a rival in the games, and she doesn't seem like the incompetent type like Bianca or some of the other rivals either.

2. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Well remember that Serena was your rival in Gen 6 and she got retooled completely for the anime.

Lunalah likes this.
  3. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ "Christina"

Serena wasn't really tied into the story and plus she was a playable character too, unlike Marnie who has a completely different purpose as a rival. It would be a complete misrepresentation of her character if they changed her goal and made her a non battler or made her incompetent

Emelie, mysticalglacia and Sham like this.
  4. Blastmaster

Blastmaster Active Member

As much as I like Contests, it'd feel weird to have them back full time after 4 generations. I wouldn't mind them being brought up once or twice in Galar, but I think if they were ever gonna bring them back, it had to be in XY. I'd prefer for them to just keep trying new things since at this point Contests would feel more like a crutch than anything.
    I think those problems have less to do with the amount of battles and more just the direction of the series. Most of BW's most infamous battles are because the series intentionally wrote something stupid (e.g. Ash vs Elesa, Ash vs Cameron), and expected viewers to just roll with it for comedy or whatever else. In XY's case, it explicitly chose to have Serena rarely battle, but it's not like they couldn't have had her do it. Like, as awful as Showcases were, they were still pretty well choreographed, so it's also not like they were reserving everything for Ash's battles. It's just that they chose to have Ash as the only serious battler. I mean, personally I've always felt one of the anime's biggest draws is that battles have so much more freedom than in the games (like 95% of Ash's strategies are absolutely impossible in the games lmao). I don't think it's fair to say that battles are just getting stale when they have practically infinite potential in the right hands.

5. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

Wouldn't they need a 4 year series to make Contests viable? I mean, Showcases were super rushed but that was their fault for not starting them until episode 60. And Contests are essentially "Battles but flashier and with a preliminary round", and the writers definitely have a limited amount of creativity when it comes to writing battles.
    You've got that much faith in the writers still? They had six main characters in Alola, and used 3 of them consistently, one semi-consistently, and 2 barely at all.

janejane6178 likes this.
  6. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

I stopped having faith in the writers for me who only watched XY fully and fed up with their nonsenses. But I would feel bad for the Marnie fans if they screw the character so hard in the anime that she's unrecognizable comparing to her game counterpart.

7. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

I don't see that at all. I thought BW was a much better "battle anime" than XY was, because there were a lot of battles, they were fast, and we got three tournament arcs before the Pokemon League. This was especially true early on when most of the rivals and Ash had unevolved Pokemon, and were catching new stuff all the time.

What Best Wishes lacked was a high peak - very few fully evolvedl battles outside the end of the Junior Cup. So while I find the series memorable for its plethora of battles, I don't find many specific battles that memorable.

Moreover, the number of other battle-heavy cartoon shows tells me that Pokemon absolutely could go back to this style in Galar.

I think that was director's preference in XY and more an organic choice in SM. Serena stood out like a sore thumb among the backdrop of competitive trainers. Lillie, Mallow, Lana are like everyone else in Alola.

8. BlueDragonfangirl

BlueDragonfangirl Well-Known Member

I loved it the first time and it was done wonderfully the second time around but let's not push it. However the new competitions these days they bring in for the girls have been weird to say the least : /

MockingJ likes this.
  9. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

BW collapsed under its own weight during the League. I'd say it's pretty much agreed to be the worst of the Leagues so far. Not a good ending for the Ash/Trip rivalry, the Ash/Cameron battle has so many problems, the guy who wins it all isn't all that interesting. At least Tobias had an air of mystique around him even with his ridiculous team.

I'd rather the Elesa battle be entirely forgotten.

Lightning Bolt and Xuxuba like this.
  10. BulleDeChagrin

BulleDeChagrin Lillie best girl

Depends on what approach they will bring to Galar. As much as I loved XY, there was way too much filler that could've been spent developing Serena earlier on, so if they want to go back to an XY-like progression, then no, they won't have time to do Contests properly. If they do fewer fillers like in SM, then I don't see why they shouldn't be able to fit contests in, especially as SM was great with less filler, but with the characters not really having much purpose it didn't always feel right either. Combining the best of both worlds might do wonders.

11. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

No. I love Contests. But we saw what they could offer.

I would rather see them creating new competitions for each of the companions than have them repeat the same ones over and over again. It is already enough to see Ash participating in the League every year.

12. maartjeverhoef

maartjeverhoef Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind if they brought Contests back. If the main hero can have the same goal for the multiple series in a row so can female companions for all I care.
    In case they don't want to bring performing back, they could just give the female companion some variation of time-limited battling as a full-fledged goal.

13. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Contests were the most interesting and fun watch to fun in pokemon series.

Lunalah and MockingJ like this.
  14. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja ~Ice Cold~

After Sinnoh I had enough of them. Now three generations and three main girls later, I would very much like another shot.

Contest just perfectly fill the series with battles that are different from the "defeat the opponents Pokemon" standard and that tournament like system also provides more direct conflicts for the main girl and her rivals.

Now with the Galar league having a pretty big audience in gym battles, contest could also benefit from them. And since we're pretty much guaranteed to have contest this generation thanks to the DP remakes, they just could make Gloria a coordinator. That may be the last chance for contest to ever return.

15. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I agree that the writers are better off coming up with something new, especially in the Galar saga since there's so much potential for a new activity in that region. Reintroducing Contests in Galar would feel pointless to me since it would feel like taking two steps back as far as creativity is concerned.

16. Sham

Sham So proud of you

It wasn’t just Serena that stood out in XY for not battling almost every female in the series wasn’t a battler. They did knock off contests or were stagnant. Literally Shauna, Miette, Nini and Serena did little to nothing.

Leonhart and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  17. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

I hope not. What would it accomplish other than having the writers repeat themselves with their 3rd attempt at a Contest story line? It's such a boring idea. They need to be more original.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  18. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I agree that another female traveling companion having a Contest-related goal would be pretty boring unless the writers find a way to add a new element to Contests that would make them less repetitive than they were in AG and DP.

19. Moonlight Starlight

Moonlight Starlight Well-Known Member

Here's what I like to see in the next generation 8 activity .
    For me I wrote this on a another thread board in the spoiler section about having British sports game. Like having soccer would be great for the next pokegirl to do and Bea is the type I can see her having a different version goal than not as a gym leader in the game version but in the anime version. And I can see her fighting type Pokemon being great at kicking skill and one of them being the goaly.
    And also I saw this
    [​IMG]
    I say Bea would be great to get Scorbunny as her starter. Look at the common look.
    I see Bea as a sporty tomboy pokegirl as the next thing.

MockingJ likes this.
  20. Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt Well-Known Member

I definitely think Contests should return. If Ash can challenge gyms/trials for 8 regions in a row, so can his companions take part in Contests. There were some flaws with them, (I hate how the writers turned Jessie into a loser in AG just so May could look competent. At least she got redeemed in DP even making Top 4 at Sinnoh's Grand Festival) but there are just so much potential with them! I'd like if this time the male companion was a coordinator. It would be neat if the writers managed to give him a unique style compared to May and Dawn. Just pls don't turn him into a Marley 2.0. He doesn't need to be a stereotypical girly guy, but just a guy who likes Contest. Z-Moves would be interesting in these performances, as we have seen Oceanic Operetta being used like that. But Z-Moves probably will never return so whatever. It also make room for a potential May/Dawn return just so we can see how much they have improved. Dawn's return in BW wasn't that good, she deserved better. And I pray to Arceus Showcases will never return again. It felt like a bad version of Contests but without the things that made Contests interesting in the first place.

Lunalah and mysticalglacia like this.