• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shovel Knight

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
[img139]http://cdn3.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Shovel_Knight_Logo.jpg?57efa4[/img139]​

Yacht Club Games developed their first game via the aid of Kickstarter. That game is Shovel Knight, a platformer evocative of the 8-bit glory days of the NES, but made with sensibilities that can appeal to newer gamers as well. The game draws noticeably from titles including Mega Man, Castlevania, DuckTales, Zelda II, and SMB3; it's been praised for its personality, gameplay, tight controls, and soundtrack, and received mostly positive reviews.

Shovel Knight is $15, and is currently available on PC, Wii U, and 3DS. The soundtrack is available for download here, and you can buy t-shirts here. An interview with designer/director Sean Velasco and pixel artist Nick Wozniak is available here, in which the two discuss the game's development and Yacht Club Games's plans for the future. Programmer David D'Angelo discusses the technical limitations of the NES that Shovel Knight abides by and subverts here.

Use this thread to discuss the dirt concerning this piece of shovelware.

Blues OVO

Casual Trainer
I've been hearing a lot about this one lately, can you download it on the 3DS e-shop? If so, how much is it?

frogofdoom555

(>:O) FFFFFFUUUUUU
I am really enjoying this game. As a person who is god-awful at the platformer genre, I really do think it's a fun piece of the genre.

For me, my favorite knight is Plague Knight, and the easiest for me was Treasure knight. Definitely recommend it.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
a platformer evocative of the 8-bit glory days of the NES, but made with sensibilities that can appeal to newer gamers as well.

So basically, nothing at all like the 8-bit era. (jk)

Maybe, though, this will get people to stop whining about how Zelda 2 is apparently ~*bad*~ because it's different, which just sounds like "I've never played it before." I've yet to play Shovel Knight, and about all I know about it is: 1. the gameplay I've seen looks pretty solid; and 2. a bunch of people who have clearly never played a video game released before 1998 are implying that it's kind of a Mega Man clone. Yes, Mega Man, who uses a shovel and digs up dirt and had a currency counter at any point prior to MM7 and who can only fight at melee range and

like, how much wronger can you be, discounting the realm of politics?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I've played Shovel Knight, and while I gave up on it (I'm too much of a baby now, it's too hard for me), it's really well made, controls very well and Jake Kaufman did an excellent job on the soundtrack as usual.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I wish I could get this on my 3DS, but it isn't out in the UK yet. It looks really good. I like games from that era and with even better controls, which are always appreciated.