• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should they change the starter types for the next game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi666

if it ain't broke don't fix it thats my honest opinion on the starter types its been fire grass and water since day one and it should always stay that way

PsychicsRox

I want the Psychic/Dark/Fighting types but that wouldn't work T_T. And is there even going to be a 5th generation in the first place?

MonferNOES!

YES THE SHOULD!
To make some creative starters this time,it would be best take soe different types. Hopefullly Dark/ Psychic/ Fight.

Rex911

Mightyena FTW!
How many times do people need to tell it..

Dark is immune for Psychic! This makes the triangle inpossible, one of the only other 'valid' options is Rock-Flying-Fighting.

Psychics learn more than JUST Psychic moves genius.

Maximillion

Fire Trainer
So if the primary types stay the same... the options for secondary types that haven't been done before would be Rock, Dark, Psychic, Ice, Bug, Ghost, Normal and Dragon.

Out of these, I doubt if Normal and Dragon are terribly likely. I'm not sure about Ice either, since there are already several Water/Ice types.

Haven't Psychic and Dark kind of been done already in Colosseum?

Cell

Infernal Informality
Psychics learn more than JUST Psychic moves genius.

No need to call me a genius, thank you.

Typical to the starter types:

Grass -not very effective- to Fire V
Fire -not very effective- to Water V
Water -not very effective- to Grass V

With Dark/Psychic/Fighting:

Dark -not very effective- to Fighting V
Fighting -not very effective- to Psychic V
Psychic -NO EFFECT- to Dark X

See what I mean?

Only Fighting/Rock/Flying would work:

Rock -not very effective- to Fighting V
Fighting -not very effective- to Flying V
Flying -not very effective- to Rock V

This would also make the first 'pure' flying Pokémon line.

Last edited:

Rex911

Mightyena FTW!
No need to call me a genius, thank you.

Typical to the starter types:

Grass -not very effective- to Fire V
Fire -not very effective- to Water V
Water -not very effective- to Grass V

With Dark/Psychic/Fighting:

Dark -not very effective- to Fighting V
Fighting -not very effective- to Psychic V
Psychic -NO EFFECT- to Dark X

See what I mean?

Only Fighting/Rock/Flying would work:

Rock -not very effective- to Fighting V
Fighting -not very effective- to Flying V
Flying -not very effective- to Rock V

This would also make the first 'pure' flying Pokémon line.

Ever thought that A Psychic type can have more than one type? Apparently not. -_-

RICH

just leave it alone the starters are fine plus there is already enough of a lack of fire types

Cell

Infernal Informality
Ever thought that A Psychic type can have more than one type? Apparently not. -_-

Then we're back to dual-typing, what's wrong with for example, Grass/Rock, Fire/Ice and Water/Flying.

Starters MOSTLY start with the same type, I'm trying to make a point with single types only.

And why not make the 'Dark Starter part Ghost, then it'll be immune for 2 things, oh and give it levitate, then it's immune for 3 things.
Dark is just a type that unbalances a starter triangle.

And if you're talking move-wise typings, if a Flamethrower hits a Blastoise, if a Solarbeam hits a Charizard, why shouldn't a Psychic hit the dark starter?

Unless the Psychics ability is Miracle eye, than it would work.

Last edited:
I dont know about changing the types, I kinda like Grass, Water, Fire but it would depend on the pokemon itself if there were new types for starters.

Rex911

Mightyena FTW!
Then we're back to dual-typing, what's wrong with for example, Grass/Rock, Fire/Ice and Water/Flying.

Starters MOSTLY start with the same type, I'm trying to make a point with single types only.

And why not make the 'Dark Starter part Ghost, then it'll be immune for 2 things, oh and give it levitate, then it's immune for 3 things.
Dark is just a type that unbalances a starter triangle.

Did you forget Bulbasaur? It's Grass/POISON No one ever complained.

My idea for dual type starters was: Fight/Water Dark/Fire Psychic/Grass see?

Those work just fine.

buttbug

Zephyr Trainer
Did you forget Bulbasaur? It's Grass/POISON No one ever complained.

My idea for dual type starters was: Fight/Water Dark/Fire Psychic/Grass see?

Those work just fine.

Well, no. In this case, Fight and Dark starters have a big advantage over the Psychic one - At least they can hit each other. Bulbasaur's second type didn't disrupt the balance, as Squirtle was still able to harm Bulbasaur with Water-type attacks. Same goes for Charizard and his flying. Besides, with a fighting starter you could beat up all the new Rattata's, Sentrets, Zigzagoons etc. :p

As for my opinion, I think they should stay with Fire/Grass/Water. My ingame teams need Fire/Grass/Water pokemon far more often than Dark, Fight or Psychic, I could always catch a Pokemon with these types later.

Phrexyian Garguantua

Gyarados Tamer
I like the basic elemental starting thingy.

Besides Dark and Psychic are COOL types. You have to wait to get them, duh.

Metagross_Pwns1

meh

I think they should keep the same base types but change the secondary type, torterra was able to super effect both of the other starters, and Empoleon was at a disadvantage to both starters (unless, of course, u werent being a noob and taught ice beam).

If they made different secondary tyes that formed a ring of super effects, it would be good.

Rex911

Mightyena FTW!
I think they should keep the same base types but change the secondary type, torterra was able to super effect both of the other starters, and Empoleon was at a disadvantage to both starters (unless, of course, u werent being a noob and taught ice beam).

If they made different secondary tyes that formed a ring of super effects, it would be good.

Your forgetting that Infernape can type triumph Torterra and Empoleon as well.

toyou321

Fire-Type Trainer
I like the fire/water/grass type starters, it's very elemental... but I am getting board with the Sinnoh region and hope that it won't take more than another two years for the next generation to come out... I hope there are more fire types and a better fire starter combination: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.