• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should we eat animals?

An animal
it lives
it breathes
it sleeps
it eats
it pains
it procreates
it loves
it feels sorrow
it dies
what of humans then
likewise
they too
are animals

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
An animal
it lives
it breathes
it sleeps
it eats
it pains
it procreates
it loves
it feels sorrow
it dies
what of humans then
likewise
they too
are animals

Which is why animals can eat humans! >:0

Icing Sugar

I feel bad sometimes for eating animals, but I hate a lot of vegetables, so...

Eloi

An animal
it lives
it breathes
it sleeps
it eats
it pains
it procreates
it loves
it feels sorrow
it dies
what of humans then
likewise
they too
are animals

Only people have identifiable potential for self-aware subjective experience, wherein other animals do not.

Fenix

Tremulant
Dug three pages, found nothing worth reading or remotely resembling a debate.

We do not need to eat animals (key word need).
This is true.

But should we eat animals? No we shouldn't. Why? Because it's a major contributor to world hunger, enviromental pollution and poverty. The meat producing industry is a VERY inefficient industry (when you take in consideration amount of resources and funds spent -> amount of food produced).

I'm not even going to tap into the ethical and spiritual issues of eating meat. Or how revolting some of this industries by-products are, stuff the average non-vegetarian human consumes tons of.

I don't have a problem with people that choose to eat meat, it's their choice, but when people claim that their personal choice - eating meat - is the right and natural thing to do, I'm not going to accept it.

Pokefan1023

Pokemon Breeder :)
I'm a vegetarian. Eating meat disgusts me because I always imagine a dead animal in a slaughterhouse :/ that's why I stopped eating meat! :) but, I don't argue for or against vegetarianism because my decision was a very personal one; nor do I have anything against people who eat meat. However, I just tell people to think about what they're putting in their stomach and how much the animal probably suffered for it. Maybe if slaughtering animals becomes much more humane, I would consider going back to eating meat.

Just my two cents. Another thing - even if you don't care about the animals one way or another, think about how disgusting and horrific the meat industries are and how unsanitary things are. Well, the majority of the meat people are.

Last edited:
...but when people claim that their personal choice - eating meat - is the right and natural thing to do, I'm not going to accept it.

*turns on the National Geographic Channel*

???

What's not natural about eating meat? I just caught, skinned, filleted, and stuck in my freezer a nice big catfish. What's not "right" or "natural" about that? People have done it for thousands upon thousands of years. Your'e the newbie to this dance. I'd say vegitarianism is not "natural" because for hundreds of thousands of years that has not been the norm.

Fenix

Tremulant
*turns on the National Geographic Channel*

???

What's not natural about eating meat? I just caught, skinned, filleted, and stuck in my freezer a nice big catfish. What's not "right" or "natural" about that? People have done it for thousands upon thousands of years. Your'e the newbie to this dance. I'd say vegitarianism is not "natural" because for hundreds of thousands of years that has not been the norm.
The thing is though, how many times you eat meat you "caught, skinned, filleted, and stuck it in your freezer" the source? Even if you do it all the time, the average person doesn't do it 0.01% of the time. Which implies relying on the meat industry, and I already explained about that.

And what is it with bringing up thousands of years ago? Ever heard of evolution? Just because Neanderthals did something doesn't meant it's also "natural" to do for us. Neanderthals also lived in caves and wore skin. You might claim that vegetarians are the newbies (we are not), but that doesn't make our eating habits any less natural. Actually I believe humanity should have dropped eating meat centuries ago, about the same time they stopped burning people for witchcraft, but sadly humanity doesn't always evolve the way it should.

[And our great ancestors were mainly frugivores, just fyi.]

Last edited:

littlea53

Prince of Darkness
Maybe if slaughtering animals becomes much more humane, I would consider going back to eating meat.

I eat/kill animals humanly. I go into my backyard, wait for a hog to wander, shoot it in the head, dress it, and store it. Is that humane?

Chris-kun

i still believe
The thing is though, how many times you eat meat you "caught, skinned, filleted, and stuck it in your freezer" the source? Even if you do it all the time, the average person doesn't do it 0.01% of the time. Which implies relying on the meat industry, and I already explained about that.

And what is it with bringing up thousands of years ago? Ever heard of evolution? Just because Neanderthals did something doesn't meant it's also "natural" to do for us. Neanderthals also lived in caves and wore skin. You might claim that vegetarians are the newbies (we are not), but that doesn't make our eating habits any less natural. Actually I believe humanity should have dropped eating meat centuries ago, about the same time they stopped burning people for witchcraft, but sadly humanity doesn't always evolve the way it should.

[And our great ancestors were mainly frugivores, just fyi.]

We didn't evolve from Neanderthals. The Neanderthals went extinct. Your example is foolish.

Eating meat is completely natural and anyone who thinks otherwise is really foolish.

Don't misunderstand me, the choice to not eat meat is entirely a personal one and if someone belies that it is right for them then all the power in the world too them. It's their choice. It's not alright to force your opinion and call people who eat meat are "unevolved." Especially when the evolution of the human brain is directly tied to the introduction of meat into our ancestor's diets. If someone chooses to eat meat that's their prerogative and is perfectly fine. Humans are naturally omnivores, there is nothing wrong with eating meat.

Last edited:
Your original statement did not exclude meat from a source unrelated to the meat producing industry. You left yourself open when you said you weren't going to stand for people saying meat-eating was right and natural. Your inclusion of the phrase "right" implies also that you are discussing the ethical and/or spiritual issues you claimed you weren't tapping into.

Actually I believe humanity should have dropped eating meat centuries ago, about the same time they stopped burning people for witchcraft, but sadly humanity doesn't always evolve the way it should.
At about that time (though you might be mixing the much earlier "burned Protestants at the stake" with "sunk witches in the lake" etc.), there was almost no "meat producing industry" in the way you describe. Farming and hunting were the norm in colonial America.

You haven't adequately supported the statement that the meat-producing industry has increased world hunger, environmental pollution, and poverty.

Pokefan1023

Pokemon Breeder :)
I eat/kill animals humanly. I go into my backyard, wait for a hog to wander, shoot it in the head, dress it, and store it. Is that humane?

If you're actually being serious, I'd say that's a step in the right direction. But again, I'm not sure that even if all companies/people slaughter animals the way you say you do or in some painless, safe way I would eat meat even then. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Porgon-XYZ

Wut are you saying?
It's not like a shark isn't going to eat because your a human.

Porygon-XYZ said:
It's not like a shark isn't going to eat because your a human.

Sharks don't hunt humans; They bite/attack humans because they think that the humans look like their natural prey, seals.

Basically, you can eat whatever you want to eat. Meat is a wonderful source of protein, though you can get protein through beans/peanut butter/whatever. So what you eat comes down on preference and preference alone.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
I say there are certain animals we should not eat, and I mean of coarse BESIDES humans. I don't feel good eating meat knowing many chicken, fish, cows, pigs, and other creatures are being slaughtered inhumanely, but not eating them won't bring them back, and very few people are willing to stop eating meat to stop it from happening. What I CAN'T stand however is seeing EXOTIC animals slaughtered for American consumption that don't even taste much different that other animals. I also don't get why Hoodia rats need to be slaughtered for medicine. (Yes, Hoodia is an animal. It's a type of rat.)

TurboOneTwenty

The WiFi Noob
I don't think it's wrong to eat meat, I don't agree with on how many animals are slaughted though, I think evry living thing is entitled to a painless a possible death and nothing as grusome as things like slaughthouses.

Personally I only eat white meat (chicken and turkey's only, I don't like duck) and I stopped eating red meat back in Janurary 2009, I tried giving up white meat as well but there aren't alot of foods I actually like and I began craving chicken.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Only people have identifiable potential for self-aware subjective experience, wherein other animals do not.

Point? Seriously.

Also, vegetarians are not scum, by the way.

Last edited:

FroTW

*** gladio et sale
I don't have a problem with people that choose to eat meat, it's their choice, but when people claim that their personal choice - eating meat - is the right and natural thing to do, I'm not going to accept it.

But how is vegetarianism natural? Don't you have to figure out ways to get protein and other such vitamins that is mainly found in meat? Tofu sure isn't natural. I have yet to see a tofu tree anywhere which means that it must be created which is not natural. But I could be wrong on this, after all I don't know much about being a vegetarian